Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tremblay
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

I just bought Gloomhaven and completed the first scenario with three of my friends. We plan to play every two weeks. This being way too little play time for me, I decided to find 3 other friends to fill in the gap. So group A plays on odd weeks and group B plays on even weeks.

I had a look in the forum for the best way to handle this but I haven't really got the answer I was looking for. So I need your advice.

1- Is it really fun and viable for both group to play on the same world with only one of the party being able to play any given scenario in campaign mode?

2- I was planning on doing the first 2 scenarios with both group and then apply the campaign rules, so that each party can follow their own path after those 2. Is this a good idea?

3- Would it be better to have each party in it's own world using a campaign tracker app?

Thanks for your insight or comments on the best way to handle this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1 - yes its fun, just fill each group in on what they missed in the previous scenario

2 - no need

3 - you could if you want but there are 95 scenarios...do you want to finish the game in nearly 2 years? or about 1 year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tremblay
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
What about party achievements. Some scenarios would be locked out for one of the party, wouldn't this cause some frustration?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raveman1000 wrote:
What about party achievements. Some scenarios would be locked out for one of the party, wouldn't this cause some frustration?

why would they be locked out you would just have one party, with different players each time they meet up to go questing.

I have one party, 7 players, two people rolled the same class but never come on the same night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have basically the same question.

I just bought the game. I want to play solo adventures and I want to play in a group with reoccurring friends.

What would be the best path to do this? Keep my solo adventure separate in an app or something is what I was thinking.

Anyone else doing something like this? All advice would be great.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
I have basically the same question.

I just bought the game. I want to play solo adventures and I want to play in a group with reoccurring friends.

What would be the best path to do this? Keep my solo adventure separate in an app or something is what I was thinking.

Anyone else doing something like this? All advice would be great.

Thanks

do whatever you want - if your group doesn't care about getting the entire story then just play solo when you want in the same 'world'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
No I want my group to experience everything.

So I guess my question is how to best pull this off? Use an app? have anyone done this? did it work well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played about 10-12 scenarios and about 30 hours total with another friend (we played 2p)... so I don't know what complications may arise later during the campaigns... but here is how I see it playing out.

First, you don't need the board or the sticker sheet to manage the campaign stuff. You can just writing down on a pad of paper which party achievements you've unlocked, which locations are available, what the prosperity of Gloomhaven is, etc. I know there are apps out there that can track that stuff too.. so either do the board and sticker thing with one party and don't for the other or just skip it altogether.

You could play the same characters between parties so long as you record which gear the character has in each campaign along with any perks they may have earned. It will add a little to set up, but so long as you write it all down, it won't be a problem. I think this is a minor spoiler, so I'll use the tag.. but it is another thing to consider with playing the same character in two different campaigns when they make different choices. It's a pretty practical matter, but if you want zero spoilers, don't look:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a mechanic that shows up a little later in the game where some legacy elements might crop up on some cards (not just the board). People have suggested using card sleeves to more easily facilitate this and I think that would work to allow you to have a single character at different levels between the campaigns.

Anyway, I think if you were willing to do a little extra book-keeping, you could run two campaigns out of the same box pretty easily. I would suggest minimizing the overlap between the campaigns where possible (e.g. there are 6 starting characters, only allow 2 to be shared between campaigns at the beginning). Also, you could try to push things in different directions so you are seeing new and different things vs. just retracing the same path each week. Finally, if you wanted, there should be opportunities to share a character between campaigns. So let's say each campaign has a Brute. If you branch one campaign away from the other in terms of which locations to explore, you could conceivably take a even week Brute out with the odd week party vs. bringing the odd week Brute along. This would see the even week Brute leveling up faster and maybe being a higher level than the rest of the party, but the game can handle that and you'll end up in this scenario eventually as characters retire and you need to generate new characters.

Anyway, from my limited experience, this seems totally doable, but other who have played more may have run into situations where this would be more problematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right. I think I will start playing my solo campaign and see how it goes. When I need to permanently record stuff I will just have to figure it out.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tremblay
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mellman99 wrote:

why would they be locked out you would just have one party, with different players each time they meet up to go questing.

I have one party, 7 players, two people rolled the same class but never come on the same night.

I like the idea of having two parties so that they track reputation separatly and do their own thing. I think some frustration could arise if I do one party with both group and that one group is trying to reach positive reputation while do other do the opposite.

So my questions should haven been:

4- Has anyone ever played with two separate parties in the same game world while applying the rules as written in the rulebook? Meaning that only the first party to complete a scenario can do it in campaign mode and get the treasure chest and party achievments for it, while the other can only do it in casual mode.

5- If so would you make any modification to said rules so that it's more enjoyable for both parties?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tremblay
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
zjhomrighaus wrote:

Anyway, I think if you were willing to do a little extra book-keeping, you could run two campaigns out of the same box pretty easily.

I thought about doing that, but I wanted to first consider playing the game as the rulebook is written, which allows two parties to adventure in the same game world.

Some advantages I see doing this are:

1- Not having to repeat the same scenarios multiple times.
2- Gloomhaven prosperity going up twice as fast.
3- More class unlock for the same game world.
4- Reaching goals faster, for example donating 100 gold to the santuary.

Some cons:

1- Only one party gets the party achievements for any given scenarion, locking the other out of some linked scenarios. (only in campaign mode, they could still do the linked up scenario in casual mode if I'm not mistaken)
2- The world evolves twice as fast, meaning that none of the parties will enjoy the full experience of the game, but then again, I doubt I can keep my friends motivated to do all the 95 scenarios for both parties.

So I'm really looking for some insight on playing the game as intended in the rulebook for multiple parties. If it seams like it's less enjoyable I might do the extra bookkeeping and keep everything separate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
No I want my group to experience everything.

So I guess my question is how to best pull this off? Use an app? have anyone done this? did it work well?

Remember when evaluating you options (and the effort you will have to keep track of everything) that it is intended that playing a campaign means always that your party will not experience "everything". There are scenarios quite early which when played unavoidable exclude other scenarios (branching parts) for all parties in the game world.

So for many people who will probably be lucky to play the huge campaign one time through the simplest and most elegant solution is just one giant party. Main downside is item-distribution (and all the characters have the same reputation), but bookkeeping is a non-brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.