Subject: Cragheart - Exploding punch and no obstacle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is a spoiler but it's regarding the lvl 2 Cragheart card called Explosive Punch

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Is it possible to use exploding punch as a normal Attack 4, if there are no obstacles next to you or you don't wish to destroy an obstacle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Scholz
Germany
Gütersloh
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is the card I think it is (Destroy adjacent obstacle then perform attack on every enemy adjacent to that obstacle) then no.
Since technically you do not target enemies directly but the obstacle you can not use it as an direct attack.
The attack part of the ability is dependent on the destroyed obstacle so it does not make sense without it.
If it's a different card ignore everything I have said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the way you do it line by line you could ignore the first part, and just do the attack line as a basic attack 4 (which is not a great use for a burn card but if you have nothing else it's at least an option you have when there are no obstacles). However as the text underneath the attack is linked to the destroyed obstacle I wasn't sure if that could be ignored if no obstacle was destroyed

Here's the card:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Scholz
Germany
Gütersloh
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like to argue with font size and such underlining that the Attack part is really dependent on the first line but the layout doesn't really support it. On the contrary the spacing between the first and second line would even suggest they are independent.

However since you can't evaluate target specification of the attack in any meaningful way if you skip the first line It seems obvious to me that you can't use the attack.

But I may be wrong. Maybe you can skip the first line and the addition to the attack and use it as an Attack 4. It wouldn't feel right to me but I can't really come up with really good examples why it is not allowed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you did not destroy an obstacle, then there are no valid targets for the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nom_ wrote:
If you did not destroy an obstacle, then there are no valid targets for the attack.

exactly. The line below the attack specifies who the attack targets, and if there is no obstacle destroyed, then there are no enemies adjacent to the destroyed obstacle.

I do believe that you could, however, destroy an adjacent obstacle and then choose not to do the attack. In which case you would still get the XP and generate the element

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka Muniozguren
Spain
Artziniega
flag msg tools
MiniMoncho Remoloncho + Circenilla
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, it would make sense that with the "power" with which you destroy the obstacle you could attack an enemy instead.

A normal attack does not have a "target 1" (printed or specified) and it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Target 1 is implied, but it seems like with cards like this, the targeting overrides that default. I've been playing it that if you don't destroy an obstacle, you don't have any targets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
No. The attack line will have no valid targets if you didn't use the rest of the ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.