Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chad dugas
United States
nevada city
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a question about the Ivits faction. If I have already formed a Federation of 7 power level (example: 1 Planetary Institute and 4 Mines) could I then add say one Trading Station and one Academy (worth 5 Power Level) and then simply upgrade two of the Mines from my original Federation to make a new total Power Level of 14?

In other words do all of the Power Level points for my new Federation have to come exclusively from new buildings?

Thanks!
-Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chaddugas wrote:
I have a question about the Ivits faction. If I have already formed a Federation of 7 power level (example: 1 Planetary Institute and 4 Mines) could I then add say one Trading Station and one Academy (worth 5 Power Level) and then simply upgrade two of the Mines from my original Federation to make a new total Power Level of 14?

In other words do all of the Power Level points for my new Federation have to come exclusively from new buildings?

They don't. You just need 14 power points. You've got yourself a federation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddugas wrote:

Thanks!
-Chad

Actually thats pretty much how it works. Adding an academy + 1 trade station (+5 power, then at 12 total) and then upgrading 2 mines to trade stations (+2 power(from 2 for mines to 4 for trade stations)) will net you 14 power of buildings, thus allowing you to form your 2nd federation with another action.

edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boris p
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Or take the tec-tile "PI&A 4power" at the end to gain up to 3 power and may found a new federation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
You just sum up the power of all buildings in the expanded federation. There is no memory of which buildings belonged to the previous federation, or which power these buildings had.

In your example (PI + 4 mines) you could even form the next federation without a single additional planet by upgrading it to PI + AC + 3 TS and taking the "PI/AC are worth 4 power" tech tile. (Note: this is theoretical, I would not recommend to actually do this. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the things that makes Ivits, in my opinion, exceptionally easy to play and do well with. You never have to worry about power distribution of your buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
I have to disagree with Robert's example. According to the English language rules:

Quote:
After you have formed a federation, to take the “Form a Federation” action again, you must connect planets to that federation instead of forming a new federation.

(emphasis mine)

In Robert's (not recommended) example, no new planets were added, therefore a new federation cannot be formed. In a similar vein, if you hold off forming a federation until let's say round 6 because of the federation bonus, you'd better not have that string of 28 points worth of buildings/space stations all connected because with the first Form a Federation action, you'll have created a giant 28-point federation with no way of getting a second federation token.

If it's not the case that a new planet must be added then it needs to be added to the errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
OedipussyRex wrote:
I have to disagree with Robert's example. According to the English language rules:

Quote:
After you have formed a federation, to take the “Form a Federation” action again, you must connect planets to that federation instead of forming a new federation.

(emphasis mine)

In Robert's (not recommended) example, no new planets were added, therefore a new federation cannot be formed. In a similar vein, if you hold off forming a federation until let's say round 6 because of the federation bonus, you'd better not have that string of 28 points worth of buildings/space stations all connected because with the first Form a Federation action, you'll have created a giant 28-point federation with no way of getting a second federation token.

If it's not the case that a new planet must be added then it needs to be added to the errata.

I can see where you're coming from, but this issue has been discussed in a few other threads. While there has not been an official statement made by the designers, playtesters of the game have stated that this is the intention (that only the total power of the connected planets matters, regardless of when they were connected).
Ivits form federation action clarification
Ivits space station + round booster for range
Ivits ability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitcharf wrote:
OedipussyRex wrote:

Quote:

(emphasis mine)

I can see where you're coming from, but this issue has been discussed in a few other threads. While there has not been an official statement made by the designers, playtesters of the game have stated that this is the intention (that only the total power of the connected planets matters, regardless of when they were connected).
Ivits form federation action clarification
Ivits space station + round booster for range
Ivits ability

Correct. The emphasis should really be on instead, and the wording is perhaps unfortunate, so I can see how it could be misinterpreted. The intent is that any new structures have to be added to the pre-existing federation as opposed to forming a new, separate federation as with the other factions. The intent isn’t that a planet must be added in order to form a federation. In fact, I could take OedipussyRex’s interpretation one step further and say that you actually have to add at least two new planets in order to form a federation since the wording he’s emphasizing suggests that planets must be added, but again, that isn’t the intent.

In the example of having 28 power worth of structures, a player would have to take the form a federation action 4 times in order to take advantage of gaining all 4 federation tokens for which he qualifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OedipussyRex wrote:

Quote:

(emphasis mine)

Thanks for finding this. This is indeed something that should be added to the FAQ of the english rules and i will suggest doing that to Frank.

As others have already said, the intent of the rules (and the text of the original german rules) includes no provision that a new planet has to be added for it to count as a new federation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad dugas
United States
nevada city
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a follow-up question, am I correct in assuming that it is OK for the Ivits to chain two Space station together over two turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chaddugas wrote:
As a follow-up question, am I correct in assuming that it is OK for the Ivits to chain two Space station together over two turns?

A lot of people confuse the term turns. Rounds better describe the 6 rounds of the game and turns or actions are what you take during each round. The Space Station has one use per round. You can chain them together, and use a space station as a starting point for navigation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.