Hide
5 Posts

Munchkin Collectible Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Modern ruleset stuck in a 90's era distribution model... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
Does anyone else feel like this game has certain elements stuck in the 90s? The CCG model itself is not great (IMO) but not the end of the world, but also the no-reprint policy, the ultra-rares, etc, all just feels like late 90's early 2000's era Magic distribution.

Are there any positives to the distribution model (from the player side) that they seem to be adopting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bithlord wrote:
Does anyone else feel like this game has certain elements stuck in the 90s? The CCG model itself is not great (IMO) but not the end of the world, but also the no-reprint policy, the ultra-rares, etc, all just feels like late 90's early 2000's era Magic distribution.

Are there any positives to the distribution model (from the player side) that they seem to be adopting?

As Munchkin is a parody of roleplaying games, poking fun at various bits of RPGs from all time, the new Munchkin Collectible Card Game pokes fun at TCGs and CCGs. The extremely rare cards, for example, are primarily for collectors and are not needed for powerful decks. Many of the rarest cards are alternate art cards of commons and uncommon cards.

For those interested in the reprint policy, please see this:

http://munchkinccg.game/news/2017/oct/reprint-policy/

The most important part of the reprint policy is the info on reprinting individual cards and protected cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe none
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am actually quite happy by this decision for making the ultra rare cards not all OP chase cards. I think the fun in chasing the rares for Munchkin, as far as I can tell, will just to be "I have this cool version of the card and you don't" but we're both still on equal footing when playing the game. Really cool decision SJG!

As with all Munchkin stuff, there's so many rare items to play the game with (bookmarks, promos from other games, etc), so I can't wait to see what all gets introduced down the road as ultra rare collectible cards for the CCG game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corvettejoe wrote:
I am actually quite happy by this decision for making the ultra rare cards not all OP chase cards. I think the fun in chasing the rares for Munchkin, as far as I can tell, will just to be "I have this cool version of the card and you don't" but we're both still on equal footing when playing the game. Really cool decision SJG!

That pretty much covers the plan, yes. You can build some pretty wicked decks using just commons and uncommons, so you don't need to feel that extremely rare cards are necessary to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The collectible model we're using isn't actually attached to anything retro; this is how pretty much every major collectible card game operates currently. As a parody of CCGs, we tried to make higher rarities interesting, funny, but not necessarily ultra powerful. Lots of them are alternate art versions of lower rarity cards. The distribution model lets you play out of the starters just fine for 2 players and $20, and you can collect, or even draft from boosters if you want. The draft format is great for new players to grow the collection or just to play a different format, and doesn't work as well out of the living card game or deckbuilding model.

As always, there's always the standard Munchkin for folks who don't want to collect the set, or just using the starter decks. Either way, thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.