6 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Variants

Subject: What do you think of these concepts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know I was thinking about how the fallout video game could carry over even more to the board game. Now I have yet to play the BG, so correct me if I'm wrong but here are some ideas I thought would work well if they aren't in the game.

There's the whole "luck factor" going on, which is true within fallout (VATS percentage) BUT the game is really big on bending that. Let me explain.

You can get perks that substantially increase your "luck" to 90% etc. all depending on range. Let me give you some examples:

• "Adamantium Skeleton" Damage taken by limbs reduced by 50%

- Could just be reduce damage in half

• "Commando Perk" +25% accuracy in V.A.T.S. with two-handed weapons

- If you roll 4 dice, you gain an extra hit OR turn 1 of 4 dice into a hit (this could apply to all ranged weapons instead of having to get a perk for pistols, rifles, sniper etc.)

• "Action Boy" +25 Action Points

- VATS is the mode that is percentage based combat (reflected in the board game with dice rolls). VATS runs on action points. More action points could = more Dice to use, or Re-rolls. When you have more actions points in the game you're able to take more shots so either way it'll work.

• "Grim Reaper's Sprint" A kill in V.A.T.S. restores all your AP immediately

- This could simply mean "kill somebody and attack another on the same or different hex". If AP (action points) = the dice then a kill would have refilled the AP and you can simply repeat the turn. This only allows you to repeat a fight action and not something else. This helps because instead of running from everything you can actually oppose them (once you get high level). If there's sneak attacks, this would be even more deadly as sneak attacks always crit.

Now you might think these perks could be overpowered, but hear me out... Part of the joy in the game is building your character into being incredible. Plus you should be able to easily take out a mole rat if you are leveling up. It balances out because certain enemies in the game can't be touched unless your character is built to be really strong by leveling up. I see no problem with introducing more intense enemies as you grow. Heck you can even restrict "perks" to having certain INT or LVL just like the video game version. Does this sound like it'll make the game too long? Have a different mode in it that allows for a "save and play again". People LOVE building their character into a power house and stocking up on items.

Anyway, the perks don't need to be game breaking. I think they can help mitigate the "luck factor" in key areas (I'm not talking about agenda cards, faction selecting, or winning conditions those need to be redone).

Having low luck/chance based combat is accurate when you first start the game as your VATS accuracy will be very low percentage but as you advance it becomes very manageable. You can rework odds into your favor. I have more ideas and I can list them if you'd like (how perks can cross over). Perhaps I'm reinventing the wheel, but what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre G
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:

To stick to the lore, you can call that "dermal implants"

cf fallout 2: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Dermal_Impact_Armor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee
msg tools
Aarcana wrote:
Mangekyo wrote:

But Adamantium Skeleton is still part of the lore. That is what it is called in Fallout 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muffinsaurus wrote:
Aarcana wrote:
Mangekyo wrote:

But Adamantium Skeleton is still part of the lore. That is what it is called in Fallout 4.

I got it from fallout 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre G
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Muffinsaurus wrote:
Aarcana wrote:
Mangekyo wrote:

Dear fallout 1 & 2... What have they done to you ???

Seriously: my bad... Big player of the 2 first here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calixtus Ashley Wee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
I am not too sure about the game, since my friend bought it as a birthday present, which is coming soon, but I was always under the idea that the combat mechanics can be improved. Or maybe even redone, given what I have heard of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.