Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JP Botelho
Canada
Sainte-Therese
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Hello! I jave a question concerning the research card of Lima. I have the french version so excuse the traduction!!

The card states to « play the card anytime to take out one cube of a city ». Certain cards say to play them as an action or discard the card. Do you play the Lima card and discard it right after or you play it and keep it to use it again another time?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation of the card was that you discard the card to remove 1 plague cube from your current city, but it is a "non-action" that can be done any time you could play an event card (including outside your turn).

For instance, if a plague cube appears in your city when it's not your turn, you could use the card before starting your turn to avoid getting exposure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Taylor
Scotland
Old Woking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thescorpionx wrote:
Hello! I jave a question concerning the research card of Lima. I have the french version so excuse the traduction!!

The card states to « play the card anytime to take out one cube of a city ». Certain cards say to play them as an action or discard the card. Do you play the Lima card and discard it right after or you play it and keep it to use it again another time?!

I think play means discard (it would be pretty overpowered if that was not the case)

I do think you can use it at any point though like an event.

Late game spoilers(ish)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Certain other cards would 100% be broken if that was not the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Lozano
France
Saint-Etienne
flag msg tools
Trying to find time to paint...
badge
...but translating all day long !
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we played it : if there is no specific indication that it use an action, nor that it takes place during your turn, so you can play it like a rationned or unrationned event : anytime !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ruhland
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
When my friend and I played through this weekend we rules that the scratch off city cards with a person (like the herbalist) didn't take an action but were not play any time, they had to be played on your turn.
We were able to use the last one you get to great effect by using it, then having the next person pick it up and use it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
You treat it as an Event. You may play it at any time (provided you're not in the middle of another action), and it doesn't cost an action. Just discard it and remove one cube from your city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siems
msg tools
I think the companion cards roughly fall into 2 groups:

1) A powerful one time play effect (like Lima). We treat these cards identical to Rationed and Unrationed events - you can play them instantly at any time (during anyone's turn, and even between infection draws), after which the card goes into the blue discard pile.

2) In-hand modifier effects. There are also companion cards that specifically mention the card modifying a different action if this card is in-hand. "Do [X Action] for one fewer cube if this card is in your hand" as an example. These cards we treat like a passive continuous effect, you don't need to discard the card to get its bonus (unless otherwise specified. Some of the cards get a little wordy).

I think this is right because it roughly mirrors how I remember city card item upgrade stickers working in Season 1. There were both passive effects and one time effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.