flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn Order and Loyalty
Alex (French)
Rick (French)
Carmen (Dutch)
Ally (British)
Ben (British)

This one came down to the wire. Skipping to the end. The Flying Dutchman had 2 chests on the French side. The Jolly Roger had 4 chests on the British side. Tortuga was split 1-1. Ally (B) was the lone player on the Jolly Roger. Rick (F) was on the Flying Dutchman rowboat and Alex (F) was on the Jolly Roger rowboat. Carmen (D) was Governor and Ben (B) was second on Tortuga. The score was 5-3 British.

By the end we all knew each others' loyalties. French and Dutch had to work together to keep the British from winning. On Carmen's (D) turn she revealed a Letter of Marque and put Rick (F) on the Jolly Roger with Ally (B). Both Ally (B) and Rick (F) had an Albatross so they were marooned to Tortuga leaving the Jolly Roger open for Alex (F) to hop on board and start moving some chests. Ally (B) then revealed the Facade card letting her swap place with Carmen (D) making Ally (B) the Governor of Tortuga. Ben (B) then revealed a Pistol shooting Alex (F) marooning him on Tortuga. Alex (F) and Rick (F) both looked at event cards. Carmen (D) revealed a Letter of Marque moving herself to the Jolly Roger. This caused the Spanish Armada event to enter the final row with everyone on Tortuga except Carmen (D) on the Jolly Roger with 4 British chests. The score was still 5-3 British.

Ally (B) drew a blind Event with a 1 in 5 chance of ending the game and got Cabin Fever. Since her team was up 5-3 she chose Ben (B) so they both remained British. Ben (B) drew a blind Event with a 1 in 4 chance of ending the game and found Stormy Seas. He was on Tortuga, so nothing happened as the treasures there were already split 1-1. Alex (F) looked at two event cards. Rick (F) also looked at event cards. Carmen (D) moved a treasure from British to French tying the game at 4-4.

Now Ally (B) called a Brawl. Alex (F) had a double French Vote card, plus the blind draw was French. This pushed the score to 5-3 French. In desperation Ben (B) drew an Event, but ended the game with the Spanish Armada.

I thought for sure it was over and the British couldn't lose. Then for a moment I thought Carmen (D) was going to win. In the strange case that during Ally's (B) brawl the blind draw had been British it would have resulted in a 4-4 tie. Then Carmen (D) would have had a 1 in 3 chance of ending the game and winning on her turn.

Tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Carpenter
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Fun read. Thanks for sharing, Rick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are loving this game, for exactly the kind of last minute changes you're talking about. But you might want to double check the rules for future plays.

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that only a Cabin Boy, positions 3-5, can move treasures from one side of the ship to the other. So if one player is the only one on the ship, that player is the Captain and can't move a treasure. They can order an attack on the other ship, but that is risky when you only have your card and the blind draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pattersonclan wrote:
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that only a Cabin Boy, positions 3-5, can move treasures from one side of the ship to the other. So if one player is the only one on the ship, that player is the Captain and can't move a treasure.
No, sorry, you're playing wrong. The Cabin Boy is the pawn in last position. So, if there is only a single pawn on a ship, they're both Captain and Cabin Boy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
austicke wrote:
Pattersonclan wrote:
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that only a Cabin Boy, positions 3-5, can move treasures from one side of the ship to the other. So if one player is the only one on the ship, that player is the Captain and can't move a treasure.
No, sorry, you're playing wrong. The Cabin Boy is the pawn in last position. So, if there is only a single pawn on a ship, they're both Captain and Cabin Boy.

I'm glad I read this session report, then. I guess that's the problem of reading the rules once and playing a few times; you can miss something. We had been playing that anyone in positions 3-5 could operate as a cabin boy, not just the last person in line. We'll be sure to fix that the next time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.