United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey ya'll!
So I heard about this game from Zee Garcia's Dice Tower review of it and I might think it's more interesting than Pandemic proper. Mostly the theme.
Now, I've only played Pandemic Iberia and maybe original Pandemic each ONCE, but myself and my family are big fans of Forbidden Island and other cooperative games. While I could so play this with gamers once in a while, I have to ask: How bad is it (rules wise)? Could I teach it to non-gamers who, until about 2 weeks to a month ago, had no idea what a co-op game was? Granted they coordinated and beat 4 player Forbidden Island on the first try. To put in in perspective, they regularly play some party games, dice games, Ticket to Ride, and are starting to play Forbidden Island, also my older brother (among this group) has shown an interest in Axis & Allies 1941.
I'll take a look at the main page again, but do any of you find this to be a game that takes a long time? That can be a factor with this group as well (we generally don't get hours and hours of time for games) and that has been the big factor keeping my older brother from playing Axis & Allies.
This post is rambling a bit, I'll let ya'll have a turn.
Thanks gamers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as rules complexity and play length, Rising Tide is comparable to ordinary Pandemic, which is only a relatively small step up from Forbidden Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch, it’s definitely higher on my list now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my favourite non-Legacy edition of the game (and I have literally played all versions of Pandemic). It's thematically head and shoulders above the others. It's challenging. It's awesome. Its rules are only mildly more complicated than those of regular Pandemic. And if you are not too familiar with Pandemic, you won't even notice.

(I own Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, Thunderbirds, Iberia, Rising Tide, Vanilla + 2 expansions, have played through the entire campaign of Legacy 1 and am over half way of 2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvet Veltkamp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kristy,
I agree with the others. Rising Tide doesn't have difficult rules. If you like Forbidden Island (any variant of) Pandemic is a logical next step. The 45 minutes it says on the box are correct. Regular Pandemic and Pandemic Cthulu can be played with 4 players, Iberia and Rising Tide with 5.
Rising Tide is by far my favorite Pandemic. I like the way the theme fits the game perfectly; the waterflow, building dikes and windmills to dry the land, the characters, it all feels very natural. And I really like the variable objectives (goals). The other Pandemic games (except for Pandemic Legacy) always have 4 goals; collect 5 cards for each colour. In Rising Tide the 4 basic objectives require 5 cards as well, but when you're used to the game you can add more objectives and vary them. You may have to place civilians, windmills or ports or start with a flood.
The advantage of regular Pandemic is that you have 3 expansions, but for me Rising Tide has enough variation 'build in'.

Once you are with 2-4 players who enjoy playing Pandemic regularly you should definitely buy Pandemic Legacy Season 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the interests of neutrality, I thought I should offer an opinion from someone who isn't Dutch!

As people have said, the rules really aren't complex, so should be fine for the group you describe.

- Rising Tide has the most variety of a single-box game (as opposed to base game plus 3 boxes of expansions)
- Iberia is my personal favourite, as you get to build railway lines. I think it also has the nicest art.
- Reign of Cthulhu has characters who can go mad!

Ultimately, I'd say pick whichever theme interests you the most - I doubt you'll be disappointed, whichever one you go for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
"Play is an essential component of Wholehearted living." Brené Brown
badge
What do you mean we don't have time for another game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
In the interests of neutrality, I thought I should offer an opinion from someone who isn't Dutch!

As people have said, the rules really aren't complex, so should be fine for the group you describe.

- Rising Tide has the most variety of a single-box game (as opposed to base game plus 3 boxes of expansions)
- Iberia is my personal favourite, as you get to build railway lines. I think it also has the nicest art.
- Reign of Cthulhu has characters who can go mad!

Ultimately, I'd say pick whichever theme interests you the most - I doubt you'll be disappointed, whichever one you go for.

I Agree with this, and would also say that Iberia is my (and my family’s) favorite. It’s got a ton of variety in the box if you ever play with the included variants, and the artwork is the best of all in the Pandemic line. Rising Tide is a really good game, but I would say Iberia is a Great game. But as always, ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Rising Tide seems to be the natural progression of Forbidden Island (Advanced Forbidden Island?) and I'm surprised that more comparisons haven't been made. With only a few plays under my belt, I like Rising Tide better than regular Pandemic and theme has a lot to do with it.

I've been playing Forbidden Island for a couple years with my 7 year old. It allowed us to play a game together where I could help him along a bit, but he totally got the idea that we had to move around the island to shore up problem areas, collect cards and get the 4 treasures. But Pandemic was just a bit too abstract for him.

Enter Rising Tide and he totally gets it. It also helps that he's half-Dutch and he's been to the Netherlands to visit family. His Oma and Opa help him with the pronunciation of the regions. We're still shoring up areas, water levels are still rising, we're collecting 4 our items, exchanging cards, etc. The complexity is added in how the water flows and the use of pumps, but it is a more tangible theme to him than diseases breaking out across the world.

As far as game length, it's a far cry from Axis and Allies. It's similar in play length to Pandemic, maybe a little longer than Forbidden Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.