Subject: Custom Hero: Mr. Magic (With card art (sort of)) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Tuell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on a few different customs but this one is the one I'm happiest with right now, so I figured I'd post it and see what you guys think.

Preston Harris is a fairly ordinary young man, except that he possesses an artifact of unfathomable power, a wand capable of creating literally anything. Unfortunately for him, a wand that can create anything isn't the same as a wand that can make whatever he wants...

Mr. Magic's deck utilizes a mechanic I've never seen in any other hero deck: his 40-card deck is split into two 20-card decks, with a rules card to explain the set up. He's a support-ish Jack of All Trades who trades reliability for versatility. His wand deck is stocked with powerful cards, but they're all one-offs and he can't usually control exactly which one he plays, just the general effect it will have; so his main deck is designed to help him make effective use of his wand deck. In general, his deck(s) is(/are) designed to make it feel like you're working to try and keep his powers in line, which is very thematic and (in my opinion so far) generally a lot of fun.

Mr. Magic (27 HP)
Conjure
Power:
Choose Attack, Protect, or Distract. Reveal cards from the top of your Wand deck until you reveal a card of that type, and put it into play. Shuffle the other revealed cards back into your wand deck.
Incapacitated:
* 1 player may play a card
* 1 player may use a power
* Reveal the top card of a deck, then discard it or put it into play.

Rules Card
Setup

At the start of the game separate Mr. Magic’s cards into two decks: your Main deck, and your Wand deck, differentiated by card back. Shuffle both decks, then draw 4 cards from your Main deck to form your starting hand.
Gameplay
Cards with the Wand deck back are referred to as Wand cards. The Wand deck has its own trash, separate from your Main trash; Whenever a Wand card goes to your trash or deck, it goes to your Wand trash or deck. Whenever a card refers to Your deck or trash without specifying Wand or Main, it refers to your Main deck or trash. Whenever you draw a card, draw from your Main deck unless specified otherwise.

MAIN DECK

Combat Incantation
x1
One-Shot
Choose Attack or Protect. Reveal cards from the top of your Wand deck until you reveal a card of that type, and put it into play. Shuffle the other revealed cards back into your wand deck.
“WAND SPLAT / BUG FLAT!” -Mr. Magic, Out of the Bottle #5

Defensive Incantation x1
One-Shot
Choose Protect or Distract. Reveal cards from the top of your Wand deck until you reveal a card of that type, and put it into play. Shuffle the other revealed cards back into your wand deck.
“Our ribs are bruised, out heads concussed, / so make that magic healing stuff!” -Mr. Magic, A Day in the Life: Mr. Magic

Tactical Incantation x1
One-Shot
Choose Distract or Attack. Reveal cards from the top of your Wand deck until you reveal a card of that type, and put it into play. Shuffle the other revealed cards back into your wand deck.
“Cinco, cuatro, tres and dos / hide us quickly from our foes!” -Mr. Magic, Out of the Bottle #4

Dark Consultation x4
One-Shot
Reveal the top 3 cards of any deck, then put them back on top of that deck in any order. You may shuffle that deck.
”For my second wish, I demanded that he honestly answer any questions I ask. And the first thing I learned was how STUPID I had been.” -Mr. Magic, Out of the Bottle #3

Determined Focus x2
One-Shot
Until the end of this turn, increase all damage dealt by Mr. Magic to non-hero targets by 1, increase all HP recovered by hero targets by 1, and reduce all damage dealt by Mr. Magic to hero targets by 1. Hero ongoing and equipment cards are indestructible until the end of this turn.
You may play a card.
”One more wish, and he’d be free. After coming that close to ending the world, the least I can do is to help protect it.” -Mr. Magic, Out of the Bottle #3

Trick Hat x2
Equipment, Relic, Limited
Whenever a Wand card would enter play, you may instead place it under this card.
At the end of your turn, you may put any number of cards from beneath this card into play in any order. Then, if any cards were put into play this way, destroy all remaining cards from beneath this card.
”I can keep more than just a secret identity under here, y’know.” -Mr. Magic, Swords and Sorcery #4

Repeat Performance x3
One-Shot
Choose Attack, Protect, or Distract. Take any number of cards of that type from your Wand trash and shuffle them into your Wand deck.
You may play a card.
”C’mon, Magic! The show must go on!” -Magnificent Mara, Swords and Sorcery #4

Rhyme Scheming x2
Ongoing, Limited
If you skip your play or power phase, you may draw from your Main or Wand decks during your draw phase.
Intended Art: Guise and Mr. Magic crouch behind a crate in the foreground as plant monsters with giant oranges for heads prowl around in the background.
”Storage, Stonehenge, gun range… wait… DOOR HINGE! That’s IT! It’s been right in front of us ALL ALONG!” -Mr. Magic, Guise’s Big Bad Birthday Bash

Wave of the Wand x4
One-Shot
Draw a card from your Wand deck.
You may destroy a Wand card in play.
”So for MY first wish, I wished for something that could create anything I wanted.” -Mr. Magic, Out of the Bottle #3

WAND DECK

5 Ton Solid Gold Buddha Statue from 30 Feet Up
x1
One-Shot, Attack
Mr. Magic deals 1 target 10 melee damage. If this destroys the target, each player must discard 1 card.
Art: Wide shot of a warehouse lab in the Pike Industrial Complex; there is a hole in the ceiling, and heroes are picking themselves up from strewn rubble. The titular laughing buddha sits at an angle, stuck in the cracked concrete, a few of the Giant Mutated Specimen’s legs still twitching beneath it.
”I… THINK you got him, tough guy.” -Unity, Out of the Bottle #5

Amp That Goes to 11 x1
Equipment, Relic, Attack
When this card enters play, Mr. Magic deals each target 1 sonic damage. When it is destroyed, Mr. Magic deals each hero target 1 sonic damage and each non-hero target 4 sonic damage.
Power: Destroy this card.
MR. MAGIC: “CAN YOU BELIEVE I’VE NEVER HAD A LESSON?!”
ARGENT ADEPT: “WHAT?!
MR. MAGIC: “WHAT?!
-Virtuoso of the Void #???

