Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if someone can confirm the timing for use of the manned buildings Hospital and F. Alchemy.

From the rules it seems that a manned Hospital allows the 5 graves to be removed immediately during the city building phase, as you can use this power to open up new spots for building. Am I correct in assuming that the manned Hospital triggers in this phase?

For F. Alchemy, the rules state that you can use it when building countryside buildings on the map to allow you to open a new spot to build. Does this mean that F. Alchemy must be used during your turn in this phase of the game? Is it possible to wait and use this ability later in a game turn before you are placing pollution out on the map? We had a situation come up in our most recent game where one player wanted to do this to prevent the other players from putting pollution in his area, but we all felt that it must be used during the countryside building phase.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell White
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think there is anything in the rules to support using Alchemy at any time other than when building countryside buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree on that. In the rulebooks the buildings (as well as other things, like saint's powers) are covered in paragraphs in the phase, when they can be uses. Hospital on page 7 is part of the "Phase 2: City Building" chapter, Faculty of Alchemy on page 9 is covered in "Phase 4: Countryside Buildings", while for example the Dump, which is the proper building for preventing pollution by other players, is on page 11 ("Phase 9: Pollution").

Note, that you can use Alchemy any time during your "Countryside Buildings"-turn, and this might be exploited to build smaller or bigger fields, depending on your needing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both. I agree with your interpretations of the rules from my reading, but I told my friend I would double check on the geek for our next play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone still uses the java version, just check there. I've asked all of those questions years ago when programming it but I don't really remember the answers any longer. I'd concur, though, that you can only use the buildings during the proper phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.