Hide
4 Posts

Pairs» Forums » General

Subject: How many starting coins per player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keiya B
msg tools
Several of the variants have gambling as a component. I've not really played many gambling games before so don't have intuition built up here: how many coins should each player start with? ("Coins" of course being an abstract unit that can be represented by items worth multiple coins, to keep the number of actual items manageable - I'm probably going to end up using the gem chips from Puzzle Strike, at least for now)

This might be a nice thing to add to the next revision of the Companion (maybe sometime next year to add the GTM variants?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ernest
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Howdy!

The newest edition of the Companion Book is currently available in the Deluxe Edition, but it will shortly replace the original Pairs Companion at playpairs.com.

The new edition advises roughly 100 coins per player. This isn't perfect in all cases, but it's a decent amount for most games.

In a zero-sum gambling game, it really doesn't matter how much money you give each player. Your goal is simply to finish with more than you started with. Even if you're not the biggest winner, you can still be a winner.

But if you're just looking for a good number of chips to set up with your Pairs game, I'd say 100 per player. I do this as 10 x 1c, 8 x 5c, and 2 x 25c. That's what I carry in my demo bag and it rarely lets me down.

Thanks!

James Ernest
El Cheapo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiya B
msg tools
CheapassJames wrote:
Howdy!

The newest edition of the Companion Book is currently available in the Deluxe Edition, but it will shortly replace the original Pairs Companion at playpairs.com.

Heh, and I just printed myself up a copy too. Oh well! (I bought the older fruit deck rather than Deluxe because I like the art on those cards more.)

CheapassJames wrote:

But if you're just looking for a good number of chips to set up with your Pairs game, I'd say 100 per player. I do this as 10 x 1c, 8 x 5c, and 2 x 25c. That's what I carry in my demo bag and it rarely lets me down.

This is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Hattan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CheapassJames wrote:
Howdy!

Is it bad to be excited about this?! :-D

What will happen to the GTM games?

Is there any plan to translate the DSA edition games into English? The co-op game is amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.