Subject: 18BE custom build and design notes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got around to finishing my build for 18BE, but, I created most of the components for stocks and tokens differently than how they were presented in the files. I do wish to present it as a "Deluxe" version for Eric if he wants it. The pictures were posted in the January 2018 PNP Geeklist, but the general changelog is:

Map
Quote:
Blew up the map to support larger tokens, would like to submit it but I can't get it to save as a PDF on separate sheets. Removed the tokens to cut from the left edge.

VP Trackers and Train Tracker:
Quote:
Sized to use bigger tokens now and followed a previous build where someone separated the VP tracker to 1 tracker per player. Both Train Trackers have been merged into one, with clearer call outs to when certain effects happen. Used constant shape-ology for when new routes can be reached (waving banner and colored bands), when trains 'rust' or are rendered inoperable (Red Block Arrow), and when a company can run 2 trains in the Stocks expansion (Missing corner rectangle). Separated into its own PDF which also has a Start Player card, 6 player identification cards for basic mode, and optional foldable tokens. Charters and ID Cards are meant to be sleeved together if you're printing the expansion content.

Stocks and Charters:
Quote:
Made them more like other 18XX games, with no historical company logos (can't find them. Instead it uses the first letter of the first word of the company name). In addition to the % on the bottom of the share, there are now 'Seals' that correspond how much % that share is worth (1 for every 10%). Bands are still color coded, but the seals should help with color blindness. Company Charters are color coded, but should be easy to tell which company they belong to with above seal convention. There are no tokens on the pages with the shares now. All shares and charters are in 1 PDF with optional backs, with an optional replacement 1st player marker if the one from the Base set is a bit confusing.

Stock Market sheet:
Quote:
Blown up to make it less difficult to move stock markers on the tracker, changed up the design of the starting stock values (Red Diamonds) as well as adding a yellow star in the 200 space in the 20 column. Also added symbols to left most squares if you want to play with a harder stocks variant. Added movement arrows for stock movement clarification to lower right of sheet.

Rules:
Quote:
Added in the clarifications and rules addendum to the rule book, while making one legacy rule a variant. For Reference:

All game modes
- Added clarification that the starting station does not count against total range, both in concept overview of the base game and in the body of the rules of both games.
- Added summary costs or summary of the action in both rulebooks.
- To make the first player auction less confusing, with the new double sided first player card, the First Acting/Purchasing player card is flipped to first Auction Player side before passing it to the left at the end of the Operating round.
- {NEW} Variants: added in a mention on how to run the first player for auction round with a single sided token.

Base Game
-Buying Trains: Reworded how much each train costs, as well as how train purchasing works to be more clearer.
- Run Trains: added in rule that towns and cities with a station in them only count in a run.

Stocks Game
- Clearly added clarification of how the stock markers move, both in the concept overview and in the respective headers of the actions in the Operating Round section. [I actually over-read that the stock moves RIGHT when you run trains in an OR)
- Buy Stocks: Added Clarification that you can not buy or sell stocks in a '00 column' on the stock sheet
- Build a Station: Added clarification that the president of the company can not build a new station if that company's stock is in the left most column of a row.
- Run Trains: Added in the rule that you must have 2 stations to run a train.
- Run Trains: Added clarification that a company at least of a train level of 6 can run 2 trains of the same length (and can start from the same station), as long as they don't cross through the same intersection, town, or Stationed city. Broke down payouts to 1 train at a time due to the possibility of using other company's stations.
- Buy a Train: Added Clarification that the president of the company can not buy a new train if that company's stock is in the left most column of the row
- Bankruptcy: Removed as a core rule as it was antiquated, instead added in the Base Game rules for handling a forced purchase due to train events ('Bank' will cover the shortfall, NOT the president).
- {NEW} Variants: added in the old bankruptcy rule as a variant for those that want a tougher 18BE experience, clarified on how that would work (Same wording as buying a train in the base game).

{NEW} Label Sheet
Quote:
Added a label sheet for those that want to label wooden pieces instead of using a folded token, with an extra sheet for differing sizes for the components if you want to make larger tokens for the stocks, trains, or the turn tracker.

{NEW} Company Launch! cards
Quote:
Added a company launch card so that players don't get confused if a company should launch again. 2 different versions of the card, one if you already have a token set aside to track turn order or wish not to use a turn tracker, another if you wish to use the launch card as the turn tracker.

So, those are the patch notes that I've made to the game in my build. Though do have a question still:
I guess bankruptcy is out when you play with the rule where the bank gives an upgrade if the company cannot afford it?
Let me know how you feel about my changes, Eric. I decided to just use a single set of tokens for the stations and give a generic token for the money tracker (and a player token card to help with basic games. Though, I can understand if my back for West-Vlaanderen is a bit iffy, which is a white circle on a solid red background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting :-)
It's been a long while since I played it so I can't comment now on the changes.
I'll try to give it a whirl when time allows

For PDF, you may want to try posterazor, or you can just post a large jpeg and PNPrs will cut it when printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot to link to the geeklist :
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/235466/item/5915662#item5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I did. But yeah, my redesign of the stocks and trackers are mostly copyright free now. Mostly uses fonts from Libre office, though. Though, the company texts and 'seals' uses fairfax station, which is free for commercial use from what I remember. Fonts I've used include:

Liberation Sans (like Arial) (Train Tracker, Basic Game Player Piece notifier, Stock Tracker, First Player Card, Money Tokens)

Linux Libertene G (Kinda like Times New Roman) (Company Charters)

Liberation Mono ("Money Tracker")

Fairfax Station (Shares, Company Name in Charters, Labels, Folding Tokens.)

If having 'basic game' tokens are really important, I can redesign them into having shapes instead, like red having a red circle in their token and Orange having a Star of sorts (and redo the basic game player identifications). However, with the individualized VP/Money trackers, there is no need for player 'specific' components for the money trackers.

I'll give Posterazor a shot, thanks for the tip. Will also post my backs later on. Honestly, it was so conduluded how Irfanview wanted me to make a poster print that I wasted so much cardstock and ink trying to blow it up to 4 letter sheets while printing, so I wanted to save people from having to tussle with a program like that.

EDIT: One other question comes to mind for the Stocks Expansion: Do Nord Belge and Grande Compaigne du Luxemburg both start with 1 Trains or do they start at the proper train level to unlock their surrounding track (3 Train for GCdL and 6 Train for Nord Belge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.