Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Which way would you move the Bog Pole pictured below (lane 2), per the rules? Via the orange or yellow arrow?

But first, let's review the rules which are pertinent to this question:

- "Melee Baddies may move up to 2 adjacent positions per turn. They will always target and move toward the closest opposing unit".
- "A melee Baddie will always take the shortest possible route toward a position adjacent to its target".
- "If no positions are available adjacent to any target(s), the Baddie will not move".
(bold emphasis is mine)

That last rule implies a few inferences which I make below.

So, here are the competing observations:

The orange path satisfies the rule which requires the Baddie to move toward its target (Patches). But it's not toward an [available] position.

The yellow path satisfies the rule which requires the baddie to move to an [available] position adjacent to its target, but it isn't in the toward direction.

So, which path should he move? Orange or yellow? Or does the player get to choose?

Thx! (And sorry about the lighting glare off of the Clay Golem).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow.

#1 It targets Patches, because there's noone else to target.
#2 There is an adjacent position to the target (Patches), that is, a space below him. There is a way to it.
#3 Since it's available, and there is a way to it, Baddie moves.

In layman's terms - as a Baddie - "If I do that move, considering nothing else changes, will it help me get to attack my target in the future?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

verballyinsane wrote:
Yellow.

Why?

rattkin wrote:
In layman's terms - as a Baddie - "If I do that move, considering nothing else changes, will it help me get to attack my target in the future?"

That's a good way to sum up all your above points, and makes sense. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow

Step 1. choose target (Patches)
Step 2. find closest available position to attack target (bottom left corner)
Step 3. Move towards position from Step 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it is in this line

A melee Baddie will always take the shortest possible route toward a position adjacent to its target

The Yellow is possible the orange is not possible to get to Patches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe to your first listed rule, they need to add an extra little bit:

"Melee Baddies may move up to 2 adjacent positions per turn. They will always target the closest opposing unit, and will move toward a position adjacent to that target".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you all, for your great replies!

As I flipped through the rulebook today, I re-read an entry from the FAQ in the back of the rulebook, which I think may've spurred my question...
On page 28, the entry on "Baddie Movement" stresses that, "The Baddie does not optimize it's movement. Meaning it does not move in a way to maximize its attacks."

So while I forgot to mention that sentence in my OP, I believe it was subconsciously at the root of why I asked my question in the first place. I just wanted to share that with you after the fact, so to better understand why the situation I illustrated became a question in my mind.

Regardless, everything you guys wrote makes total sense and I agree with it all. So again, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.