Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May van Helsing turn up the card at the carriage house after using the Reinforcement special action to move there? Dracula's Wings of Night card explicitly says you can't do so, and I wish Reinforcement said the same. My assumption is that Reinforcement works like Wings of Night in this respect - if not further complications would be inevitable. I'm hoping to get confirmation from experienced players.

I'd also like confirmation that the 'move' special actions on these two cards can't be used to avoid an unwanted battle. The rules say movement ends when an opponent's card is revealed, at which point you play the action card and resolve the battle. The trouble is that the action card gives you additional movement "during the player's turn", and I see nothing that explicitly forbids taking that extra move before fighting a battle.

I'm normally not this picky when learning rules, but there are obvious problems in these. We played our first game today and were leaving our own cards face up because the rules say "Next, he places one of his encounter cards face up...". Afterwards I discovered here in another thread that they are meant to be left face down (which makes better sense).

Thanks for any help you can provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Reinforcement questions
Sphere wrote:
May van Helsing turn up the card at the carriage house after using the Reinforcement special action to move there? Dracula's Wings of Night card explicitly says you can't do so, and I wish Reinforcement said the same. My assumption is that Reinforcement works like Wings of Night in this respect - if not further complications would be inevitable. I'm hoping to get confirmation from experienced players.

I'd also like confirmation that the 'move' special actions on these two cards can't be used to avoid an unwanted battle. The rules say movement ends when an opponent's card is revealed, at which point you play the action card and resolve the battle. The trouble is that the action card gives you additional movement "during the player's turn", and I see nothing that explicitly forbids taking that extra move before fighting a battle.

I'm normally not this picky when learning rules, but there are obvious problems in these. We played our first game today and were leaving our own cards face up because the rules say "Next, he places one of his encounter cards face up...". Afterwards I discovered here in another thread that they are meant to be left face down (which makes better sense).

The special action at the bottom of the card is only used after the original movement has been paid for, and any necessary battle is fought. So neither the "Wings of night" nor the "Reinforcement" card can be used to turn over an encounter card as a result of the special action. Therefore there can be no encounter after using the special action.

You are correct about the "face up" situation. It should be "face down".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rod3556lhs wrote:
Sphere wrote:

The special action at the bottom of the card is only used after the original movement has been paid for, and any necessary battle is fought. So neither the "Wings of night" nor the "Reinforcement" card can be used to turn over an encounter card as a result of the special action. Therefore there can be no encounter after using the special action.

You are correct about the "face up" situation. It should be "face down".

Thanks Rod, those are the answers I hoped for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our second session, we had another closely related question relating to move as a special action on Reinforcement/Wings of Night; this time about whether it was possible to compare encounter decks as a result. We treated it the same as turning up a card, in other words to disallow it because the special action 'move' was not part of 'movement'. Sharp Sense explicitly allows revealing the decks via special action, but the other cards do not.

I decided to post it here both because I'd be interested if anyone disagreed with how we handled it and for the benefit of anyone reading the thread in future. (I'm also changing the thread title to include "Wings of Night" to aid searches for that card specifically.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with you. You have already finished your turn by the time you resolve the card's special effect. You used it to pay for movement, so relocating your figure isn't a movement action but a special action. You're already past the opportunity to both look at encounter cards or look at your opponent's hand. These two action both should happen before you play the an action card.

I think the rules are quite clear about this. There are two separate steps in a turn:

1) move
2) play an action card

It also is very clear that you play an action card after you moved.

All the actions of looking at encounter cards or looking at an opponent's hand can be chosen to be performed by the active player during the move phase.

Once you play an action card, you can't do any of those actions any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.