Tokyo Metro» Forums » Rules

Subject: End(s) of the Line rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played a few solo games now, and have come to a few questions and an observation.

Q: Do trains turn around at the last station then return to the starting station, or do they simply leave the board at the last station and re-appear at the first (assuming invested in)? This isn't actually covered in the manual.

Q: When placing a train on the map for the first time, does it payout the first station (if the station exists)? Does it payout immediately, or when the train moves in the train phase?

Observation: Depending on the above answers, the first station, and the last station on a line, are worth far less than all other stations. Is this intentional?

Thanks for the great game, I can't wait to get it and all it's glorious components. This will have to suffice for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
1. It is covered, albeit in passing - it says in two places that trains make round trips to the highest-numbered station "and back." It should be made clearer.

2. That definitely isn't clear. I would say it does pay out, but not until the train phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Q: Do trains turn around at the last station then return to the starting station, or do they simply leave the board at the last station and re-appear at the first (assuming invested in)? This isn't actually covered in the manual.

When trains run (except for the Start action), they remain on the board for the rest of the game, turning around when they reach their last station.

Quote:
Q: When placing a train on the map for the first time, does it payout the first station (if the station exists)? Does it payout immediately, or when the train moves in the train phase?

Payouts occur during the Train Phase when at any time a train marker touches a station. A payout outside of the Train Phase only happens when you use the START action, which would indeed give a payout for each station it passes, including its start location.

Quote:
1. It is covered, albeit in passing - it says in two places that trains make round trips to the highest-numbered station "and back." It should be made clearer.

Agreed.

Jordan, feel free to correct me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Upon further reflection I don't think that a train pays out for its start station when it starts, at least not with the current rules (in the Kickstarter). A train definitely doesn't pay out for the station it starts the train phase at in general, as otherwise trains would double-pay for the stations they end on the previous turn. So it would require a special rule that on a train's first turn on the board they pay for their start station; there's no such rule currently.

I'm not sure what this means:

Quote:
A payout outside of the Train Phase only happens when you use the START action, which would indeed give a payout for each station it passes, including its start location.

There's nothing in the current rules that says that station payouts happen when the Start action is taken. The sentence "Station payouts are as usual" refers to the overall movement of the train mentioned in the previous sentence. The train doesn't actually move during this action so it's no different from it starting via Invest as far as station payouts are concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Draper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Upon further reflection I don't think that a train pays out for its start station when it starts, at least not with the current rules (in the Kickstarter). A train definitely doesn't pay out for the station it starts the train phase at in general, as otherwise trains would double-pay for the stations they end on the previous turn. So it would require a special rule that on a train's first turn on the board they pay for their start station; there's no such rule currently.

There will never be a point of double-payment for a station. The starting station will not be payed out when a train is placed, as payouts only occur when a train moves into a station during the train movement phase. Thus, don't build a station on the 1 spot of a train line, it will not make you much income... Also, don't build a station on the last stop either, as it is hit only half as often.

tool wrote:
I'm not sure what this means:

Quote:
A payout outside of the Train Phase only happens when you use the START action, which would indeed give a payout for each station it passes, including its start location.

There's nothing in the current rules that says that station payouts happen when the Start action is taken. The sentence "Station payouts are as usual" refers to the overall movement of the train mentioned in the previous sentence. The train doesn't actually move during this action so it's no different from it starting via Invest as far as station payouts are concerned.

Travis is incorrect on this ruling actually (to be fair he hasn't played the game and is going off of my written rules, which aren't perfect yet!). The start action doesn't actually run the train immediately, it simply places it on the map on it's 1 space. Everything else runs as normal during the Train Movement Phase as you mentioned Dan.

Thanks for the clarifications! If you have anything else let me know. We'll update the rules to reflect these short comings. Travis .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.