Avalanche x1
One-Shot, Attack
Mr. Magic deals each non-hero target 1 projectile damage and 1 irreducible cold damage.
Intended Art: Titan and Mr. Magic stand on the slope of a volcano as waves of snow to either side of them sweep away raptors on one side and Citizens Blood, Sweat, and Tears on the other.
”Huh. Bet they didn’t see THAT one coming.” -Titan, [some MSS book] #???

Enchanted Sword x1
Equipment, Relic, Attack
When this card enters play, place it next to a hero. That hero gains access to the following power.
Power: This hero deals 1 target 2 irreducible energy damage.
THE KNIGHT: “I thought this blade lost to the ages. How did you obtain it?”
MR. MAGIC: “A… good magician never reveals his secrets?”
-Swords and Sorcery #4

Giant Cobra (7 HP) x1
Enormous Reptile, Attack
At the start of your turn, this card deals the target with the lowest HP 3 toxic damage.
”Just… Just keep still and try not to look like a mouse!” -Mr. Magic, Swords and Sorcery #1

Ominous Thundercloud x1
Ongoing, Attack
At the end of your turn, If this card did not enter play this turn, Mr. Magic deals the target with the highest HP 6 lightning damage. If that target took damage this way, destroy this card.
Intended Art: Legacy and the Dark Hero struggle in the air over Megalopolis as storm clouds gather.
”By the ocean, sky, and ground, / knock that flying menace down!” -Mr. Magic, Out of the Bottle #2

Shooting Stars x1
One-Shot, Attack
Mr. Magic deals 2 targets 3 fire damage each. Mr. Magic may deal a third target 3 fire damage.
”I wish I may, I wish I might, / give these creeps a mighty smite!” -Mr. Magic, Out of the Bottle #1

1,728,493 Rabbits x1
Ongoing, Protect
Reduce all damage dealt by 2.
The first time a villain target deals damage each turn, Mr. Magic deals that target 1 irreducible psychic damage.
At the start of your turn, you may destroy this card.
”Okay, that’s enough, now. That’s enough! Crap, what rhymes with ’Stop Making Rabbits?!’” -Mr. Magic, A Day in the Life: Mr. Magic

Bottle of Panacea x1
Equipment, Relic, Protect
Each hero gains access to the following power.
Power: 1 target regains 6 HP. Destroy this card.
”Huh. Tastes like milk and honey. Oh, and also, my arm isn’t broken anymore!” -Setback, Out of the Bottle #5

Box of Bandaids x1
One-Shot, Protect
1 target regains 2 HP.
You may draw a card from your Wand deck.
“Oh. Okay. See, what I WANTED was another bottle of that miracle potion, but SURE, no, this is fine. This is FINE!” -Mr. Magic, A Day in the Life: Mr. Magic

Brick Wall (7 HP) x1
Cover, Protect
When this card enters play, place it next to a hero target. You may redirect any damage dealt to that target by villain targets to this card.
Reduce damage dealt to this card by 1.
”I doubt that she’d survive their wrath, so please put something in their path!” -Mr. Magic, Out of the Bottle #6

Cornucopia x1
One-Shot, Protect
Each hero target regains 3 HP.
“Salty, sour, bitter, sweet, / give us something good to eat!” -Mr. Magic, Swords and Sorcery #2

Flawless Disguise x1
Ongoing, Protect
Replace the phrase “hero target” on all villain cards with “environment target,” and the phrases “hero target” and “non-environment target” on all environment cards with “non-environment target” and “villain target.”
If a hero target deals damage to a non-hero target, destroy this card.
Intended Art: Expatriette, Setback, and Mr. Magic find themselves dressed as a Mariachi band, complete with instruments and mustaches (even Expatriette.) They stand in a bar, seemingly unnoticed, while some thugs look around angrily.
“Just keep playing. When we finish our set, we leave. And then we never, EVER, speak of this again.” -Expatriette, Out of the Bottle #4

Shining Shield x1
Equipment, Relic, Protect
When this card enters play, place it next to a hero. That hero gains access to the following power.
Power: Reduce damage dealt to this hero by 2 until the start of your next turn.
FANATIC: “This was surely forged by angels.”
MR. MAGIC: “I… don’t know that it WASN’T forged by angels.”
-Swords and Sorcery #4

Biggest Fan x1
One-Shot, Distract
Take 1 or 2 non-indestructible, non-character cards in play and put them on top of their decks.
MR. FIXER: “You Realize he’ll be back before long.”
MR. MAGIC: “That’s future me’s problem.”
-Out of the Bottle #5

Portrait of Medusa x1
Equipment, Relic, Distract
When this card enters play, Destroy an ongoing card.
Villain cards cannot be played.
You cannot play cards.
At the end of your turn, if this card was not played this turn, destroy this card.
“What? What is it? It can’t be that bad, let me take a l—“ -Mr. Magic, ???

