Santa Maria» Forums » General

Subject: Solo game score woes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chester Hsu
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I’ve played the solo game about 7 times now and my highest score is only 68. Is it supposed to be that difficult or am
I just that bad?
Still had a lot of fun though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Manansala
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I’ve played it twice so far and scored 85 as my highest score. I can’t imagine trying to score 120+ points! Seems to be a tough challenge and need to have the right combo to achieve this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaching a high score normally requires a mixed strategy, with early expansion of your colony and focusing on high points from at least one or two bishops.

I strongly recommend trying out the other achievements before aiming for the 120 goal. That will help you learn how to maximize points from each source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hsu
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the tips
I will try to focus more on Bishop end game bonuses and a mixed strategy next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I enjoy this game solo. But someone need to make an ai opponent. (Automata)
That would be epic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Detsky
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe it was beginner's luck but I managed a score of 124 on my first attempt at a solo game! I have reviewed my gameplay and the rules at length and don't see any mistakes or rule-breaking in my gameplay.

My initial scholar was Philosophy which I chose because my initial rolls included two white 3's and one blue 3 so I was able to load up that column with great buildings to use multiple times. I also was able to use some buildings in the early first year to move on the religion track to get a monk which was used to get the Construction scholar and also a second blue die in the first year. The combination of Philosophy and Construction I found super powerful.

I got my third blue die on the second year which also helped. I also found that getting past the trees on the conquistador track (1 in first year, 2 in second, all three in third) to be quite easy (and yes, I did reset the marker back to the start at the beginning of each year).

Here is my end of game colony board, which I note has only one single square unfilled which really helped with colonist scoring:

Scoring was:

Points during game: 39 (the photo shows only 33 but I forgot to give myself the 6 points for the conquistador track at the end)
Resources and coins: 3
Colonists: 20
Scholars: 8 (Philosophy was 3, Construction was 3 and I also got Taxation for 2)
Bishops: 8 (just Build A Square which was 10 for a 5x5 minus 2)
Harbours: 9 (3 sets)
Shipment Tiles: 37

I plan to cross-post into the SGOYT for the month to see what others have been scoring. Maybe it was just beginner's luck!? I plan to play a bunch more and will see how I score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Charland
Canada
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I scored 108 and 105 my first two games and I lost on my third attempt trying another strategy (colonist heavy) with 87 points.

The way I play though is with a simple Automa to create a drafting tension.
I am using 6 white dice (2 player setup).
I simply roll a dice on Automa's turn and it takes a white dice of this value if able. On top of that, if the result was a 1, it takes a shipping Tile (roll for it). If the result was a 2 (or 3), it takes a 2 (or 3) size expansion tile.

I think it makes the solo game more fun knowing an other player could take away the Die or Tile you are looking for.

Great game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Grant
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once multiplayer and we played incorrectly to start so re started. Are you only using one coin to activate each square? I hope not as this was our mistake. It looks like you are from the picture but I could be wrong. Each activation goes up in cost by one coin and drops back to one the following year?

Think I'll have to buy this to try solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Wuthe
Germany
Pfungstadt-Eschollbrücken
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Looks like he only used one coin for each area. That makes a great difference! shake

BTW, can anyone state the tree-solo-counting clear please?
When I don‘t reache the second tree in the second year I won‘t get and VP? Really? And the same with the third tree and year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pac76 wrote:
BTW, can anyone state the tree-solo-counting clear please?
When I don‘t reache the second tree in the second year I won‘t get and VP? Really? And the same with the third tree and year?

In a solo-game, passing the trees along the conquistador track determines whether or not you score any points for your conquistadors. Even if you don't pass the tree, you still get vp from other sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Wuthe
Germany
Pfungstadt-Eschollbrücken
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That‘s clear so far. What I wanted to know is if I only score in the second year if I pass the second tree. Or do I get points for scoring the first again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pac76 wrote:
What I wanted to know is if I only score in the second year if I pass the second tree. Or do I get points for scoring the first again?

In the second year you MUST reach the second tree to score points for your conquistadors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to score 126. I managed to get the 3rd blue die in the first round, which helped greatly. I also had the mathematics power and logistics power, which I think are a great combination. Industrialization also helped a lot in the later rounds. And I had a bit of luck on my rolls, so I didn't need a lot of coins to modify dice results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdetsky wrote:
Maybe it was beginner's luck but I managed a score of 124 on my first attempt at a solo game! I have reviewed my gameplay and the rules at length and don't see any mistakes or rule-breaking in my gameplay.

My initial scholar was Philosophy which I chose because my initial rolls included two white 3's and one blue 3 so I was able to load up that column with great buildings to use multiple times. I also was able to use some buildings in the early first year to move on the religion track to get a monk which was used to get the Construction scholar and also a second blue die in the first year. The combination of Philosophy and Construction I found super powerful.

I got my third blue die on the second year which also helped. I also found that getting past the trees on the conquistador track (1 in first year, 2 in second, all three in third) to be quite easy (and yes, I did reset the marker back to the start at the beginning of each year).

Here is my end of game colony board, which I note has only one single square unfilled which really helped with colonist scoring:

Scoring was:

Points during game: 39 (the photo shows only 33 but I forgot to give myself the 6 points for the conquistador track at the end)
Resources and coins: 3
Colonists: 20
Scholars: 8 (Philosophy was 3, Construction was 3 and I also got Taxation for 2)
Bishops: 8 (just Build A Square which was 10 for a 5x5 minus 2)
Harbours: 9 (3 sets)
Shipment Tiles: 37

I plan to cross-post into the SGOYT for the month to see what others have been scoring. Maybe it was just beginner's luck!? I plan to play a bunch more and will see how I score.

It seems like you used only 1 coin for each space, but the rules say to pay 1,2,3,... for each one, so you would have needed a lot more money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Frias
msg tools
after about 10 games I got a score of 121 points. I love this game and although it has simple rules, the way to optimize the game is a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shlomi ben-naim
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
2 questions regarding SOLO.

1. Do you start the game with $3?
2. when earning a monk during the income stage of round 3, can you use that monk token to claim a bishop or scholar or is that too late in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shlomi wrote:
2 questions regarding SOLO.

1. Do you start the game with $3?
2. when earning a monk during the income stage of round 3, can you use that monk token to claim a bishop or scholar or is that too late in the game?

1. yes
2. In a normal game this is possible, so I don't know what in solo would hinder you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.