Subject: Graeae and monster with guard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rene Wenzel
Austria
Graz
Österreich
flag msg tools
If a monster is standing in the surroundings of Graeae and guards a non-monster, must the attacker discard an art of war card to attack the guard (the monster)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no, because you are declaring the attack. The monster is guarding after the declaration has gone through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fax Gerat
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would say yes. Because if you have Graeae plus any monster with guard basically all your deities gain Aphrodite's abbility. Whenever you try to attack your opponents deity the guardmonster uses guard, and the aattcker has to pay an art of war card in order to attack the guard. This means you cannot attack the deity if you dont have an art of war card. wait, thats quite overpowered. I say: no! Wait, I alreay said this because this happened in our game goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wenzel
Austria
Graz
Österreich
flag msg tools
maerlyn wrote:
i would say yes. Because if you have Graeae plus any monster with guard basically all your deities gain Aphrodite's abbility. Whenever you try to attack your opponents deity the guardmonster uses guard, and the aattcker has to pay an art of war card in order to attack the guard. This means you cannot attack the deity if you dont have an art of war card. wait, thats quite overpowered. I say: no! Wait, I alreay said this because this happened in our game :goo:

a good strategy for this would be having AoW cards. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nope nope
msg tools
humankapital wrote:
If a monster is standing in the surroundings of Graeae and guards a non-monster, must the attacker discard an art of war card to attack the guard (the monster)?

Yes, it is officially confirmed = link

Quote:
Imagine a God, protected by a powerful Guard like Cerberus, who is in turn covered by the Graeae. If you attack the God then Cerberus can Guard them. And, because he’s in the area of the Graeae’s Power, you now need to pay an AoW to complete your attack...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petlik666 wrote:

Yes, it is officially confirmed = link

Thanks, you made that one easy.

Added to FAQ list:

2Graeae
Yes. Confirmed in KS stretch goal comments.
Re: Graeae and monster with guard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fax Gerat
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And once again I stand corrected, thanx a lot nope nope.

One more question on Graeae: she carries these eyes which are treated as an omphalos, but only she can use them properly. Am I correct in assuming that:

1. she would loose these eyes if she got mighty thrown into another area.
2. every other monster can pick them up (similar to claiming an omphalos) but the main point of this would be either bringing them to graeae or preventing graeae from having the eyes.
3. if graeae ever claims an omphalos she has to drop the eye (because you cannot carry two omphalos and the eye counts as an omphalos).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tepes Gesufal
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that we can keep this question opened even if the KS comments mentionned clearly an answer. Many things changes between the KS and the rules publication.

Nowadays, I'm not sure that the KS answer is the right one (post-release).

"completed an attack" is not a rules' wording, there is no phase for that in the attack sequence.

What happen if you don't have an AoW ? You can't predict if the guard talent will be used or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Then your attack is wasted it seems, and you took that gamble while knowing the Graeae and that guard are there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maerlyn wrote:
And once again I stand corrected, thanx a lot nope nope.

One more question on Graeae: she carries these eyes which are treated as an omphalos, but only she can use them properly. Am I correct in assuming that:

1. she would loose these eyes if she got mighty thrown into another area.
2. every other monster can pick them up (similar to claiming an omphalos) but the main point of this would be either bringing them to graeae or preventing graeae from having the eyes.
3. if graeae ever claims an omphalos she has to drop the eye (because you cannot carry two omphalos and the eye counts as an omphalos).

Graeae's wording is similar to Sisyphus but a little different:

Sisyphus
"(The Rock) is treated as an omphalos for purposes of claiming and dropping."

Graeae
"(The Eye) is dropped and claimed exactly like an omphalos..."

For Sisyphus we have this "implied" ruling in the FAQ list:
Sisyphus
Seems pretty clear the interpretation is: "he can manipulate the rock like an omphalos, but it's not an omphalos so he can claim both omphalos and rock." Needs official confirmation.

I think the same logic would apply to the Eye. It is treated like an omphalos but it is not an omphalos ... and doesn't take the place of an omphalos...

So for #3, I would currently say that isn't correct. But let's see what Monolith says. I will add this.

3Graeae
Same question as Sisyphus, but about the eye. Does claiming the eye mean she can't claim an omphalos? Will she drop the eye if Mighty Thrown, etc. Needs official confirmation.
Re: Graeae and monster with guard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.