Bottomless Pit x1
One-Shot, Distract
Destroy an environment card. If you did not destroy a target this way, you may destroy a target with 5 or fewer hp.
NIGHTMIST: “I didn’t know you could make something like THAT.”
MR. MAGIC: “Well… I CAN! And I KNEW that I could! Yes, I DEFINITELY knew that would happen!”
-Out of the Bottle #2

Emergency Exit x1
One-Shot, Distract
Destroy all environment cards.
Play the top card of the environment deck.
LEGACY: “Where does it lead?”
MR. MAGIC: “NOT HERE!”
-Out of the Bottle #2

Fireworks Display x1
One-Shot, Distract
Destroy 1 to 3 ongoing or equipment cards.
Mr. Magic deals each non-hero target X minus 1 radiant damage, and each hero target X minus 2 radiant damage, where X equals the number of cards destroyed this way.
”Grenades detonating and bullets that fly, / light this place up like the Fourth of July!” -Mr. Magic, ???

Miniature Black Hole x1
Ongoing, Distract
At the end of your turn, destroy an environment card, an equipment card, or an ongoing card other than this card. If no non-hero cards were destroyed this way, destroy a non-character card.
At the start of your turn, Mr. Magic deals himself 2 irreducible infernal damage.
”Things are bleak. I don’t want to leave here in a hearse. / So just create SOMETHING. You CAN’T make things worse!” -Mr. Magic, ???

The cards I have are still in kind of a playtest format, but I'll upload a more complete version when I have time to update them all. What card art I have was made using Game-Icons.net and Heromachine. I'm not sure what I might do in the future; maybe I'll try to fill in more cards with Heromachine, maybe I'll settle for the Game-Icons art and change some of the quotes to make that less confusing. I'll keep on working on Heromachine cards, and upload the whole deck when it's done. I've got the files set up so that they're all ready to be uploaded to Tabletop Simulator.

CHANGE LOG

1/28/18
- Black Velvet Medusa is now a relic called Portrait of Medusa that stops Mr. Magic from playing cards
- Bottomless Pit now only lets you destroy a 5 hp target if you didn’t destroy a target already
- Box of Bandaids no longer specifies that its healing goes to a damaged target
- Repeat Performance now lets you play a card
- Fireworks Display is now phrased “destroy 1 to 3 ongoing cards,” and deals X-1 damage to non-heroes and X-2 damage to heroes, where X = cards destroyed. In addition, it can now destroy equipment cards making it both potentially more useful, and potentially more detrimental.
- 5TSGBSf30FU now only has backlash if used to destroy a target
- changed the attribution of several flavor texts; these might change again as I work out Mr. Magic's run in comics

2/3/18
- Hat Trick is now Trick Hat, a relic that activates at the END of your turn and doesn’t destroy itself.
- Determined Focus now lets you play a card.
- Flawless Disguise now works by changing the wording on non-hero cards to get the villain and environment decks to attack each other, while heroes are comparatively rarely caught in the crossfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Tuell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Notes on How He's Intended to Play

Mr. Magic's wand deck is separated into 3 categories of general effects, differentiated by colored symbols. His base power and Incantation cards get these into play, but you only get to choose which symbol you're selecting from rather than the specific card.

Red Comets: He Attac (7 cards)
Attack cards deal damage. If all of Mr. Magic's Attack cards are still in his wand deck, playing one at random means you have a 4/7 chance of dealing at least one damage to at least one target when the card gets played. You also have a 4/7 chance to set up damage later down the line, and an unfortunate 3/7 chance of dealing some damage to yourself and/or your teammates, higher if there aren't at least two nasties on the board. Ominous Thundercloud is great against most villains, but terrible against the Dreamer, or in a tight endgame. Giant Cobra is the perfect card to help mop up minions, but if you're fighting Progeny in Rook City (for whatever insane reason,) it's going to be a problem. Luckily, a Wave of the Wand or a Distract card play can generally help get rid of these cards before they become a problem.

Yellow Shields: but also, He Protec (7 cards)
Protect cards help negate damage, either by healing targets, or by preventing damage in the first place. If all of Mr. Magic's Protect cards are still in his wand deck, playing one at random gives you a 3/7 chance of getting some healing, and a 4/7 chance of getting resistance or immunity to damage for at least one hero. Shining Shield is great for protecting a hero long term, but requires constant power use to maintain effectiveness. Brick Wall is a fantastic defensive option, but doesn't work against the environment or self-harm. 1,728,493 Rabbits and Flawless Disguise are great for buying breathing room, but difficult to keep around in the long term; Disguise in particular is useless against villains like Akash'Bhuta who target heroes and environment cards indiscriminately, though it can be very handy for avoiding nasty villain effects that aren't damage-based.

Blue Clouds: and also, he Distrac (6 cards)
As a magician-themed hero, it should come as little surprise that a specialty of Mr. Magic's is making things disappear. Distract cards destroy other cards, usually ongoings or environment cards, though he does have a few that can destroy other cards in the right circumstances. Having a base power that lets him destroy environment and ongoing cards might seem a little OP in certain circumstances, but that's tempered by the fact that he can only control which of these cards he destroys with a limited degree of reliability. If all of Mr.
Magic's Distract cards are still in his wand deck, playing one at random means a 2/3 chance of immediately destroying at least one environment and a 2/3 chance of immediately destroying at least one ongoing. Be careful, though, since none of these cards will let you destroy nothing; if you play a Distract card, something's gonna disappear. The most formidable double-edged sword in this category is Miniature Black Hole, which will eat at Mr. Magic's health as it slowly destroys every non-character card on the board if you let it.

