Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom» Forums » General

Subject: How dark and dirty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Steelman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I feel a bit like Randy on the old show “My Name is Earl”. In the pilot episode Earl’s x-wife sends him poison cookies but her new husband tells Earl they are poisoned so he won’t eat them. Then Randy, Earl’s dim witted brother comes in and after Earl says, “Don’t eat those Randy, they’re Poison”. Randy picks one up and asks... “how Poison?”

So, I recognize it’s ironic but I will ask anyway. I have read the rule book for this game and it seems like it is awesome. I also really like the art as it appears in the manual and the box and on BGG. But I have realized that in 2018, dark and dirty can get darker and dirtier than I and my friends find fun.

Can anyone give me a sense of what this game calls dark and dirty? Is it Sword & Scorcery dark or Conan dark or Kingdom Death Monster dark and dirty? I don’t want to buy a game that my family and friends won’t play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would call it neither dark nor dirty. Surreal, maybe. A couple of the pics or names might offend certain sensitive persons (Castle Cockenballs). It's in no way "raunchy", though. Not for kids, necessarily (e.g. drug references), but not Rated NC17, either.

i tend to think of it as Punk merges with Monty Python. (edit: with Punk taking the larger share.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
While I haven't play KDM & don't know much about the setting aside from seeing the shitty hentai content and immediately saying "NOPE". I would say this is more like Conan but without the casual racism, xenophobia & misogyny. Or at least when it's there it's not portrayed as 'heroic'. So you won't find any missions to "rescue the ('supple') helpless blonde bombshell from the scary black man", but you will find all manner of cruelty in an absurdist, comical, or satirical sense. You can do drugs, kill people & eat them.. if you want.. or you can also play a guy who gets bummed out when he kills someone.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Not for kids, necessarily (e.g. drug references), but not Rated NC17, either.


Kids love Dungeon Degenerates! When this guy played it at age 10 his review was "I want to play this every single day"

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cultofmars wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Not for kids, necessarily (e.g. drug references), but not Rated NC17, either.


Kids love Dungeon Degenerates! When this guy played it at age 10 his review was "I want to play this every single day"


i have no doubt that kids love it, but were i responsible for a child's upbringing (which, thankfully, i am not), i wouldn't let that child near it . Maybe 13+, but no younger (if i were a guardian or ostensible role model, e.g. if i were someone's Uncle Steve).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

i have no doubt that kids love it, but were i responsible for a child's upbringing (which, thankfully, i am not), i wouldn't let that child near it . Maybe 13+, but no younger (if i were a guardian or ostensible role model, e.g. if i were someone's Uncle Steve).


fair enough!
FWIW I played this game when I was probably 7 and I turned out fine whistle

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9123/fabulous-furry-frea...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
cultofmars wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Not for kids, necessarily (e.g. drug references), but not Rated NC17, either.


Kids love Dungeon Degenerates! When this guy played it at age 10 his review was "I want to play this every single day"


i have no doubt that kids love it, but were i responsible for a child's upbringing (which, thankfully, i am not), i wouldn't let that child near it . Maybe 13+, but no younger (if i were a guardian or ostensible role model, e.g. if i were someone's Uncle Steve).


It is art. It is game. No different than watching a rated R movie with a kid. It is fine as long as you are a good parent.

Censorship has no place here as far as I am concerned. But education does!

My parents never shielded me from the real world once I was old enough to understand what that is?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Virzo
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not simply dark and dirty...

To me, Dungeon Degenerates seems more like an adventure sandbox featuring a bunch of Unlucky Punk Rambos under heavy LSD trip.

Period. Mic drop.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are people in this forum time-travelers?
How can you have played this at 7, 10, or 13 years old and now be an adult?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
when I wrote "this guy" I was referring to the guy in the photo, who is not me (although he does bear a certain resemblance to Sean...)
He was 10 when he first played the game although now he is 12 or 13(I believe his birthday was last week). He got to play the prototype well before the game came out.


The game I played when I was 7 was not DD but if you follow the hyperlink you will see what game I played.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer. I was hoping you were time travelers. I forgot my lunch this morning and I would have asked if you would go back in time and grab my lunch and leave it in my fridge at work.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Steelman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cool, I’m definitely getting this game then. Castle cocknballs is not what I would call raunch. I would call it cheek. Maybe obnoxious. It makes me raise my eyebrow. I won’t be playing it with my kids, but I don’t play Sword & Scorcery with them either because it’s too complex.

