Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I would like to understand better this part of the game, that sometimes has been mentioned as "legacy-esque".

I know Heroes have a starting hand/deck of cards (I tought it was fixed but, if I understood correctly, it's not! Aside probably some unique cards wich help diverify heroes I think, but if I'm assuming wrong please correct me) and with every completed mission they unlock gears and tactics to increase/change their hand/deck: what happens at the end of the operation?

Are the unlocked cards put back in the operation box or do they stay available for other games?

Because, if they stay available, the next time I'm playing that ops I won't unlock anything (even though I would increase my hand/deck if that is what happens).

At the start of the round Heroes have to play a tactics card.
At the end of the round that card is exhausted.

What happens if I start a round without a ready tacics card to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How it works currently is that heroes start with 2 loadouts (a combination of 3-5 tactics and gear). One loadout is unique to that hero and can only be used by that hero, while the other is generic. More loadouts will be unlocked throughout various operations, but not all missions or operations will have new loadouts, some may offer other bonuses instead.

Once unlocked those loadouts can be used in any mission, any operation, any expansion; though some people may want to limit themselves the first time through an operation and then play through the harder mode with a more impressive loadout.

If you have no ready Tactics at the start of your turn, then you don’t get to play a Tactic and might want to consider a stance that refreshes them. Not having Tactics to use would put you at a pretty big disadvantage!

Hope that helps :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that helped, now I know how it works

Just to understand better:

1. If you have tactics card at the start of your turn, you HAVE TO play it.
Is this correct?

2. Unlocked loadouts are generic? Every hero can use it?
It seems they are also more powerful, so starting a mission with one could be an "unfair" advantage against the default chosen difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Irish86 wrote:
Yes, that helped, now I know how it works

Just to understand better:

1. If you have tactics card at the start of your turn, you HAVE TO play it.
Is this correct?

2. Unlocked loadouts are generic? Every hero can use it?
It seems they are also more powerful, so starting a mission with one could be an "unfair" advantage against the default chosen difficulty.

1. Correct. If you have a Tactic you must play it, if you don't the only penalty is not getting to play a Tactic that turn.

2. Haha. It won't be unfair. The scenarios will be designed with some escalation of difficulty in mind to compensate for increased Loadout options, at least within the core campaign. All Loadouts should be around the same power level, though the more exciting weapons like giant Machine Guns and Rocket Launchers are not starting gear just because it is far more exciting to discover them through play.

One of the advantages of having multiple cards in a Loadout is that you can shift around the power level of individual cards in a pack. You get a big awesome weapon? The other cards in the Loadout will be more support oriented and less overtly powerful. Sometime they might even come with a drawback! Thats the price you pay for lugging a big gun through the jungle ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Samuel Bailey wrote:
How it works currently is that heroes start with 2 loadouts (a combination of 3-5 tactics and gear). One loadout is unique to that hero and can only be used by that hero, while the other is generic. More loadouts will be unlocked throughout various operations, but not all missions or operations will have new loadouts, some may offer other bonuses instead.

Once unlocked those loadouts can be used in any mission, any operation, any expansion; though some people may want to limit themselves the first time through an operation and then play through the harder mode with a more impressive loadout.

If you have no ready Tactics at the start of your turn, then you don’t get to play a Tactic and might want to consider a stance that refreshes them. Not having Tactics to use would put you at a pretty big disadvantage!

Hope that helps :-)

If i understand correctly,after a couple scenario completed, a character will have a couple of loadout unlocked(max 4) each containing 3-5 cards that can be used by that character during the next scenario. will i be able to pick all those loadout and choose beetween all those cards during the next game or i will have to choose 1-2 loadout to use and the other loadout are benched? What i want to know is during a single game what is approximately the maximum number of gear and tactics cards a single character can have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Loadouts that aren't used by heroes are available to all other heroes to use(expect for the 1 starting Loadout each hero has that is specific to that hero). When you pick a Loadout you take everything in it, so you can't pick and choose one card from this Loadout and this other from another Loadout. You have to take the whole thing.

The maximum number of Gear/Tactics a single hero could have in total would be around 15, depending on which Loadouts they take. The distribution between Gear and Tactic can vary, since some Loadouts could be all Gear, while others could be all Tactics. So you can really start customizing what your Hero has as you unlock more Loadouts.

My goal is to give experienced players lots of options and interesting choices about what they take on a mission, without overloading new players to the game with all this stuff when they are learning the game. This I think is the best thing about Legacy-type games. Being able to have complex stuff be introduced over time without overwhelming players. That is the aspect of Legacy we are attempting to capture here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.