Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Western Legends» Forums » General

Subject: Fantastic Liveplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite a late start, and a fuzzy video, the Kolossal team delivered a very entertaining and informative 6-player liveplay that showed just how effectively different strategies can work, including the balance of short term vs long term rewards. Many who were already backing the game were even more excited by the time the game finished.

A couple key points that came up during the live play.

We can expect discs to replace the cubes to mark the story goals, because they look better.

The fight deck will be relocated in the final game to reduce the chances of bumping the wanted track.

Curious who won?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Bass Reeves ended the short game (15 points to trigger the ending) with an impressive 31 points, proving the viable long-term strategy of the Marshal track, and capturing Billy the Kid who had managed to make it to the third row of the Wanted track!
13 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Despite a late start, and a fuzzy video, the Kolossal team delivered a very entertaining and informative 6-player liveplay that showed just how effectively different strategies can work, including the balance of short term vs long term rewards. Many who were already backing the game were even more excited by the time the game finished.

A couple key points that came up during the live play.

We can expect discs to replace the cubes to mark the story goals, because they look better.

The fight deck will be relocated in the final game to reduce the chances of bumping the wanted track.

Curious who won?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Bass Reeves ended the short game (15 points to trigger the ending) with an impressive 31 points, proving the viable long-term strategy of the Marshal track, and capturing Billy the Kid who had managed to make it to the third row of the Wanted track!


I started off so strong!!! It was playing that ace to reach the 3rd space that sealed my fate!!! And, ya know, being wounded to near death.
9 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It was informative. I want to rewatch at some point. I look forward to playing it my self.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Houle
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
DIE
badge
WESTERN
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to watch later because of work... now watching at work.. :whistle
so it turns out i added the gumbo discussion. where do i find the playthrough?
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Was Ronald the artist playing today? If so, I forgot to congratulate him on excellent art.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - thank you to the Kolossal team for a fun afternoon (at work!). The play through was quite enjoyable and informative. I also was impressed with Kira's finish in 2nd despite having some "issues" at the poker table early on.

Travis, kudos on a great start - I honestly thought you were going to run away with it. But then all the Marshals started hunting you (perhaps due to some prompting from the peanut gallery whistle)

It was a fun experience and I thought Mark and the team did a great job of balancing fun play with answering questions, explanations on the fly, etc.

Good work and I can't wait until August....and beyond!
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seyit Cinici
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
All systems will bow to the First Order!
badge
#BenSwolo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The video on KS shows only the last 8 mins for me. Could you upload your plays to YouTube please. So it can be viewed in higher quality. KS video player really is terrible.
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I join the request for a video on YouTube. If at all possible...upload it there please.
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kira Peavley
msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
Agreed - thank you to the Kolossal team for a fun afternoon (at work!). The play through was quite enjoyable and informative. I also was impressed with Kira's finish in 2nd despite having some "issues" at the poker table early on.

Travis, kudos on a great start - I honestly thought you were going to run away with it. But then all the Marshals started hunting you (perhaps due to some prompting from the peanut gallery whistle)

It was a fun experience and I thought Mark and the team did a great job of balancing fun play with answering questions, explanations on the fly, etc.

Good work and I can't wait until August....and beyond!


Thank you! I am bummed I didn't win but happy I gave Mary a good showing, despite my gambling woes.
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kira Peavley
msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerit wrote:
I join the request for a video on YouTube. If at all possible...upload it there please.


We'll get it uploaded and share the link once it is up!
5 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game World
United States
Springfield Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the link, they just uploaded it

https://youtu.be/7a-evLLTtO8
9 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I really hope the discs thing is considered for more than just "looks".

Using discs for the story event cards sounds like a bad idea to me.

For one, discs are typically not as tall as cubes and harder to pick up.

Secondly, it also requires more cognitive load. Not only do you need to identify colour you also need to identify shape, from a pool of these resources (no, I won't be sorting and spitting them, that's unnecessary setup overhead - it's pretty cognitively simply to identify a colour from a pool. Now there's two variables, colour and shape).

Thirdly, there's now an inconsistent look across the game. One could equally argue that all cubes (marshal, wanted, and LP track) should also be discs, as there's no reason not to (in fact, discs are easier to slide on tracks than cubes are since they have a larger flat top surface). So why single out story event cards? I hope this is still open for discussion. My preference is cubes for everything, mostly because I find them easier to pick up.

I'd be ok with discs for everything, but please make it all one way or the other.
5 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Drizzt
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really dont get the changing to discs for looks either. Big deal if they're cubes.....

Anyway, I was curious about the story card in the beginning. Did it say if you end your turn in a location outside of town you place your cube on it? Reason being at the end of the last dude on the first turn he moved to get closer to the mine for prospecting (i believe one space above the river) and they said he was at first but then said he wasn't on a location outside of town, he was at a random state outside of town (around the 16:15 mark of the vid), so he didn't get to add his cube to the card. It's hard to tell from the video but it looks like he wasn't on a space with anything written on it or within the border of anything. Did I see that correctly? Was wondering why he wasn't allowed to trigger that card.

Is a location outside of town only the spaces bordering the towns? Cuz technically any space outside of a town is a location outside of it.
4 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Each town has a large very visible border encircling it. You're either inside that border or outside of it. It's very easy to determine.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Each town has a large very visible border encircling it. You're either inside that border or outside of it. It's very easy to determine.
I believe the point here is that he wasn't at a "location" - which, according to the rules is basically a spot with one of the symbols (i.e. NOT any empty space - but one with a "mine", "train" or "cattle" symbol on it)

ETA: The rules do not specifically call the train a "location" - in fact they say "Rail Station space" - so I'm not sure if that would be considered a location for the purpose of story cards.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Drizzt
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
I believe the point here is that he wasn't at a "location" - which, according to the rules is basically a spot with one of the symbols (i.e. NOT any empty space - but one with a "mine", "train" or "cattle" symbol on it)


Ah, ok, that makes sense then. Thanks.

KoalaXav wrote:
Each town has a large very visible border encircling it. You're either inside that border or outside of it. It's very easy to determine.


I'm aware of that, thanks.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.