Subject: Fuel Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
boyce mcclellan
United States
Harrisonburg
VA
flag msg tools
Is it me or are the fuel amounts and caps of 35 a little stringent when you can expend 5 fuel points in a single turn. While I guess you aren't always launching a strike, if you have the enemy force pinpointed, you could end up spending a lot.

Or am I counting wrong.

-Search plane launch
-search plane recovery
-Naval Movement
-Strike Launch
-Strike Recovery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that the fuel consumption can seem a little harsh, I'd always thought that they focus the players minds into a realistic appreciation as to how long you can continue operations. The battle is going to be a bit like a single round in a boxing match, rather than the whole twelve rounds.

Ding!

Fleets spar and try to land a killing blow.

Ding!

Round is over and the fleets have to withdraw to replenish and refuel.

The fuel rules are good enough for one or two days of heavy action and no more, which I think is about right. From memory of my reading of descriptions of the battle and its aftermath, both Admiral Fletcher and Admiral Takagi withdrew their forces from the area primarily to refuel.

What do think of this game Boyce? An overlooked gem in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort of vaguely recall thinking it was a good way of simulating the time required to launch all the planes and form up. For attacks it was never really a fly in, shoot/drop and then fly home operation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rose
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree its an overlooked gem - I particularly like the detail of the air strikes/air combat compared to the sometimes abstracted alternatives in other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I particularly like the detail of the air strikes/air combat compared to the sometimes abstracted alternatives in other games.

I agree. I would add that this game hits a sweet spot as it also doesn't dive too deeply into air strike details like Flat Top does.

I think it also manages the same sort of balance with regard to ship damage too. Not too much and not too abstracted.

All in all a wonderful "Three Bears" game of the Coral Sea battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boyce mcclellan
United States
Harrisonburg
VA
flag msg tools
Honestly, I bought this game when I was 14 or 15. I recently broke it open to learn the rules again and maybe try to talk my room mate into playing. I didn't think I had played it much back then but I found pages of record sheets copies written all over. I guess I had.

I love the game. Been thinking about printing up the other mods. The only way to game a carrier battle is double blind. And these rules are honestly pretty easy (except the combat charts are some of the most convoluted I have seen on a war-game).

I think the one thing it is missing is a Neutral Task Force display so that you don't have to reveal your other TF's when there is a raid. (And maybe a larger reprint that my eyes can read easier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.