Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today we’re talking Android Netrunner. And let me keep your expectations low, we are talking about it from a quite pedestrian point of view. Zero plays on the competitive scene. This is just another card game for me people, like Seasons or Imperial Settlers. Got to make that disclaimer before some local game store tournament winner slaughters me for my incompetence.

Now that that’s out of the way, let me just start by saying, I've never been in the CCG scene, and don't really ever want to be. I got Netrunner because I could pick my packs if I wanted to, and could just stop at the base game if I wanted to as well. This was one of my first 15 purchases and everything about it seemed amazing to me.

So here’s where the story begins. It’s gonna start out a boardgamer sob story, but it’s going get better so stick with me. When I first got this one me and the wife probably put down about 10-15 games with the base set. Unfortunately I regularly beat her because this is a challenging game to teach someone. You kind of need to read the rule book and flesh out the particulars for yourself. Once again, my wife does not read rule books. Couple of points I want to make about this though. One mistake I made was she only played the runner. This is one where you need to swap sides every game until you get really familiar with it. I could get by because I was reading all about this game as I was intrigued with just how much depth there was in the deckbuilding and strategies. By my wife only playing the runner she got really frustrated and never really grew because she had no idea what I was doing as the Corporation. This led to this game just sitting on the shelf for two years and some change, until about a week ago.

Now we have both played A LOT more games since then. Everyone knows it becomes easier and easier to pick up mechanisms with more games played. And I’m sure my teaching abilities have grown some since then. So anyways, I've bought one big box expansion, 4 small box expansions, and the two player playmat since then. So I'm in the hole about 120 bucks on this one. Oh, and since we played two games last week… I bought another deluxe expansion. I Knowwwwwww. You don’t have to tell me, I have a problem. But listen, here is the thing. I know this game is great, and I can’t wait to build my decks.

Anyways, this time around my wife is grasping the game much better, and we are basically playing weekly at this point. I really think we have a chance to make this one work. Netrunner is one of those games that every time I look at my shelf I'm like, "I want to play this game so bad." I really enjoy Netrunner, but I want some competition. I deal with computers for a living so the theme is great, and the mechanics are in sync with the theme. The aspect of taking chances as the runner, and bluffing as the Corporation adds some real adrenaline rushes to an already great resource management card game. That being said I have enough cards to do some great deckbuilding for the casual play I'm going to do. And I've made a command decision to stop buying any more stuff for this one until I verify this is going to be a staple of the household. (Stay strong man... stay strong)

But there is hope, remember those two kids that I produced from my loins several years ago? They are coming to age, and if my wife and I are unable to make this one work, I have a back up plan. (Evil Laugh) My son is already playing Pokemon, unfortunately with me. I think it is a mediocre collectible card game, but it is solid for his age and he likes the theme. So I'm trying to be a good dad and make sacrifices; you know, play games they want to play too. The old being a parent thing. But, and I mean this “but” very passionately, I'm hoping this Pokemon playing will pay off and I can upgrade this guy to Android Netrunner one day. We shall see, but that is why Android Netrunner is on the shelf, and I hope in the future I can be at about 75-100 plays with this one.

Whelp, what do you think of Netrunner? Better yet, tell me a game where you have real hopes it works out, and you’ve put some serious money into the game, but have yet to get the plays and experience you know it can offer?

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Netrunner. I've started going to a local game night to get it played.

I also podcast about it.
http://rattleboxgames.com/category/podcast/install-from-heap...

But I totally know where you're coming from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My son played pokemon at 6, dice master at 7, destiny and Duel Masters at 8 and at 9 we played our first Net runner and ... I think it’s still too hard. It went ok but the theme is too far from what he knows to grasp his imagination. 12?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not giving me hope si MOn. LOL. He's only 7. Sounds like I got 5 years more until my son is ready to go. Or I can just start making him watch a ton of future dystopian steam punk videos to get him hooked on the theme. I think I will once again have to be a good parent and not do that, so I guess I'll have to make it work with the wife...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bendan,
I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP.

As far as offspring are concerned...my son started with Pokemon back when it was new. Playing with me. It had strategy, combos, deck building. It became the game that started it all for him. There wasn't a game he didn't enjoy playing with me as he grew up. I grew my collection to a couple thousand games and he and I played most of them happily.

He is now 26, moved away from home and is getting married next month. I cherish those days playing games with him and now my daughter who lives closer to home and is 24 has started to find games intriguing.

Keep playing with your spouse but some real pleasure can be had from gaming with your kids over the next few decades Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,
Some of my statements are a bit tongue and cheek or bit hyperbole to my real fillings. This section was just that. I think that Pokemon is a mediocre game for me, but is perfect level of strategy for my 7 year old. So I'm happy to play with him because I get to spend time with him and see how he thinks and solves problems. But I do not really enjoy Pokemon that much. We also play a plethora of other games that are age appropriate for him. I am merely saying that I look forward to when they get a bit older than 7 or 8. Like 10 to 12 and they can play a bit heavier games and really give me a challenge. Nevertheless, your point is well taken. Part of the reason why I love boardgames is because I want to somewhat rebel against this solitary electronic age where people fail to talk with each other and spend time. As much as I want to go to the game store and play with others. I want to spend time with my family too, so I usually end up staying home and gaming with them. Great reminder to us all tho, to cherish the time we have with our kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kinda in the same boat with Netrunner. Well, kinda but not quite. I have everything up to Data & Destiny, and cut off all spending after that. I have a buttload of cards

What I've done lately is netdeck a good number of decks from netrunnerdb, tweak because I don't have 10 copies of some key cards (Ah Jackson bastard Howard), and made a bunch of INTERESTING decks. Not quite super competitive (even though a couple of them are, but crippled by lack of full complement of cards), but fun.

I love that I have a viable Apex and Adam deck. And weird ass Jinteki decks.

And I have a couple friends who have some time to spend one on one and like to play games, and I've taught it to them, and like you know already, it holds up well with repeat play, so that's pretty fun.

I just wish there was a GOOD and SIMPLE 4 player variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahura Mazda
msg tools
Well for one i think i am fortunate to have found a game i play with my older kid ( i started it when he was 6 and now he is 7).
Said game is hero realms. What we found was that, since the strategy is in building the deck during play and you either play all cards in hand or discard them (you cannot keep cards from one turn to the other), it is fairly easy for him to get all doubts out of the way. Despite the language issue for him (we are portuguese), he just asks me what the special ability in a card does and then he thinks if he wants it in his deck or not.
Apart from that we mainly play co op or language independent games.
I hope i can getnhim to play netrunner in maybe 5-6 years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Olson
Australia
Darlington
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son recently turned 9 and we are now playing net runner together. I told him that we were going to learn it slowly. It look 3 slow sessions where we slogged through a game each time. Now he is very comfortable with the rules and is learning the bluffing aspect. The only caveat I would put is that he was particularly eager to learn it, which gave him the patience to slog through the initial excruciating play throughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing Matt. Sounds like I got another year or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.