Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Revised edition with solo rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Speedy Petey
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you think FFG will release a new revised edition with built in solo rules from the get go?

I really want to experience Runebound as a solo experience, but feel reluctant to the current solution for two reasons:

1. Having to buy the base game and a quite expensive expansion only to be able to play the game solo.

2. The solo experience might not be as seamless and well executed as it would have been if it was an integral part game initially.

I would prefer to wait for a revised edition, but I guess I could take the plunge if FFG will not release a revised edition within a near future and the solo variant really is seamlessly and well-integrated to the game play.

Do you think the solo game play would be better if it had been implemented initially?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
SpeedyPetey wrote:
Do you think FFG will release a new revised edition with built in solo rules from the get go?

No.

Is there some reason to think that they would? Have they done this for other games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speedy Petey
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe not the exact same scenario (as there hasn't been a lot of complaints about the new solo rules), but they did release a revised edition for Dungeonquest with revised combat rules as a lot people had complained about those rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Front
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you see this expansion ?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/225275/runeboun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
inzkulozik wrote:

Yes that's the "quite expensive expansion" he referred to in #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speedy Petey
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I did see the expansion, but my concern was regarding to have to buy an expansion to play the solo and if the solo option is well implemented when it wasn’t an integrated part of the game when it was designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems quite expensive but not only are you buying some more cardboard circles and paper, but you are paying for the time and design they had to put in to make the AI work for each enemy class. And for them to rewrite some of the scenarios. I think it's a reasonable price for this that they did, because it does work well and is quite challenging solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
You can very well solo the game even with the core game only, you just need to resolve your enemies decision but it's not that difficult. I think there's even a FAQ about it saying that even if the core set doesn't officially support solo, there's no reason not to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpeedyPetey wrote:
Yes, I did see the expansion, but my concern was regarding to have to buy an expansion to play the solo and if the solo option is well implemented when it wasn’t an integrated part of the game when it was designed.

Someone created solo combat sheets last year for use with the base game, they're based on the ones that come in the expansion.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/151456/runebound-3rd-solo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see it happening. Just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speedy Petey
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
You can very well solo the game even with the core game only, you just need to resolve your enemies decision but it's not that difficult. I think there's even a FAQ about it saying that even if the core set doesn't officially support solo, there's no reason not to play it.

Thanks for your input. I will buy the base game and try out the sheets that Steve S mentions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.