Subject: Any info on the expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Przemy Slav
msg tools
badge
Meowthulhu fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have any information on the expansion that was mentioned in comments on clans kickstarter page?
Will it have a bigger box to store it with the base game?
Is it just an idea right now or is it something more?

Love the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I dont have too much information.

I am just collecting ideas for clans, port tiles, scoring tiles and terrain tiles.

Regarding bigger box: no idea yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Callison
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi Juma -- Love your game. One idea, based on the tightness of the footprint on a multi-player map, would be to allow advanced development or diversification on a single hex. Either a second industry, or a higher level of the existing industry, to increase production volume. Maybe on higher cost hexes or specially marked hexes only? Otherwise, any other map enhancements or new tiles would be really cool.

A second idea might be to build out the use of the waters. Maybe port settlements for all players with $$ income opportunities (or fish production). A third direct income source would be helpful. Maybe tie to some level of village-to-village trade route establishment and to order fulfillment?

Otherwise, again, really really nice game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemy Slav
msg tools
badge
Meowthulhu fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
More of the good and a bigger box and I'm sold Also it is a good idea to add more of the resource multipliers. It is not much effort, but it will solve all the issue people have with resources
Maybe a different solo mode, something like Viticulture's Automa?

Once more, good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Tavares
Brazil
Goiânia
Goiás
flag msg tools
Playing 'til death!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovatormentor wrote:

I am just collecting ideas for clans, port tiles, scoring tiles and terrain tiles.

I would like to see this game less focused on the contracts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gingras
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I really think the game is perfect the way it is. No need for an expansion with a new mechanic IMO. Maybe some additional tiles & clans for variety, like Juma mentionned. But I'd be quite happy with that!

Oh, but I'd be first in line for a slightly bigger box! Juma, I think you've heard this quite a bit by now, Juma... Make it happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Williams
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sp00ns wrote:
I really think the game is perfect the way it is. No need for an expansion with a new mechanic IMO. Maybe some additional tiles & clans for variety, like Juma mentionned. But I'd be quite happy with that!

Oh, but I'd be first in line for a slightly bigger box! Juma, I think you've heard this quite a bit by now, Juma... Make it happen!

FYI box inserts fix any issues with the smaller box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovatormentor wrote:

If we have such ideas, would you like us to share them with you on forums, or via direct messages here on BGG? Or would you not like unsolicited suggestions from the community (are you seeking suggestions from friends and fellow designers only?)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The ideas are not very refined yet. I lean towards collecting some more and refining them in my head before sharing.

I would like to share them eventually and ask which clans, scoring tiles sound fun to you before actually playtesting and balancing the ones that seem most fun.

Feel free to share any ideas as long as you do not expect anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemy Slav
msg tools
badge
Meowthulhu fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
joephes wrote:
Sp00ns wrote:

FYI box inserts fix any issues with the smaller box.

But they won't fit the expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I love the box size and wish other games would take notes on not wasting space on my shelves storing a ton of air. I have some room still available for some additions if the expansion is reasonable size.

As for expansion ideas, Wool could be converted into Tartan, creating another processed good. A small addition could be added to the left side of the player board to add the new buildings. There could even be vegetable/berries for the dyes used for coloring the Tartans. Then you'd need wool and dye to make a tartan for a unique processed good that requires two basics. The board extension could have both additional buildings and extensions could be used for the market as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tomcavage
United States
Malvern
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avemo3 wrote:
I love the box size and wish other games would take notes on not wasting space on my shelves storing a ton of air. I have some room still available for some additions if the expansion is reasonable size.

As for expansion ideas, Wool could be converted into Tartan, creating another processed good. A small addition could be added to the left side of the player board to add the new buildings. There could even be vegetable/berries for the dyes used for coloring the Tartans. Then you'd need wool and dye to make a tartan for a unique processed good that requires two basics. The board extension could have both additional buildings and extensions could be used for the market as well.

I'll rent some space from you then; my box is filled to the top and there's no way I'd consider an expansion unless it was a big enough expansion to warrant its own box. If you left everything in baggies, I guess you could have space, but baggies drive me insane. I despise opening a box and seeing a mess of plastic bags. I bought an insert for the game, and the insert works fantastically, but with the wooden insert and the game bits, there's barely room left for air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider the ratio: box volume to component volume. CoC has a very low ratio: too low, according to some.

I suspect that XoC (expansion of Caledonia) will have a very high ratio: perhaps a punchboard with clan and scoring tiles in a full-size box.

I hope that this can be avoided, since the cost of the box and of shipping it would be a lot higher than the cost of producing the punchboard(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Casulo wrote:
Innovatormentor wrote:

Seconded...but sadly it would require a complete re-work of the scoring - contract bonus and imported goods would have to be nerfed, settlement bonus and the round tiles would have to be buffed. (there's such a huge gap between them it would take a lot)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not the points salad you are looking for
Steve C wrote:
Casulo wrote:
Seconded...but sadly it would require a complete re-work of the scoring - contract bonus and imported goods would have to be nerfed, settlement bonus and the round tiles would have to be buffed. (there's such a huge gap between them it would take a lot)
So basically in a game themed around producing and exporting goods from the 19thC Scottish rural economy you are grumbling that being the best at exporting goods from the 19thC Scottish rural economy is overpowered.

Hmmmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Egor Chuchmenkin
Russia
flag msg tools
Will be there expansion for the 5th player or something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Vollor

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmb
We were just talking about the many possibilities while playing tonight. It would be great to have a processed good for wool, we joked about sweaters and kilts being the good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Callison
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Maybe also a Clan family home, with special abilities tied to that location -- increased production, cheaper connected hex purchases, tax collection for revenue generation, production sharing for competitor hexes within 2 hexes of the headquarters, etc. Maybe an upgradable building with increasing abilities and increasing victory points for developing the clan legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quaoar 10
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avemo3 wrote:
I love the box size and wish other games would take notes on not wasting space on my shelves storing a ton of air.

100% agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quaoar10 wrote:
Avemo3 wrote:
I love the box size and wish other games would take notes on not wasting space on my shelves storing a ton of air.

100% agreed!

If they're making an expansion just make it so that the original game fits in the expansion box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor

Lynnwood
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would *love* a proper Automa, not just a “beat your high score” solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miktay811 wrote:
I would *love* a proper Automa, not just a “beat your high score” solo game.

Clans has not one, but two Automa variants. MacHina is the more recent.

MacRonin is the other Clans Automa. It needs some work. I should know, since I am the designer!

Neither of these automa is official, but you might want to try one or both of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope nothing is done to change box size or that there is so much expansion that we would NEED a larger box. Part of what I love about this game is how much game is in this small size box. I love that its not a big square box mostly full of air. Its so much nicer bringing this size box around to game nights. Also there is still room for expansions like extra map tiles, clans, contracts and things like that

Also there is this beautiful thing: https://gamingtrunk.com/all-products/caledonia-organizer-for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Vee
United States
Alpharetta
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's another insert, that offers an option to get an overlay to keep all those bits from being knocked around on your player boards!

https://www.meeplerealty.com/product/caledonia-settlement/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1hooman wrote:
Here's another insert, that offers an option to get an overlay to keep all those bits from being knocked around on your player boards!

https://www.meeplerealty.com/product/caledonia-settlement/

Anyone know if there’s a U.K. stockist of meeplerealty products ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.