5 Posts

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Getting rekt! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
So yesterday I bought this game and we played 3 times, every time on easy setting and my friend and I got totally slaughtered. We're both experienced players who won with max epidemic cards in original pandemic. On reign of Cthulhu we had awakened 4 out of 7 old ones in merely 2 turns!! (1 each). Then you see people on forums saying this game is "too easy"?? Ok we do love a challenge but it kinda seems a little bit to random if you can lose a game so fast even if you do everything right.

One of the main problems is that we run out of cultists. Like in the game where 4 old ones were awaken after 2 turns. For every turn, 3 of them spawned, that meant for EVERY turn we had to kill at least 3 just to survive. That meant we had to had to do max 1 move location, so we either had to be standing on a location with 3 cultists or have one next to us, or the game would be lost....

We read the rules plenty of times and checked videos, we¨re playing by the rules. Any advice??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vedrana B
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that this game doesn't play well with just 2 players as you don't have hand large enough to seal all the gates. Whenever I played with just 2 players (or just 2 investigators if I play solo) I lost either because we ran out of cultists or because we ran out of cards to draw. I actually can't remember if I ever won. Playing with 3 players makes the game winnable, and doesn't remove any of the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board_Dan wrote:
Then you see people on forums saying this game is "too easy"?? Ok we do love a challenge but it kinda seems a little bit to random if you can lose a game so fast even if you do everything right.

It's not that it's random, it's that unlike regular Pandemic it snowballs. Every "Outbreak" is in fact an early Epidemic, as far as your Infection rate is concerned. You can only afford two Great Old Ones *ever* to awake from shoggoths or cultists otherwise you will awake Cthulhu on one of your Epidemics (Evil Rises, whatever) so you won't get access to your full player cards deck. And each Great Old One that awakes makes your game more difficult.

So unlike Pandemic you can't ignore hot spots to bank in a few Outbreaks. So it's imperative you use the buses to get around. Also you're always better off leaving single cultists on multiple locations than more than one cultists in less locations, because closing a portal will remove one per location in that color (and you can't Eradicate them so that portal closing cultist removal is absolutely key to your success).

Identify which character(s) in your group can go insane. Some of them actually benefit from it. You want them to do all the risky spell slinging, shoggoth fighting and portal teleportation.

I think people think this game is easier than Pandemic because in Pandemic you can see the linear progression of how bad things are by looking at cube supply or number of Outbreaks or cards remaining in player deck. In this one, if you can see trouble on the board, you're already losing because the trouble snowballs. Whereas when you win, it seemed like a cakewalk the whole way because no G.O.O. awakened from shoggoths and cultists and the board was mostly clear most of the time. But if you'd screwed up one turn, ALL the bad things would have happened and triggered more bad things. So it might be that the victory you got was actually very close to a defeat, but you wouldn't notice from the final boardstate, only that if things had gone slightly awry the state would have gone from all clear to utter catastrophe in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Board_Dan wrote:
Then you see people on forums saying this game is "too easy"?? Ok we do love a challenge but it kinda seems a little bit to random if you can lose a game so fast even if you do everything right.

It's not that it's random, it's that unlike regular Pandemic it snowballs. Every "Outbreak" is in fact an early Epidemic, as far as your Infection rate is concerned. You can only afford two Great Old Ones *ever* to awake from shoggoths or cultists otherwise you will awake Cthulhu on one of your Epidemics (Evil Rises, whatever) so you won't get access to your full player cards deck. And each Great Old One that awakes makes your game more difficult.

So unlike Pandemic you can't ignore hot spots to bank in a few Outbreaks. So it's imperative you use the buses to get around. Also you're always better off leaving single cultists on multiple locations than more than one cultists in less locations, because closing a portal will remove one per location in that color (and you can't Eradicate them so that portal closing cultist removal is absolutely key to your success).

Identify which character(s) in your group can go insane. Some of them actually benefit from it. You want them to do all the risky spell slinging, shoggoth fighting and portal teleportation.

I think people think this game is easier than Pandemic because in Pandemic you can see the linear progression of how bad things are by looking at cube supply or number of Outbreaks or cards remaining in player deck. In this one, if you can see trouble on the board, you're already losing because the trouble snowballs. Whereas when you win, it seemed like a cakewalk the whole way because no G.O.O. awakened from shoggoths and cultists and the board was mostly clear most of the time. But if you'd screwed up one turn, ALL the bad things would have happened and triggered more bad things. So it might be that the victory you got was actually very close to a defeat, but you wouldn't notice from the final boardstate, only that if things had gone slightly awry the state would have gone from all clear to utter catastrophe in a heartbeat.

Couldn’t have put it better Jean-Philippe! You’re spot-on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
argentetbury wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Board_Dan wrote:

Couldn’t have put it better Jean-Philippe! You’re spot-on!

I agree. We've come to learn that even with 8-9 cultists in the Supply, you're not safe from the snowballing effect. I'd say that about 4 out of 5 times in our early experience with the game, we were defeated because we didn't manage the Cultist supply adequately to accommodate the cascading impact described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.