Hide
6 Posts

Seize the Bean» Forums » General

Subject: A question on being overrun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Winyard
msg tools
So I watched the Slickerdrips play through a few days ago and at one point towards the end he appears to get overrun by his deck of visitors. Admittedly I need to watch the video again but I just wanted to ask more experienced gamers/pre-release rulebook readers whether this seems like an issue to you? The game seemed like it may be a bit broken in terms of ending up with a bunch of customers that you can't feed thus losing a tonne of victory points. It might have just been the language he was using, he seemed to be a bit, 'sometimes it happens but you just gotta try and keep things under control's. Just sseemed to me that in his playthrough it was a bit of a runaway problem. Hope this makes sense, I'm pretty tired atm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did it sound like anything than poor planning on his part?
I'm totally in line with losing a ton of VP and getting annihilated because of poor planning.
Reminds me of when someone finished a game of Seasons with only 2 points surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dilkROM
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PopMelon wrote:
So I watched the Slickerdrips play through a few days ago and at one point towards the end he appears to get overrun by his deck of visitors. Admittedly I need to watch the video again but I just wanted to ask more experienced gamers/pre-release rulebook readers whether this seems like an issue to you? The game seemed like it may be a bit broken in terms of ending up with a bunch of customers that you can't feed thus losing a tonne of victory points. It might have just been the language he was using, he seemed to be a bit, 'sometimes it happens but you just gotta try and keep things under control's. Just sseemed to me that in his playthrough it was a bit of a runaway problem. Hope this makes sense, I'm pretty tired atm.

This is a very interesting observation and reaction. We've designed the game specifically so that this can happen. We love the idea that a few things can go wrong, among them being that you get too popular and haven't managed your resources well, and thus get stuck with bad reviews.

However, what makes this most interesting is that we've other people play-testing preview copies who are having the opposite experience, citing back to us that it's a bit too easy to always serve their own line. Very interesting mix of play-test feedback, for sure!

If you'd be interested to give it a try for yourself you can access the print and play by backing our campaign at any level or by signing up for play-testing at http://playtest.qualitybeast.com. We've got a demo mod on Tabletop Simulator that we are releasing very soon and we're also just getting started with a Tabletopia setup too.

Anyways, hope this info helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I played for the first time tonight and we had no problems serving our lines - the orange? people if they come out in a timely manner can provide a ton of goods if we understood that ability and played it correctly (activate ALL your product icons).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dilkROM
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
My son and I played for the first time tonight and we had no problems serving our lines - the orange? people if they come out in a timely manner can provide a ton of goods if we understood that ability and played it correctly (activate ALL your product icons).

The orange folks are Cyclists, but it sounds like you've made the same misunderstanding that a few others have made (we can blame the rough draft rulebook!). For them, the regular ability lets you activate the Take a Product action OR active the icons only next to it (in its row). Many people think this means all of the icons on their product cards. There is confusion over the term "Product Action". This is only the "Take a Product Card" action and not the "Resource Actions" which are on the left side. The more powerful version of this ability is to do both, take a card and activate the icons.

Heads up here though: after a lot of feedback and further testing we are looking to actually modify a few rules and abilities. We've found that if resources appear on the right side (Upgrade Cards) they destroy the tension setup between improving ones shop and gathering resources. We also find that the Cyclist and Start Upper abilities may be slightly too powerful in that they not only activate a growing number of icons but they allow you to get cards too. We're pushing hard to release a new print and play with an updated (and much better edited rulebook) to fix these things soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering That makes more sense and makes it similar to the other set of cards that allow you to activate the upgrade row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.