So how to control this fountain of random trash/treasures? With the Main deck, of course. Hat Trick, Wave of the Wand, and Rhyme Scheming can all help you get the cards you want when you want them, and get rid of the ones you don't. Dark Consultation is a great card for deck manipulation, but it's also very effective at controlling your wand deck, especially since (unless I've misinterpreted the rules,) if a card tells you to "shuffle all other revealed cards back into the deck," you only have to shuffle if you revealed multiple cards. Determined Focus helps maximize the benefit and minimize the harm from a random play, and can be particularly effective with Cornucopia, Miniature Black Hole, and Amp That Goes to 11. And Repeat Performance, while it may seem like a weak play, is an essential way to restock the Wand deck, since trashes don't get shuffled into decks until they run out; and, as a bonus, it gives you the chance to leave out the cards that are harmful or useless, and only refresh the cards you really want in a given game.

Mr. Magic is definitely a character that you can play more effectively the better you know and understand his deck; I wouldn't recommend trying him without reading all the way through his wand deck at least once, though playing him cold would almost certainly be an interesting experience. I think you'll like him if you enjoy randomness in your games, though he's probably going to be poison to people who are irritated by frequent shuffling. His randomness also means that he's gonna need a lot of playtesting, so please try him out and let me know what you think of him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh.

There's all kinds of interactions this setup makes me wonder about, but it seems like the Rules card explains everything succinctly. Though I wonder if the Wand deck is still considered a hero deck... I guess so? I'm excited to dive into this brave new world, regardless.

Justonalark wrote:
Determined Focus x2
One-Shot
Until the end of this turn, increase all damage dealt by Mr. Magic to non-hero targets by 1, increase all HP recovered by hero targets by 1, and reduce all damage dealt by Mr. Magic to hero targets by 1.
Hero ongoing and equipment cards are indestructible until the end of this turn.

I love reading through decks in order posted, because sometimes you get to a card with an effect like this and just have to wonder, oh great, what's he going to be doing? XD

Justonalark wrote:
Repeat Performance x3
One-Shot
Choose Attack, Protect, or Distract. Take any number of cards of that type from your Wand trash and shuffle them into your Wand deck.

This seems like a fairly light effect, all things considered. I'm thinking card draw or some such might be warranted.

Justonalark wrote:
Rhyme Scheming x2
Ongoing, Limited
If you skip your play or power phase, you may draw from your Main or Wand decks during your draw phase.

Ooh! You can draw from the Wand deck? Now that's interesting...

Justonalark wrote:
5 Ton Solid Gold Buddha Statue from 30 Feet Up x1
One-Shot, Attack
Mr. Magic may deal 1 target 10 melee damage. If that target was dealt more than 5 damage this way, each player must discard or destroy 1 of their cards.

This is off to a great start with that card title. XD I'll note the usual tradeoff is destroy 1 or discard 2. Otherwise, the choice is almost always going to be "I'd rather lose a card from hand than from play".

Justonalark wrote:
Amp That Goes to 11 x1
Equipment, Relic, Attack
When this card enters play, Mr. Magic deals each target 1 sonic damage. When it is destroyed, Mr. Magic deals each hero target 1 sonic damage and each non-hero target 4 sonic damage.
Power: Destroy this card.
MR. MAGIC: “CAN YOU BELIEVE I’VE NEVER HAD A LESSON?!”
ARGENT ADEPT: “WHAT?!
MR. MAGIC: “WHAT?!
-Virtuoso of the Void #???

The flavor text of these cards is amazing. XD

Justonalark wrote:
Giant Cobra (7 HP) x1
Enormous Reptile, Attack
At the start of your turn, this card deals the target with the lowest HP 3 toxic damage.

This is interesting, because if you get to a spot where it's turning on you, his collateral damage is going to work in your favor somewhat.

Justonalark wrote:
1,728,493 Rabbits x1
Ongoing, Protect
Reduce all damage dealt by 2.
The first time a villain target deals damage each turn, Mr. Magic deals that target 1 irreducible psychic damage.
At the start of your turn, you may destroy this card.

I'm dying. That said... I guess the tradeoff is that villain targets are less likely to do more than 2 damage frequently? So you probably won't be dealing tons and tons of damage with that reaction clause. Would be great against Infinitor, though.

Justonalark wrote:
Flawless Disguise x1
Ongoing, Protect
Heroes and hero cards may not be targeted by effects that specifically target heroes, hero cards, or non-environment cards.

Okay, I like the destruction clause on this, very flavorful. The effect itself isn't something I've seen before though, so I wonder how it would interact...

Justonalark wrote:
Black Velvet Medusa x1
One-Shot, Distract
Destroy an ongoing card.
Until the start of your next turn, villain cards cannot be played.
Skip your next play phase.

As a proponent of the "if it's happening now, it's easier to remember" school of thought, I would suggest making this an ongoing that A) prevents villain cards from being played and B) prevents you from playing cards until the start of your next power phase or something? Or else has another detrimental effect (maybe just an "end your turn") that would happen right now, when you play it instead of later, when maybe you've forgotten about it?

Justonalark wrote:
Bottomless Pit x1
One-Shot, Distract
Destroy an environment card. If you do, you may destroy a target with 5 or fewer hp.

