8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Can I upload my custom playmat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel​ Venn
Cambodia
flag msg tools
So I wanna upload a playmat I made for LotR Card Game but BGG is pretty strict on terms and conditions, red writing everywhere!! So, I have used pics off the internet, artwork of LotR found on Google - cropped it and resized it to fit the playmat. Now I wanna know, am I alright to upload the playmat for people to look at and rate? Or will I get FBI knocking at my door for piracy? Cheers ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are playmats already listed for other games by members (like yourself) of BGG. My advice is do not use any copyright artwork.

For example Priests of Ra player mat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freedannyv wrote:
I have used pics off the internet, artwork of LotR found on Google

No! - You don't own the copyright to any of this work, and are just stealing it.

Do that and print a copy out for yourself at home, and no-one will care. Publish it here or elsewhere on the internet, and they rightly will care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
freedannyv wrote:

No! - You don't own the copyright to any of this work, and are just stealing it. Do that and print a copy out for yourself at home, and no-one will care. Publish it here or elsewhere on the internet, and they rightly will care.

The above advice is correct. Avoid copyrighted work. Fortunately, alternatives exist. You can use art that is in the public domain or released under a creative commons license (Google images has filters for this).

Finally, if your heart is set on a particular piece of copyrighted art, contact the artist and ask permission to use it non-commercially; they may say no, but at least you asked. If they say yes, a discrete artist credit on the piece is usually a welcome addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel​ Venn
Cambodia
flag msg tools
Kelanen wrote:
freedannyv wrote:

No! - You don't own the copyright to any of this work, and are just stealing it.

I wouldn't call it stealing when it has been published online to be viewed by the world and has links to dozens of sites. I wouldn't profit from sharing the mat. And I am not a thief thank you.

The reason that I'm asking is because I don't want any sort of trouble, and there is a way to be helpful without sounding like an ass. Perhaps you aren't familiar...?

Regardless, thanks for your answer. I hope that me reading it doesn't constitute as stealing your words... kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
freedannyv wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
freedannyv wrote:

I wouldn't call it stealing when it has been published online to be viewed by the world and has links to dozens of sites. I wouldn't profit from sharing the mat. And I am not a thief thank you.

The reason that I'm asking is because I don't want any sort of trouble, and there is a way to be helpful without sounding like an ass. Perhaps you aren't familiar...?

Regardless, thanks for your answer. I hope that me reading it doesn't constitute as stealing your words... kiss
Hi Daniel,
Kelanen is correct, I'm afraid. Images posted to the internet still have copyright attached to them. In most cases someone owns the rights to those images. As ironregime said, there are images available on the internet that are public domain or Creative Commons licensed, but most are not. If you have used only pubic domain or Creative Commons images, you should be fine (and I suggest that you make a statement to that effect if you do upload your playmat). But if the images that you have used are not public domain or creative commons licensed, then the copyright is held by someone, and using those images without permission is theft from a legal standpoint. Google "internet image copyright" if you want to find out more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel​ Venn
Cambodia
flag msg tools
Cringing Dragon wrote:
freedannyv wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
freedannyv wrote:

Hi Daniel,
Kelanen is correct, I'm afraid. Images posted to the internet still have copyright attached to them. In most cases someone owns the rights to those images. As ironregime said, there are images available on the internet that are public domain or Creative Commons licensed, but most are not. If you have used only pubic domain or Creative Commons images, you should be fine (and I suggest that you make a statement to that effect if you do upload your playmat). But if the images that you have used are not public domain or creative commons licensed, then the copyright is held by someone, and using those images without permission is theft from a legal standpoint. Google "internet image copyright" if you want to find out more.

Thank you Cringing Dragon. I understand fully. I just took it personally being called a thief, which I shouldn't have. Thank you everyone for your replies. I've learned something new today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
and I just noticed my typo. It's probably best if you don't use pubic domain images, either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.