Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Late arrival to the Pathfinder universe.

I love it but after reading the rule book at least 4 times, there are a few questions that remain not clear. I searched the forum but could not find an answer.

1- Barriers often have a special defined damage on their card if undefeated. Do we also apply the damage due to the difference between the difficulty and the check result? I think NOT.

2- Same question for monsters? Is that special defined damage on top of the regular damage due to the difference between the difficulty and the check result? I think YES.

3- When you have undefeated a barrier that does only state a defeated condition, you reshuffle that barrier into its location deck? I Think YES.

4- When you finish exploring/encountering a card, you decided to discard card to explore another card. Are you still on your explore step? If so, because you cannot explore outside an explore step, how can you justify the use of another spell used in combat if you did the same thing during your first explore? I understand the fact that you can only use 1 type of cards during a check but as mentioned in the rules, this during a step is not permitted...unless this is another explore step. However, this is not written in the rules.

5- If you use a card to examine and explore a card as your first exploring during your turn, you cannot explore another location without playing card that allows it. So in fact, doing the reverse would be preferable. I think YES.

6- When you rebuild your deck after a scenario, can you remove a card from your deck and replace it with another basic trait card (ex: change spell card) or you can only add cards if you do not have enough of a certain type? I think NOT.

Thanks

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
owll wrote:
Late arrival to the Pathfinder universe.

I love it but after reading the rule book at least 4 times, there are a few questions that remain not clear. I searched the forum but could not find an answer.

Welcome!

owll wrote:
1- Barriers often have a special defined damage on their card if undefeated. Do we also apply the damage due to the difference between the difficulty and the check result? I think NOT.

Nope. Unless a power says they deal you damage, barriers don't deal you damage by default. Only monsters deal you damage for failing a check to defeat them.

owll wrote:
2- Same question for monsters? Is that special defined damage on top of the regular damage due to the difference between the difficulty and the check result? I think YES.

Monsters deal you damage for failing to a check defeat them. The amount is equal to the difference between the result of your check and the difficulty. This is combat damage by default.

Some monsters will also say, "If undefeated, you are dealt 1d4 Fire damage." That would be in addition to the damage for the failed check.

So, if a monster had:

Check to defeat: Combat 10 THEN Combat 12
After you act, you are dealt 1d4 Fire damage.
If undefeated, you are dealt 1d4 Cold damage.

Then, if you rolled an 8 on the first check, you'd take 2 Combat damage. If you then rolled a 4 on the secon check, you'd take 8 Combat damage. You'd then take 1d4 Fire damage, then you'd take 1d4 Cold damage.

If you'd gotten an 11 on the first check and a 12 on the second, you'd just take the 1d4 Fire damage, because it isn't conditioned on the outcome of the checks.

If the monster said "If the check to defeat does not have the Magic trait, the monster is undefeated." Then, if you rolled an 11 on the first check and a 13 on the second, but without the Magic trait, you'd take 1d4 Fire damage (no condition) and 1d4 Cold damage (it was still undefeated despite you succeeding at the checks).

owll wrote:
3- When you have undefeated a barrier that does only state a defeated condition, you reshuffle that barrier into its location deck? I Think YES.

By default, all banes (monsters, barriers, henchmen, villains) are shuffled back into the deck if undefeated. Their powers or a location's powers might change that and tell you otherwise.

owll wrote:
4- When you finish exploring/encountering a card, you decided to discard card to explore another card. Are you still on your explore step? If so, because you cannot explore outside an explore step, how can you justify the use of another spell used in combat if you did the same thing during your first explore? I understand the fact that you can only use 1 type of cards during a check but as mentioned in the rules, this during a step is not permitted...unless this is another explore step. However, this is not written in the rules.

Each time you do that you create a new copy of the explore step.

owll wrote:
5- If you use a card to examine and explore a card as your first exploring during your turn, you cannot explore another location without playing card that allows it. So in fact, doing the reverse would be preferable. I think YES.

Right. But, keep in mind there are things that feel like exploring that aren't. If a card says "Examine and encounter" that isn't exploring. It is only exploring if it says "explore". You can "examine and encounter" outside of your explore step.

owll wrote:
6- When you rebuild your deck after a scenario, can you remove a card from your deck and replace it with another basic trait card (ex: change spell card) or you can only add cards if you do not have enough of a certain type? I think NOT.

You cannot. Only if you don't have enough among the whole group.

Good luck on your adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard! You might also enjoy these resources for your play sessions:

Mummy's Mask Adventure Guide

PACG Hero Backstories

PACG Blessing Deck Deities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andrew and Neil.

Andrew, your explanations are very clear. But the "extra copy explore step" is never in the rules. I understand that this explanation is a good way to overcome that difficulty in the rules but where are they written in the rules: I can't find them...even in the Faq?

Thanks a lot for helping.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
owll wrote:
Thanks Andrew and Neil.

Andrew, your explanations are very clear. But the "extra copy explore step" is never in the rules. I understand that this explanation is a good way to overcome that difficulty in the rules but where are they written in the rules: I can't find them...even in the Faq?

Thanks a lot for helping.

Owll

That comes from Vic Wertz, the official decision maker for the rules of the game. He says it here. I would have linked it before, but Paizo's site was actually down when I responded initially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Hawkmoon, the resident sage.

One clarification, though:
“Hawkmoon” wrote:
By default, all banes (monsters, barriers, henchmen, villains) are shuffled back into the deck if undefeated. Their powers or a location's powers might change that and tell you otherwise.

As I think we all realize, the resolution of an undefeated Villain is usually more complicated than just shuffling him/her back into the deck (unless there is only one open location).

To the OP: be sure to read the FAQ on paizo.com, and check out Hawkmoon’s dated but still relevant guide for new players in the Rise of the Runelords files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. Yeah, villains are obviously shuffled in a bit differently. Thanks for the assist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right,
Thanks to everybody.

Now, I have to go pathfinding...

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.