Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Will the AI move off a spawner if he's already within attack range? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we're playing Scenario 3 and I'm adjacent to a monster who is on a spawner. He has move and attack on his card. He is also standing on a spawner that will spawn another monster at the end of the round. If he stays on the spawner, nothing can spawn there. If he moves in to an adjacent spot, he can still attack me and will allow the spawner to errr...spawn.

In situations like this I try to play thematically, but what's the actual ruling? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The monsters don't care about other monsters or spawners or what-have-you. They just do their thing. (So, it'll just stay there if it's already in attack range.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m pretty sure that a new monster will spawn in an adjacent, empty hex if the ‘a’ hex is occupied. So don’t you worry your soon-to-be-stove-in-by-multiple-monsters head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the rules say that a spawn is not blocked by something standing on the spawning point (it spawns next to it) it doesn't matter, see rules page 34.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Von Strubel wrote:
As the rules say that a spawn is not blocked by something standing on the spawning point (it spawns next to it) it doesn't matter, see rules page 34.

as a matter of fact, with SPAWNING, it doesn't even have to be next to the spawn point. even if the spawn hex and all adjacent hexes are filled, the next monster to spawn will go in the empty hex nearest the spawn point, no matter how far away that is.

(summons, on the other hand, will fail if there is not an empty hex adjacent to the summoner)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger C
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Minds are the real estate of the 21st century
badge
I especially like the flip of the board.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a related question-Do monsters that spawn activate the turn they are spawned or do they wait like summons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are spawned at the beginning of the round, they act. If they are spawned at the end of the round, they don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rdc2 wrote:
As a related question-Do monsters that spawn activate the turn they are spawned or do they wait like summons?

depends on what part of the round they are spawned.

rulebook pg 34 wrote:
If a monster is spawned at the end of a round, it will begin to activate on the
following round. If a monster is spawned during a round, it activates as if it had just been revealed (see
Revealing a Room on p. 19 for details).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a spawner on a kill all mission, and if you're playing with less than four players (but especially when playing with two), you should strongly consider houseruling the spawners blockable.

This is a house rule, but, quite honestly, the (less than a handful of scenarios) I've encountered that have multiple fixed spawners are impossible to beat with two characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.