This almost feels like it wants to be Extremist Sky-Scraper's Huge power. Given there's a certain amount of randomness to his play style, it'll be fairly rare that this comes up when there aren't any environment cards in play. But destroying a non-target environment card as the prerequisite for destroying a target with 5 or fewer HP seems like a win-win that will nevertheless make the player feel clever for pulling it off. I mean, either way, you destroy a target, it's just a question of environment or not.

Justonalark wrote:
Fireworks Display x1
One-Shot, Distract
Destroy 1, 2, or 3 ongoing cards.
Mr. Magic deals each non-hero target X radiant damage, where X equals the number of cards destroyed this way minus 1.

That's an awful lot of damage for a Distract card. >.> I was expecting it to be all targets, even with it not being a one-to-one ratio like Fueled Freeze.

Justonalark wrote:
Miniature Black Hole x1
Ongoing, Distract
At the end of your turn, destroy an environment card, an equipment card, or an ongoing card other than this card. If no non-hero cards were destroyed this way, destroy a non-character card.
At the start of your turn, Mr. Magic deals himself 2 irreducible infernal damage.

So this one's gonna come out and stay out forever, until something either destroys ongoings or Mr. Magic dies? Hm. I'm just looking askance at the "other than this card" clause. I mean, if it comes out and can work in your favor, sure, leave it out, but otherwise, it could always collapse in on itself.

I love the flavor of this guy, the deck was hilarious to read through. I feel like you've got some strong cards with good drawbacks or restrictions, and nothing in the Wand deck that I would never want to see come into play. (That can happen sometimes with randomness decks; there's that one card that you just go, "It's in there somewhere, we can't risk it.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Perry
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of this hero! When I first saw the Attack, Protect, and Distract. I thought he might play like Argent Adept but Mr. Magic honestly sounds way more fun. I love the flavor text on these cards too!

Quote:
Wave of the Wand x4
One-Shot
Draw a card from your Wand deck.
You may destroy a Wand card in play.
”So for my first wish, I wished for something that could create anything I wanted.” -Mr. Magic, Out of the Bottle #4

When you draw a wand card, do you just play it whenever you want like a normal card from your main deck?

Quote:
Ominous Thundercloud x1
Ongoing, Attack
At the end of your turn, If this card did not enter play this turn, Mr. Magic deals the target with the highest HP 6 lightning damage. If that target took damage this way, destroy this card.
Intended Art: Legacy and the Dark Hero struggle in the air over Megalopolis as storm clouds gather.
”By the ocean, sky, and ground, / knock that flying menace down!” -Mr. Magic, Out of the Bottle #2

With this, unless you had some kind of combo going with it, you could just say it deals damage at the start of your turn instead of at the end. Seems like that might be an annoying thing to keep track of, "if it was not played this turn"

Quote:
Box of Bandaids x1
One-Shot, Protect
1 target that is below its maximum HP regains 2 HP.
You may draw a card from your Wand deck.
“Oh. Okay. See, what I WANTED was another bottle of that miracle potion, but SURE, no, this is fine. This is FINE!” -Mr. Magic, A Day in the Life: Mr. Magic

It would be fine to say "One target regains 2 HP". Targets can't go above their Max HP in this game.

Quote:
Flawless Disguise x1
Ongoing, Protect
Heroes and hero cards may not be targeted by effects that specifically target heroes, hero cards, or non-environment cards.
Intended Art: Expatriette, Setback, and Mr. Magic find themselves dressed as a Mariachi band, complete with instruments and mustaches (even Expatriette.) They stand in a bar, seemingly unnoticed, while some thugs look around angrily.
“Just keep playing. When we finish our set, we leave. And then we never, EVER, speak of this again.” -Expatriette, Mystery Comics #??1

For this card, are you implying that heroes are immune to damage as well as their cards are not able to be tampered with. This seems like it could be an overpowered card. You could use it to set people up for as long as you need to.

Quote:
Fireworks Display x1
One-Shot, Distract
Destroy 1, 2, or 3 ongoing cards.
Mr. Magic deals each non-hero target X radiant damage, where X equals the number of cards destroyed this way minus 1.
”Grenades detonating and bullets that fly, / light this place up like the Fourth of July!” -Mr. Magic, ???

You can say "Destroy up to 3 ongoing cards". I love cards like this though. Absolute Zero's version is one of my favorite cards of his.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Tuell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I hadn’t expected to get this much detailed criticism so soon. This is FANTASTIC. Let’s get down to it!

TakeWalker wrote:
There's all kinds of interactions this setup makes me wonder about... I wonder if the Wand deck is still considered a hero deck...?
cryosneasel wrote:
When you draw a wand card, do you just play it whenever you want like a normal card from your main deck?
Seems like we may need a few clarifications:
- Wand cards, while in your hand or in play, are hero cards that belong to Mr. Magic, and can be played from your hand, destroyed by effects that destroy ongoings/equipments (if applicable), etc. Basically they function perfectly normally, they're just harder to get access to in the first place.
- The Wand deck IS a hero deck, it just doesn’t count as MR. MAGIC’S hero deck, or ANY specific hero’s deck. The clause on his rules card which states that “whenever a card refers to your deck... it refers to your Main deck” means that most effects in a typical game will ignore it, but there are exceptions. For example, a card that messes with the top card of every deck, or every hero deck, mess with the top of the Wand deck. Any effect that lets you choose any single deck to target, like Writhe’s Extract, can be used on the Wand deck (Super Scientific Tachyon is especially interesting to pair him with.) If it helps, think of the Wand deck/trash as an extra hero that doesn’t have a hand or a character card, and if a card could still validly affect it under those circumstances, then it does.
- If anyone thinks the rules card is unclear on this and has suggestions for improving its wording, I’m all ears!

