Andrew B C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How similar/different is this game to Civilization (Avalon Hill)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

They both have the word "civilization" in the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jepsen Preusse
Denmark
Copenhagen S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
That's good enough for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Erikson
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are more details on the GMT site.
Game appears a bit more abstract, with wooden cubes and shorter game length.

The cubes and abstract simple art map with angular region borders was a disappointment for me.

Map looks like color 1970s graphic design style.

A realistic map or ancient hand drawn style would have been more attractive to me.

There was a also a great opportunity for nice counter art here..I am very burnt out on cubes.

I removed my P500 pre-order months ago on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Erikson
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Great gameplay is not enough for me anymore

great art
Real board - not paper map
Quality standard sized card - not cheap cards or mini/undersized cards
Nice counters or blocks with stickers - not cubes or cheap small minis

I am also willing to pay a premium price for those features.

Id rather pay $100+ for a fantastic game than $65ea for few abstract games with cubes that play well with a pasted theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shawn720 wrote:
There are more details on the GMT site.
Game appears a bit more abstract, with wooden cubes and shorter game length.

The cubes and abstract simple art map with angular region borders was a disappointment for me.

Map looks like color 1970s graphic design style.

A realistic map or ancient hand drawn style would have been more attractive to me.

There was a also a great opportunity for nice counter art here..I am very burnt out on cubes.

Shawn720 wrote:
Great gameplay is not enough for me anymore

great art
Real board - not paper map
Quality standard sized card - not cheap cards or mini/undersized cards
Nice counters or blocks with stickers - not cubes or cheap small minis

I am also willing to pay a premium price for those features.

Id rather pay $100+ for a fantastic game than $65ea for few abstract games with cubes that play well with a pasted theme

Doesn't appear that you actually read GMT's product page.

There are no cubes. Player pieces are round wooden discs (counters could be cool, though, if applicable to game play). The near-final playtest map that's linked on the page isn't a simple art map, doesn't not have angular region borders, and doesn't look like 1970s graphic design. I think it's fair, in fact, to describe it as "a realistic map or ancient hand drawn style," just as you were hoping it would be. Furthermore, the 17 x 44 map will be a mounted game board, not paper.

As of now, you can still pay $59 for a fantastic game with a well-integrated theme while getting all the features you thought not part of this product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Schachter
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Greetings,

Nate, thanks for the clarification regarding game components.

The designers and I insisted on a mounted map, which should be very nice indeed considering GMT's manufacturing standards. We like the current map graphics which have gotten good positive responses wherever its been presented in full size. Such perceptions are subjective and, well, everyone has an opinion. Hopefully, the map for ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS OF THE INNER SEA, will please most gamers.

The next opportunity to get gamer feedback will be at a local game convention at the Mesa, AZ. Convention Center this coming weekend. I'll be doing demos/play-tests Saturday, 2/10/18 throughout the day. Here's the link, if interested: https://arizonagamefair18.sched.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_so...

As to other graphics, the cards provide a host of opportunities. If you check the InsideGMT articles on the game; they should give a sense of what could be portrayed... Rachel Billingsley has done a grand job picking a variety of illustrations for the articles... many of which, in my opinion, are worthy of inclusion in the published game.

If anyone reading this has graphic suggestions for the cards and other game material, please convey them.

Thanks for your interest in ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS OF THE INNERS SEA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my reading, the different cultures have unique strengths and weaknesses. In the Avalon Hill game those cultural differences were more abstracted by how you advanced along the AST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Schachter
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Lou,

You are correct. Each Civilization of ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS OF THE INNER SEA has its own attributes.

A series of ten brief pieces within InsideGMT describes each: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-624-ancient-civilizations-of-the-i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E.
msg tools
Royal College of Arts and Athletic perfection
badge
Inventor of Knowledge Pills
mbmbmbmbmb
Shawn720 wrote:

Tastes differ...

I am very burnt out on cardboard counters (and paper maps).

I would definitely not buy this if it used cardboard counters as main playing pieces.

What irritates me is the strange and inconsistent naming of areas (a GMT disease) on the near final map preview. Latinized it seems, mixed with some barbaric tongue. "ThessalIA", "MacedonIA", "Gallia", etc. would be somewhat more thematic and still intelligible for those barbarians that only speak their native tongue.

Do the barbarians really spell it "Baeleres"? Well, I guess there will be some erratum for that (poor quality control - another GMT disease).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AF Davis
msg tools
I imagine most barbarians did not spell at all, and those who did, probably did not use our alphabet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.