Subject: Healing Point Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Wiltshire
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I am new to Mage Knight, and so far only a few games under my belt, but I like it more each time I play. A question came up the other day in a two-player game that I was not able to find a clear answer for. Here is the situation:

I had 3 wounds in hand, plus a wound on a unit, after a rather dicey (but thankfully, successful) Draconum battle to end a round. In my next turn (in the new round), I used every card I could play to move to a Monastery, with nothing left to buy healing that turn. However, I was at +3 on the reputation scale, which I know in normal turns adds +3 to the amount of influence you can spend.

So my question: with 1 heal costing 2 influence at the Monastery, can those reputation points be spent just like influence, in absence of spending any cards, as my action for that turn, to buy 1 healing point? Or can you only use that when added to influence via card? Since we couldn't find the answer, we agreed that it could be used, but I want to make sure we are following the rules properly.

We are both new to tabletop gaming, so forgive me if any of this is obvious.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

When you use your action for the turn as interaction, you have no requirement other than be in a place where you can interact.
When you start interaction, you start with a bonus or malus influence from your reputation, but then you are not required to play any more effects.
If you do, they can come from any source : skills, units, cards.
You can even spend a unit you just recruited to interact further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you get the reputation bonus/penalty when you declare that your action for the turn is "interacting"-- before you've played or not played any cards. If you have a positive reputation modifier (like in your case), you can spend those Influence points just as if you got them from an action card, unit, or spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wiltshire
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Great, thank you both! I was hoping this was the case. I figured unless it specifically stated otherwise in the rules, it was probably allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note: you still have to play a card in your turn. If you can't play a card during your turn (not the interaction, the whole turn), it is incorrect.

So, if you moved to the monastery playing cards, then everything is fine: you an heal there without playing any card.

But if you start with only wounds at hand(*), you can't go to a monastery and heal a wound, even if you have units/skills that would allow that (you had played no cards in a whole turn, that isn't allowed). In that case, you are forced to rest.

(*)Exceptions: Some skills allow you to play a wound card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mistabrad wrote:
So my question: ...

Just so you'll known where you could have found the answer: Page 7 of the rules, under "Interacting with the Locals" (It actually notes "If these bonuses are high enough, you may interact without playing any Influence effects.")

nomrefuse wrote:
When you start interaction, you start with a bonus or malus influence from your reputation, ...

grasa_total wrote:
I think that you get the reputation bonus/penalty when you declare that your action for the turn is "interacting"

That is not the case. On page 7 you can read: "3. Total the Influence points provided by all your cards and effects. The total amount is then modified by your Reputation". I don't think there is any practical difference though...

syzygia wrote:
Just a quick note: you still have to play a card in your turn. If you can't play a card during your turn (not the interaction, the whole turn), it is incorrect.

And just to appeal to the god of corner cases...

+ "except if your hand is empty but there are still cards in your Deed deck at the beginning of your turn"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned a new round. To be sure, do you know when starting a new round, all cards, including wounds, are reshuffled to form a new deck? So you may not necessarily start with wounds in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wiltshire
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the additional notes! I was aware of that part of the rules, it was just the interpretation we weren’t sure of. It seemed too good to be true at the time!

And yes, I did reshuffle, and only had one would in hand at that point, hence my being able to move all the way to a monastery (which wasn’t close). I’d have needed a second turn to make it there otherwise.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.