The thing is, any game where you are a murder hobo is pretty dark. But there are levels of dark. As someone pointed out there is the hentei movies and such. But being an escaped criminal who has to kill his way through the world is dark but that doesn’t bother me.

Generally, my repulsion is connected to how probable it is that the scenario might happen to someone I care about.

Oh, and finally, I will censor media for my kids every day of the week and not appologize for it. But I’m not presuming to make decisions for those who are not my dependents.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
cultofmars wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Not for kids, necessarily (e.g. drug references), but not Rated NC17, either.

Kids love Dungeon Degenerates! When this guy played it at age 10 his review was "I want to play this every single day"

i have no doubt that kids love it, but were i responsible for a child's upbringing (which, thankfully, i am not), i wouldn't let that child near it . Maybe 13+, but no younger (if i were a guardian or ostensible role model, e.g. if i were someone's Uncle Steve).

My brother & I have played it with his 7-year-old daughter, and it's really not a problem to filter out or adjust some of the content. Like, when the mission is to assassinate people, you just tone it down to "roughing them up." The one borderline card I've seen is the Sex Dwarf, but she doesn't know what that is any more than I do; we just know we stomp that little bastard first.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cultofmars wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

i have no doubt that kids love it, but were i responsible for a child's upbringing (which, thankfully, i am not), i wouldn't let that child near it . Maybe 13+, but no younger (if i were a guardian or ostensible role model, e.g. if i were someone's Uncle Steve).


fair enough!
FWIW I played this game when I was probably 7 and I turned out fine whistle

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9123/fabulous-furry-frea...
Eric: I didn't know FFFB had a game...and now I do. Thank you for that.

To OP: If you like and or liked satire, HeavyMetalPunkLoudF-U-Music, and are a reasonable person. This game is fine for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
To OP: If you like and or liked satire, HeavyMetalPunkLoudF-U-Music, and are a reasonable person. This game is fine for you.


Only two, or maybe even 1.5, of those need to apply. i can't stand metal, punk, or "deliberately obnoxious" music (except for the Bloodhound Gang, because they're especially clever about it) and i like DD enough to have bought a second copy :-D:

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Äaberg
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monty Python & Terry Gilliam & other BBC comedies like the Young Ones & Black Adder are basically our humor structure for the game. The cultural elements are underground comix - but decidedly less raunchy & irresponsible, horror & science fiction zines of the like which HP Lovecraft came out of, the cottage industry RPGs of the 70s & early 80s where they were a bit much for 8 year olds to be playing - but that was part of what made them awesome, 80s Metal & Punk imagery & attitude - extending to the sort of place where Kerrang & White Dwarf crashed into each other in 1987 - the sort of 80s fanzine feeling, etc. All of it could be on TV easily. No problem.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my life 1985 to 87 - listening to "Matching Tie and Handkerchief" back to back with "Spreadin' The disease". Making up rules for a Strontium Dog RPG, discovering Lovecraft through Metallica and the pages of White Dwarf...Spending every Saturday walking around the Virgin Megastore vinyl maze, picking albums out by the cover and title alone, then off to the games section or GW itself to pick up Fury of Dracula or the latest Talisman expansion... Glory days for a 13-15 year old - gone way too soon.


Sean Aaberg wrote:
Monty Python & Terry Gilliam & other BBC comedies like the Young Ones & Black Adder are basically our humor structure for the game. The cultural elements are underground comix - but decidedly less raunchy & irresponsible, horror & science fiction zines of the like which HP Lovecraft came out of, the cottage industry RPGs of the 70s & early 80s where they were a bit much for 8 year olds to be playing - but that was part of what made them awesome, 80s Metal & Punk imagery & attitude - extending to the sort of place where Kerrang & White Dwarf crashed into each other in 1987 - the sort of 80s fanzine feeling, etc. All of it could be on TV easily. No problem.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
msteelman wrote:
The thing is, any game where you are a murder hobo is pretty dark. But there are levels of dark. As someone pointed out there is the hentei movies and such. But being an escaped criminal who has to kill his way through the world is dark but that doesn’t bother me.


I don't know about everyone else, but Dungeon Degenerates makes me feel the inverse of this, like my poor characters are the ones trapped between a world of murder hobos and freaky fascists.

msteelman wrote:
Generally, my repulsion is connected to how probable it is that the scenario might happen to someone I care about.


Unless someone you care about regularly has fever dreams while witnessing a parade for pagans wearing pumpkins on their heads, I would say no.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.