Hide
8 Posts

Rajas of the Ganges» Forums » Rules

Subject: Karma timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mason Sokol
msg tools
Does karma get used when you spend the die or gain the die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that you can use it at any time to flip a die. Typically, you do so immediately before you spend dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Rupinette
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
From the rulebook: "you may use your karma anytime during your turn when giving up a die." So spend the karma right before you use a die to pay for something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Villemure
Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
Did you know? Hibou is french for owl.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also from the rulebook : "One karma allows you to turn any die on your Kali statue to the opposite side when you place it;"

I guess that "when you place it" means when you place it on your Kali statue as spending a dice is referred as "giving up a die". In that case, that would means that you can flip a dice when acquiring it or when spending it.

However, this is getting very confusing so I'd be tempted to say that you can flip a die whenever you want during your turn, even if the die sits on your Kali statue and you aren't spending it yet.

An official ruling would be good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may only use karma to flip a die as you are spending that die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hibou77 wrote:
Also from the rulebook : "One karma allows you to turn any die on your Kali statue to the opposite side when you place it;"

I guess that "when you place it" means when you place it on your Kali statue as spending a dice is referred as "giving up a die". In that case, that would means that you can flip a dice when acquiring it or when spending it.

However, this is getting very confusing so I'd be tempted to say that you can flip a die whenever you want during your turn, even if the die sits on your Kali statue and you aren't spending it yet.

An official ruling would be good...

As usual, it's a translation issue. The first and last paragraphs of the German rules in the Karma section use the same verb, but the English version translates the verb differently in the two paragraphs. What's more, the German rules use another verb in all the other places where they talk about giving up a die.

I'm inclined to think you can use karma when you're about to spend a die. The idea that you use karma only when acquiring a die doesn't seem very useful; how are you supposed to know if the number you just rolled will help you at that very moment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Villemure
Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
Did you know? Hibou is french for owl.
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
As usual, it's a translation issue. The first and last paragraphs of the German rules in the Karma section use the same verb, but the English version translates the verb differently in the two paragraphs. What's more, the German rules use another verb in all the other places where they talk about giving up a die.

I'm inclined to think you can use karma when you're about to spend a die. The idea that you use karma only when acquiring a die doesn't seem very useful; how are you supposed to know if the number you just rolled will help you at that very moment?

Indeed, it would not be useful. However, if the rules means that you can flip at any time, it could be useful in the cases where you're about to get some karma but your karma track is already full. In that case, you could spend one or two karma points to flip dice that would be used later that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hibou77 wrote:
[q="ericamick2"]Indeed, it would not be useful. However, if the rules means that you can flip at any time, it could be useful in the cases where you're about to get some karma but your karma track is already full. In that case, you could spend one or two karma points to flip dice that would be used later that round.

Exactly the situation I was in in a game today.

I performed the Dancer action (at the palace). I received 2 dice, rolled them, and what I really needed was a 6. I didn't get one, but I did get a 1. I had 3 Karma, and thought about spending it to change one of the dice. But I wasn't sure if that was allowed, and I didn't see any reason to do it now instead of when I was about to use it. ... And then I got the yield tile, which of course was a 1 karma tile -- that I couldn't use, since I was already at my max karma. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.