Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scenario 2 Question and Gloating (minor spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Bosco
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So I just completed the second scenario tonight. I'm playing solo while controlling three characters: Scoundrel, Spellweaver, and Brute.

First, the gloat: I nearly one-shot the big baddy in this scenario. I had my run into the room (and get into luckily great position with six movement) and pop invisibility. The next turn, I was able to unleash a massive 28 damage attack with some great modifiers (backstab, poison, and a couple others). The double damage from being invisible was then doubled by turning over the top card critical. Seven, turned into fourteen, turned into twenty eight. By far the best (and luckiest) combo I could come up with at the most opportune time!

Now onto my question: since I killed the big baddy so quickly, I wasn't able to get the treasure chest in the second room. I know you can replay missions but since this scenario acts differently with how rooms are unlocked, I was wondering if I was able to replay it. My thought is once the main guy was defeated in the scenario, there is no boss to facilitate getting into the second room and allowing me to get the treasure chest.

Two scenarios in and I'm hooked!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can replay any scenario in casual mode, theme be damned! Also, nice shot!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you canbpkay again in casual mode, the boss would be present again and you would just need to wait for him to open the door with the chest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congrats on the win, nice damage output!

Yes, you can replay the scenario, but for me personally, chests are not worth it. Most give gold or XP, which you also collect during a new encounter. Sure, the items and maps are nice, but for me, still not worth the hassle.
If you are a completionist, I would replay directly after finishing a map. That way, it is still set up and you remember the strategies you used. It should be fairly quick.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it depends a lot on how frequently you play the game. There's lot of content to get through in this game (95 scenarios), if you want to get through all of the campaign and then mop up the rest in casual mode you have perhaps 150 hours or more of gaming ahead of you (more if you fail any scenarios). Do you really want to go back and repeat a scenario just so that you can gain a Treasure that may or may not be of any value to you, especially when there are so many different items in the Market in the first place (most of which you won't even try out anyway)?

You may need to repeat a scenario to complete a Personal Quest in casual mode (because there are a limited number of "qualifying" scenarios for some PQs), so I'd try to align repeats for Treasure/PQ goals, but otherwise not bother. Unless, maybe I was playing at a higher hit rate than a couple of scenarios a week. But that's just me, your situation may be different.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The last scenario I ran had our biggest hit we've seen.

One enemy left on the map with something like 11 HP remaining.
Two allies adjacent to the enemy.
Poisoned.

Scoundrel.
Single Out in her active area.
Smoke Bomb activated the turn before. Invisible.
Backstab. 3 damage (base) + 2 damage (enemy adjacent to Scoundrel's ally) + 2 damage (enemy not adjacent to own allies) + 2 damage (Single Out) + 1 damage (poison), doubled for Smoke Bomb, doubled from a Blessing.
Boom. 40 damage. I don't care that it was almost four times what was needed to kill the boss. It was rad. It would have been enough to one-hit him from full health.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
The last scenario I ran had our biggest hit we've seen.

One enemy left on the map with something like 11 HP remaining.
Two allies adjacent to the enemy.
Poisoned.

Scoundrel.
Single Out in her active area.
Smoke Bomb activated the turn before. Invisible.
Backstab. 3 damage (base) + 2 damage (enemy adjacent to Scoundrel's ally) + 2 damage (enemy not adjacent to own allies) + 2 damage (Single Out) + 1 damage (poison), doubled for Smoke Bomb, doubled from a Blessing.
Boom. 40 damage. I don't care that it was almost four times what was needed to kill the boss. It was rad. It would have been enough to one-hit him from full health.

But it really sucks when you work to get a setup like that only to draw a Null on the AttMod. ouch!
(but if there aren't lows to balance out the highs, the game gets boring quickly. haha)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
b0sc02 wrote:
So I just completed the second scenario tonight. I'm playing solo while controlling three characters: Scoundrel, Spellweaver, and Brute.