TakeWalker wrote:
[Repeat Performance] seems like a fairly light effect, all things considered. I'm thinking card draw or some such might be warranted.
It does seem a little lackluster, but it’s an effect his deck desperately needs. I’m not opposed to spicing it up a little, but with a deck of only 20 cards, a little card draw goes a long way, and I’ve tried to avoid giving him cards that let him draw cards as a result. As for drawing from his wand deck, that’s an effect that I’ve made deliberately rare for obvious reasons.

TakeWalker wrote:
[For 5 Ton Solid Gold Buddha Statue from 30 Feet Up,] I'll note the usual tradeoff is destroy 1 or discard 2. Otherwise, the choice is almost always going to be "I'd rather lose a card from hand than from play".
Originally, this had each player discarding or destroying 2 cards, in any combination, but that seemed a little too harsh; and adding a "discard 2 or destroy 1" clause seems a little wordy... maybe I'll get rid of the choice, and make it either just "discard 2" or just "destroy 1."
ALSO: I’m not sure, in official rules terms, exactly how damage is kept track of, which is to say, if I use this on a target with 2 health, does it do 2 damage (reducing it to 0) or 10 damage (reducing it to -8, as the video game seems to suggest)? I originally put in the “5 or more damage” clause so that this card could get in a free unexpected whack on, for example, Voss with a few minions out, but now I’m not quite sure how it interacts, or how I want it to interact, with low health targets.

TakeWalker wrote:
[Giant Cobra] is interesting, because if you get to a spot where it's turning on you, his collateral damage is going to work in your favor somewhat.
I assume you're referring to the toxic damage he takes from hunger if there's nothing weaker than him for him to eat?

cryosneasel wrote:
With [Ominous Thundercloud], unless you had some kind of combo going with it, you could just say it deals damage at the start of your turn instead of at the end. Seems like that might be an annoying thing to keep track of, "if it was not played this turn"
That is the way it worked initially, but I wanted to give Mr. Magic a chance to use a play or power to destroy the Cloud before it strikes if it becomes apparent that it’s going to hit a hero, and to do that he has to have a turn with it out. Personally, I think it's simple enough to remember that it activates at the end of your turn the round after you play it, but I'll keep this in mind.

TakeWalker wrote:
I guess the tradeoff [for 1,728,493 Rabbits] is that villain targets are less likely to do more than 2 damage frequently? So you probably won't be dealing tons and tons of damage with that reaction clause.
This is really supposed to be kind of a “lesser Meteor Storm” that mitigates damage to give heroes a round or two to regroup and recover; the psychic damage is just there as a consolation prize, in case some damage manages to leak through. Also, I needed a card that dealt psychic damage so that each damage type would be represented in his deck on exactly one card.

cryosneasel wrote:
It would be fine [for Box of Bandaids] to say "One target regains 2 HP". Targets can't go above their Max HP in this game.
True, but I thought it would be interesting to make this a card that HAS to be used to heal SOMETHING. If Box of Bandaids comes out when all hero targets are at full, the current wording means that it has to be used to heal an environment or villain target, if possible. Still, that isn't likely to happen, and it's not very flavorful in any case, so I might just go with your wording.

TakeWalker wrote:
The effect [of Flawless Disguise] isn't something I've seen before though, so I wonder how it would interact...
I’ve had some trouble with this card. The first iteration made hero cards count as environment cards instead of hero cards, but then I couldn’t make the destruction clause work the way I wanted (since any hero attack is now an environment attack.) I tried making it so the card only had an effect during villain and environment turns, but that just got cumbersome and confusing fast. I nearly gave up and just had it make heroes immune to non-hero damage, though I liked how the previous versions would also protect them from non-damage shenanigans. I know the wording on the current version isn’t strictly speaking standard, but I think it reads clearly enough, and I’ve finally made a version of the card that works perfe-
cryosneasel wrote:
[Flawless Disguise] seems like it could be an overpowered card. You could use it to set people up for as long as you need to.
Well, ****.
You’ve got a good point here, since its effects even make it so that the card itself can’t be messed with by non-heroes. For now, though, I think I’ll leave it as-is, counting on the fact that a single point of hero-to-non-hero damage pops the whole thing to discourage potential abuse. But if anyone playtesting could keep an eye on this one and see if it winds up being OP in their games, let me know.

TakeWalker wrote:
As a proponent of the "if it's happening now, it's easier to remember" school of thought, I would suggest making [Black Velvet Medusa] an ongoing that A) prevents villain cards from being played and B) prevents you from playing cards until the start of your next power phase or something? Or else has another detrimental effect (maybe just an "end your turn") that would happen right now, when you play it instead of later, when maybe you've forgotten about it?
I have noticed that this one tends to be hard to remember, but I really like the symmetry of Mr. Magic getting hit with the same effect that hits the villain. Maybe I’ll make it another equipment relic and have it destroy itself the same way that Ominous Thundercloud does.
(Side note: before I decided that 5-Ton Solid Gold Buddha Statue from 30 Feet Up was funnier if it was the only cumbersome name in the batch, this card was called Photorealistic Black Velvet Portrait of Medusa.)

TakeWalker wrote:
Given there's a certain amount of randomness to his play style, it'll be fairly rare that [Bottomless Pit] comes up when there aren't any environment cards in play. But destroying a non-target environment card as the prerequisite for destroying a target with 5 or fewer HP seems like a win-win that will nevertheless make the player feel clever for pulling it off. I mean, either way, you destroy a target, it's just a question of environment or not.
This is a FANTASTIC idea! I love what it does for gameplay, and it makes it that much more thematic!

