Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ross
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We’re playing for the first time and struggling with the garthim rules.
Do the garthim have their own WP? What D(x) is their brawn? Are they meant to all start in the garthim nest? Who rolls for the garthim when the gelflings land on their space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bland Garrett
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Answers from River Horse:

The Garthim all start in the Nest.

The Garthim use D4 for Speed and D12 for Brawn. Anyone can roll for the Garthim, but it should be an opponent. If the Garthim is traveling with a Skeksis, that player should roll. If not, then it should be the Skeksis that sent the Garthim or the Emperor Skeksis at the time of the attack.

The Garthim have only 1 WP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.C. Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine if you got this game back in the 80s, when the movie was out, before the internet. Nobody would know what to do with these guys.

Pretty lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Delgado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the Dark Crystal Errata V.1 (found here)

Quote:
Garthim

Garthim have Brawn D12, WP 1.

Note that they never need Wit.

The Garthim that do not start the game on the board (as shown on page 7) are kept to one side and it is assumed they are in the Garthim Nest, ready to move out if a Minion card allows you to do so.

This doesn't mean they all start in the nest since one is shown on page 7. Page 6 of the rules explains:

Quote:
"Place the four characters and four Garthim soldiers on their starting positions, as shown in the picture opposite..."

The picture opposite, which is on page 7, only shows one Garthim soldier. Thus, the need for the Errata.

As the Errata explains the Garthim soldiers that are not on the board are "assumed they are in the Garthim Nest". Thus, 1 is on the board as pictured and the remaining 3 start in the nest (or on the side of the board indicating they are in the nest).

Hope that bring some extra clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan E
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Arythea
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinMask wrote:
Imagine if you got this game back in the 80s, when the movie was out, before the internet. Nobody would know what to do with these guys.

Pretty lame.

In the 80's people actually knew how to write well-structured rulebooks with no inconsistencies whistle.

If the games have gotten much better over the years, it is definitely not the case for rulebooks. It seems everyone has to watch video tutorials now to play a game. The internet hasn't just brought blessings, instead with the widespread availability of videos either people have become more auditory learners or the people writing the rulebooks are not exercising as much care; or maybe it is a combination of both.

Personally, I love reading rulebooks, I learn games better that way.
I can't think of that many games in my collection for which I never needed to look up rules errata or clarifications on forums. The only ones that come to mind are 7th Continent, Scythe, Mistfall (the updated rulebook), and Aeon's End.

People should get awards for writing good rulebooks, since it is so rare now.

Stan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Miller
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Go back to the '70s Stan, you wanna talk 'organized', the SPI games, and later Star Fleet Battles loved the outline format. Rule 12 covered 'tanks', for instance, and 12.1, 12.2, 12.25 covered all things Tank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan E
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Arythea
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, those are my favorite types of rulebooks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.