Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game (Second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Encounter roll for e292 -- The Crucible rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Pfeil
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
What am I missing for the Encounter roll at e292? It says to roll 1d6, but there are results for rolls of 7 and 8 or greater.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really??

this is what my version reads:

If you escape capture or evade the Daleks, you must find the force-field generator by making a successful Move Action with a -1 to the roll. If you succeed, then as another Action you must either make a Computers 10 or Demolitions 9 roll to deactivate the force-field and another Move Action (without a penalty) to return to the TARDIS. Until you reach the TARDIS, roll 1D6 here instead of r307:

1-3: No encounter;

4-5: Encounter 1D3+1 Daleks (see above). Roll 1D6 and if the result is equal or less than the number of Daleks, then they are led by the Supreme Red Dalek -Brains 7, Brawn 10, Bravery 7 (Laser). See above for options (the Red Dalek reduces your Brains roll by 3).

6-7: You encounter an Enemy. Roll 1D6: 1-3: v011a; 4-6: v018. Immediately encounter this Enemy and then roll 1D6 to see the Adventure where the Crucible is now in orbit: 1-2: a001; 3-4: a039; 5: a012; 6: a017. If you escape the Crucible, immediately go to that Adventure, treat the Crucible as a Location and take a -1DM penalty. If you roll 3-5 here again, see instead the Enemy event.

8+: The TARDIS is consumed by the nuclear furnace inside the heart of the Crucible. The game is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Poland
flag msg tools
I think what Jason is asking is how you can possibly roll 7–8 on that chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Fries
Germany
Windeck
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason is right, Simon.

I checked my files of the game and found an older version of e292 with different results ranging from 1 to 6.
They were: 1-2: No encounter; 3-4: Encounter Daleks; 5: New Enemy; 6: Game over.

I think there must have been a mistake in the editing process: I asked Simon to defuse this entry a little, because of the too high chances for a Game over result. Maybe there is just something missing like: "Each Turn add +1 to the roll (cumulatively)."

We will see, what Simon actually had in mind or what errata he will provide...

Oh, Adrian: Did you see the typo in this paragraph? Another r307.

And Jason: Best of luck for your Doctor on the 'Crucible'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bugger!

You need to add +1 to the roll each subsequent time you roll (so +0 first time, +1 second time, +2 third time etc)

And a r307 reference!!Markus!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Poland
flag msg tools
I've added both of those to the errata.

Oh, and BTW, I think the 'If you roll 3-5 here again, see instead the Enemy event.' under the 6–7 option must be from the old version, as well. I presume it should read 'If you roll 4–7 here again...' instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bugger!!

Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Poland
flag msg tools
Got it, errata'd as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Fries
Germany
Windeck
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragoncymru wrote:

And a r307 reference!!Markus!!!

Each errata puts a tiny little crack into my proofreading heart...

Sorry Simon!shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pfeil
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
It also seems weird that the Crucible is not a Base. Should it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice call, why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Fries
Germany
Windeck
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.