TakeWalker wrote:
[Fireworks Display deals] an awful lot of damage for a Distract card. >.> I was expecting it to be all targets, even with it not being a one-to-one ratio like Fueled Freeze.
cryosneasel wrote:
[Fireworks Display] can say "Destroy up to 3 ongoing cards". I love cards like this though. Absolute Zero's version is one of my favorite cards of his.
Ah, but then you could choose to destroy ZERO ongoings, and we can’t have that! I suppose I could say “1 to 3” if people think that flows better.
Anyway, it's funny (though not unexpected) that you both mentioned Fueled Freeze... the original version of this card DID have damage to everyone, but only if you destroyed 3 cards. Then I remembered Fueled Freeze, and I thought “Wand cards should generally be better than cards you can play normally,” so I tried to sweeten the pot a little, and maybe sweetened it too much? I could try making it damage everyone, but keep the current damage condition... Ideally, I’d like to find a way to make this card a potentially enticing risk/reward scenario, where you’d be like “I definitely want to get rid of Return with the Dawn, but if I also destroy Next Evolution and maybe Punish the Weak, I could finally finish off Citizen Truth, and get some damage in on all these other guys.” Maybe I could have it do X-1 to non-heroes and X-2 to heroes? Or maybe it’s fine as is. Another one to keep an eye on in playtesting I guess!

TakeWalker wrote:
So [Miniature Black Hole]'s gonna come out and stay out forever, until something either destroys ongoings or Mr. Magic dies? Hm. I'm just looking askance at the "other than this card" clause. I mean, if it comes out and can work in your favor, sure, leave it out, but otherwise, it could always collapse in on itself.
I think this is the way the card worked originally, but I felt it was too strong; I like the idea that this is a card that takes at least a little effort to get rid of, and Mr. Magic’s got enough options for destroying a wand ongoing that it seemed unnecessary to give him another one for this one. In fact, this is a card that I still fear may be too strong; it definitely let me dominate the one game where I left it out. Then again, I was fighting Deadline with Dr. Medico to keep me healed up, so it might just be that it was the perfect card for that scenario. Still, this is definitely another card I’d like people to help me keep an eye on.

Thank you for your kind words and suggested improvements! I'm glad you seem to enjoy the flavor! I'll definitely be making some changes based on your feedback over the next couple of days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justonalark wrote:
ALSO: I’m not sure, in official rules terms, exactly how damage is kept track of, which is to say, if I use this on a target with 2 health, does it do 2 damage (reducing it to 0) or 10 damage (reducing it to -8, as the video game seems to suggest)? I originally put in the “5 or more damage” clause so that this card could get in a free unexpected whack on, for example, Voss with a few minions out, but now I’m not quite sure how it interacts, or how I want it to interact, with low health targets.

If you use this on a 2 HP minion with no damage reduction, it will deal 10 damage. It sounds like you want the check to be "if a target took 5 or more damage this way". That being said, this might be the one card you never want to see. Outside of Voss, there aren't a lot of targets with 5 or more DR at any given moment, so you're almost always going to get hit with that backlash.

Justonalark wrote:
(Side note: before I decided that 5-Ton Solid Gold Buddha Statue from 30 Feet Up was funnier if it was the only cumbersome name in the batch, this card was called Photorealistic Black Velvet Portrait of Medusa.)

Oh, that kind of Velvet Medusa! I was thinking the wand had created a pretty lady out of the aether and Mr. Magic and the villain were both being a little distracted... I feel dumb now. XD

Justonalark wrote:
I tried to sweeten the pot a little, and maybe sweetened it too much? I could try making it damage everyone, but keep the current damage condition... Ideally, I’d like to find a way to make this card a potentially enticing risk/reward scenario, where you’d be like “I definitely want to get rid of Return with the Dawn, but if I also destroy Next Evolution and maybe Punish the Weak, I could finally finish off Citizen Truth, and get some damage in on all these other guys.” Maybe I could have it do X-1 to non-heroes and X-2 to heroes? Or maybe it’s fine as is. Another one to keep an eye on in playtesting I guess!

It'd be really easy to make this ridiculously complex. I do see it as a way to not only help out with the villain's current power level, but maybe get rid of some less appreciated Wand cards. So what about, destroy up to 3 ongoings, Mr. Magic deals each non-hero target X-1 damage. Then if he dealt 2 or more damage to a target this way, he deals each hero target 1 damage? So there's some tradeoff (I know Fueled Freeze is considered a really powerful card), but it won't always be amazing. I mean, you can destroy two ongoings and you've got a crappier version of Sedative Flechettes, so it's not too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Tuell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:
[5 Ton Solid Gold Buddha Statue from 30 Feet Up] might be the one card you never want to see. Outside of Voss, there aren't a lot of targets with 5 or more DR at any given moment, so you're almost always going to get hit with that backlash.
Well, I don't want that. I think I'm gonna make the backlash "everyone discard 1" so it's not too terrible, and change it so the backlash activates only if the target is destroyed, or only if it had 5 or less hp or something. That last one is probably the most thematically appropriate, now that I think about it.