First, the gloat: I nearly one-shot the big baddy in this scenario. I had my run into the room (and get into luckily great position with six movement) and pop invisibility. The next turn, I was able to unleash a massive 28 damage attack with some great modifiers (backstab, poison, and a couple others). The double damage from being invisible was then doubled by turning over the top card critical. Seven, turned into fourteen, turned into twenty eight. By far the best (and luckiest) combo I could come up with at the most opportune time!

Now onto my question: since I killed the big baddy so quickly, I wasn't able to get the treasure chest in the second room. I know you can replay missions but since this scenario acts differently with how rooms are unlocked, I was wondering if I was able to replay it. My thought is once the main guy was defeated in the scenario, there is no boss to facilitate getting into the second room and allowing me to get the treasure chest.

Two scenarios in and I'm hooked!


Wait, your scoundrel has a 2x? I'm pretty sure mine just came with NULLs...shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We went through the math, at one point. The highest (realistically) possible damage in the second scenario (in the first playthrough in campaign mode) is 48 (Backstab with full boni: 7, Single out (+2), Poison (+1) tinkerer's enhancement field (+1), potion of power (+1), smoke bomb x2, crit x2).
While 80ish is theoretically possible, I'd call anyone claiming to have done it without prior knowledge of the game a dirty liar.

Edited to add poison. Thanks for the headsup!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
We went through the math, at one point. The highest (realistically) possible damage in the second scenario (in the first playthrough in campaign mode) is 44 (Backstab with full boni: 7, Single out (+2), tinkerer's enhancement field (+1), potion of power (+1), smoke bomb x2, crit x2).
While 80ish is theoretically possible, I'd call anyone claiming to have done it without prior knowledge of the game a dirty liar.


I think you might be missing some things.

Don't use backstab, use sinister strike.

Sinister strike Attack 3
eat a moon/darkness, and in a 4 player game, you can get 3 allies adjacent, +6 (and, this doesn't count any summons)
Single out bottom half +2
poison +1
potion of power +1
tinkerer's field +1
smoke bomb x2
crit x2

That's 56, and all I did was add poison, and swap out backstab for sinister strike.

Then you have, any adjacent summons to boost sinister attack, those boots that give bonus damage, and any number of other things, like you said to keep on boosting damage higher and higher.

Of course, in my experience, you set up something like this, and draw a NULL,because that's how the game is meant to be played.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:

I think you might be missing some things.

Don't use backstab, use sinister strike.

Sinister strike Attack 3
eat a moon/darkness, and in a 4 player game, you can get 3 allies adjacent, +6 (and, this doesn't count any summons)
Single out bottom half +2
poison +1
potion of power +1
tinkerer's field +1
smoke bomb x2
crit x2

That's 56, and all I did was add poison, and swap out backstab for sinister strike.

Then you have, any adjacent summons to boost sinister attack, those boots that give bonus damage, and any number of other things, like you said to keep on boosting damage higher and higher.

Of course, in my experience, you set up something like this, and draw a NULL,because that's how the game is meant to be played.

I forgot poison, agreed. That'd bring it to 48. Thanks for pointing it out, as I was writing it up out of memory.

As for Sinister Strike: Crowding 2+ allies around that extremely mobile boss (for up to a theoretical base attack of 13) is too unlikely to be considered "realistically possible" for me. The odds of using backstab at base 7 are more realistic.

I did use it for the 80ish example, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wonham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... Being invisible does double damage?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mwonham wrote:
Wait... Being invisible does double damage?


It's an ability from a scoundrel class card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Bosco
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
But it really sucks when you work to get a setup like that only to draw a Null on the AttMod. ouch!
(but if there aren't lows to balance out the highs, the game gets boring quickly. haha)

If I remember correctly, my scoundrel starting the scenario off with a critical. Shuffled the deck at the end of the round. Pulled a Null (base, not cursed) on the next attack. Shuffled the deck again at the end of the round. Pulled the critical again for the massive attack. Three crits/nulls in a row to start off the scenario.

At first, I was skeptical of the variability of the modifier deck. I love the combat of Mage Knight. After last night, I think it adds so much excitement to each engagement.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.