Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Maximum Apocalypse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stealth Test(s)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Throwin Rocks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about stealth tests.

I move onto a tile with a monster token. I successfully perform a stealth test. I perform several actions on that tile with the token, and my turn ends with me still on the tile with the monster token.

Therefore, my next turn starts with me on the tile with a monster token. Do I have to perform a NEW stealth test, or does the old one from my last turn still count?

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhoehler wrote:
I have a question about stealth tests.

I move onto a tile with a monster token. I successfully perform a stealth test. I perform several actions on that tile with the token, and my turn ends with me still on the tile with the monster token.

Therefore, my next turn starts with me on the tile with a monster token. Do I have to perform a NEW stealth test, or does the old one from my last turn still count?

Thanks.

I don't have the rule book with me this moment, but I'm pretty sure you only have to do the stealth test when entering a space with a monster token, not starting your turn in one.

EDIT: Got home, checked rulebook, confirmed the above.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhoehler wrote:
I have a question about stealth tests.

I move onto a tile with a monster token. I successfully perform a stealth test. I perform several actions on that tile with the token, and my turn ends with me still on the tile with the monster token.

Therefore, my next turn starts with me on the tile with a monster token. Do I have to perform a NEW stealth test, or does the old one from my last turn still count?

Thanks.


I second the above. You only have to roll for stealth when entering the tile.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gnade
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur that Dan/Rich are correct
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throwin Rocks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies, everyone. I'm really enjoying this game. In spite of my questions, I find it very intuitive and thematic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Raymond
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And as the game i'm playing right now:
As the Hunter just succesfully snuck on the Van tile with 2 monster tokens on it,at the start of the Surgeons turn she rolled a 6 so;
does the new token added trigger 3 monster cards in front of the Hunter?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lemmykilmister wrote:
And as the game i'm playing right now:
As the Hunter just succesfully snuck on the Van tile with 2 monster tokens on it,at the start of the Surgeons turn she rolled a 6 so;
does the new token added trigger 3 monster cards in front of the Hunter?

No, once you're on a tile, you don't need to keep re-rolling stealth tests or anything like that. The Hunter will draw the one card for the spawn monsters roll, but not have to draw two more for the tokens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Raymond
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool
Thanks guys!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
XeyneGaming wrote:
dhoehler wrote:
I have a question about stealth tests.

I move onto a tile with a monster token. I successfully perform a stealth test. I perform several actions on that tile with the token, and my turn ends with me still on the tile with the monster token.

Therefore, my next turn starts with me on the tile with a monster token. Do I have to perform a NEW stealth test, or does the old one from my last turn still count?

Thanks.

I don't have the rule book with me this moment, but I'm pretty sure you only have to do the stealth test when entering a space with a monster token, not starting your turn in one.

EDIT: Got home, checked rulebook, confirmed the above.


Does this mean the only way to turn monster tokens into drawn monsters after a successful stealth check is to leave the tile then return and choose not to do a stealth check? That seems both inefficient and thematically weird. Can I just choose to encounter/ draw monster for a tile I am on? That is, can I effectively choose to stand up and stop hiding rather than need to run out of a farm to the city and back again in order to get noticed?

I find this situation comes up when I enter a tile in bad shape (hungry, wounded, out of ammo, etc.) so I stealth in and catch a breather. However stealth then (if monsters have to stay tokens) becomes a hunger/action penalty once I am in better shape. With the new scavenging rule, hunger and action efficiency are a bigger deal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaplin717 wrote:
Does this mean the only way to turn monster tokens into drawn monsters after a successful stealth check is to leave the tile then return and choose not to do a stealth check? That seems both inefficient and thematically weird. Can I just choose to encounter/ draw monster for a tile I am on? That is, can I effectively choose to stand up and stop hiding rather than need to run out of a farm to the city and back again in order to get noticed?

I find this situation comes up when I enter a tile in bad shape (hungry, wounded, out of ammo, etc.) so I stealth in and catch a breather. However stealth then (if monsters have to stay tokens) becomes a hunger/action penalty once I am in better shape. With the new scavenging rule, hunger and action efficiency are a bigger deal.

Yes, that's what it means. There is no ability in the printed rules that allows you to do as you described.

My real question is why you would even want to draw monster cards after successfully stealthing? You haven't described how it is a penalty to not have to spend actions to fight monsters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
Last night there was a game with the Open Field right in front of the Van. The Van had three monster tokens. It was a two player game with both the Fireman and the Gunslinger starving and very hurt. The Fireman was in the Open Field after just clearing it, but didn't want to end turn there and so he successfully stealthed to the Van to heal and eat for 1 point. The Gunslinger was a bit away trying to scavenge the last mission item. He then planed to bolt to the Van, but a failed stealth check would have killed him. There was not any food and starvation was a serious threat at that point.

In order for the slightly better off Fireman to clear the way, he has to spend two actions to move back to the Open Field and then back again to the Van to de-stealth and clear the way for the Gunslinger. This was risky too as he'd only have two actions (instead of having all 4 if he could just jump out of the shadows) to deal with 3 monsters and further risk more on a 6 roll during the Gunslingers turn. In the end the fire extinguisher saved the day.

Yes, technically the Gunslinger could have dropped off mission items then just died, but I think that's sort of robotically implausible as was the idea that the Fireman has to hike across the world in order to stop hiding. But while the game does tell cool stories, it is a game. I'll just keep in mind that removing stealth takes 2 actions plus potentially a neighboring tile's effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, it doesn't sound like there is a significant reason why we need to leave the tile to return and draw the monster cards. Seems more to me like the scenario just never came up often enough for Mike Gnade to make a rule regarding it.

Maybe he'll have some thoughts on it, and make a clarification in the new, forthcoming version of the rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.