TakeWalker wrote:
Oh, that kind of Velvet Medusa! I was thinking the wand had created a pretty lady out of the aether and Mr. Magic and the villain were both being a little distracted... I feel dumb now. XD
I could see that, very Loony Toons, but definitely not what I had intended. I think I might change the name to "Portrait of Medusa," and just remember, in my heart of hearts, that it's on black velvet, because (for whatever reason,) that detail will always be funny to me.

TakeWalker wrote:
Justonalark wrote:
I could try making [Fireworks Display] damage everyone, but keep the current damage condition... Maybe I could have it do X-1 to non-heroes and X-2 to heroes?
It'd be really easy to make this ridiculously complex... So what about, destroy up to 3 ongoings, Mr. Magic deals each non-hero target X-1 damage. Then if he dealt 2 or more damage to a target this way, he deals each hero target 1 damage? ...it's not too powerful.
I'm not concerned about it being too powerful, I definitely don't think it's that; I just want every wand card to be desirable in some situations, less desirable in others, and occasionally dangerous, but rewarding, to use. I think I'm gonna stick with X-1 to villains, X-2 to heroes, X = cards destroyed; it's more or less the same as your suggestion, but I think it reads a little cleaner. Could be wrong, though... what are people's thoughts on card algebra?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Tuell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It certainly has its limitations, but I think me and Heromachine are gonna get along juuuuust fine. Plus, I think tinting the colors for different types of wand cards is working pretty well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I'm excited about the possibilities of that site and I thank you for introducing it to us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Always tickled to see Cauldron characters pop up in others' flavor text.

Although be careful, I hear that if you cameo Mara in a deck, you have to then create all her art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Tuell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:
I have to say I'm excited about the possibilities of that site and I thank you for introducing it to us!

I AM THE GOD OF HEROMACHINE AND ALL SHALL TREMBLE BEFORE ME

Seriously, though, it's a great program. I've been using it to make portraits for D&D games and solidify the look of characters for years, but I've never pushed its boundaries this far and I'm surprised and impressed at how well it's holding up.

tosx wrote:
...be careful, I hear that if you cameo Mara in a deck, you have to then create all her art.

Ah, jeez, I hope not! Doing one picture of her is probably gonna be hard enough! But if I can get that Buddha statue picture to work, I'm pretty sure I can get an approximation of more or less anything.

[EDIT]: Just made a few updates to the deck info and images!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Tuell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made some more minor tweaks. Flawless Disguise continues to be a thorn in my side, but I'm working on it. The current version is complicated enough that the wording is a little unwieldy, but I like the way it gets the villain and environment decks to attack each other; if I stick with it, I'll probably get rid of the card protection part to save on space.

Alternatively, as I was posting this, I came up with the following:

Flawless Disguise wrote:
Heroes and hero cards cannot be affected by text on non-hero cards.
If a player plays more than 1 card in a turn or uses a power, or if a hero target deals damage to a non-hero target, destroy this card.

Much simpler and more straightforward, but possibly too powerful? Maybe prevent card play entirely, so it's like a mass Mistform? Or maybe sticking with the current wording (probably minus ongoing/equipment protection) is good. I'd love to hear anyone's feedback on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Flawless Disguise wrote:
Heroes and hero cards cannot be affected by text on non-hero cards.
If a player plays more than 1 card in a turn or uses a power, or if a hero target deals damage to a non-hero target, destroy this card.
The problem with these ideas is they equate to "draw your whole deck/play all your setup cards" (unless you missed a "destroy at start of turn" clause?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Tuell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:
The problem with these ideas is they equate to "draw your whole deck/play all your setup cards" (unless you missed a "destroy at start of turn" clause?).

Yeah, you have a point, and it's one cryosneasel made before about the last version. All I really want is to thematically invoke the idea of the heroes blending into the environment, and I think I got into the weeds a little when I started trying to make it protect ongoings/equipments as a way to differentiate it from 1,728,493 Rabbits. I'm currently leaning towards the current version minus said protection; that way it's a card that makes it difficult for heroes to take damage at the cost of making it impossible for them to deal damage, similar to ~2mR, but with slightly different drawbacks. If that still makes it too powerful, I could try replacing "hero" with "non-villain" instead of "environment," so it just forces the villain to attack the environment and heroes indiscriminately, although I think I'd get rid of the auto-destruct clause in that case.

Or, maybe just go with your suggestion and make it last just 1 round. But it feels a little less thematic that way.

[EDIT: Just got rid of the ongoing/equipment protection clause.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, so I gave him a couple tries with probably the older version of his deck. I find him fun, but very Setback-y, in the sense of "point him at the villains and hope he wins". Have a video!

I feel like his innate power should be more along the lines of "play the top card of the Wand Deck" or "reveal the top card of the Wand Deck and either put it into play or shuffle it back into the Wand Deck". There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of differentiation between it and the various conjuring one-shots. Just my opinion. :B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Tuell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much! I've been continuing to try and tweak his deck and to make more art for his cards, but it's been slow going. Any evidence that people are still interested in this guy is extremely motivating, and being chosen for one of your videos is a huge honor!

As for your comment on his base power, I can kind of see where you're coming from, but I think I'll leave it as is. For both thematic reasons and gameplay, I like the idea that the player has at least some tenuous amount of control over the wand (deck)'s power, and I feel that letting you choose a vague category of what to expect accomplishes that nicely.

That said, the incantation one-shots are basically intended as "use your base power twice this turn" effects, so it's no coincidence that they're similar. They're also there to give some of his original chaotic flavor to a potential promo where he has more control over the wand, though I haven't quite worked out the details on that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, if the intention is being able to essentially use your base power twice, then I guess that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.