Andy Marshman
msg tools
Hi.

Love the look of this game. I would like to play something similar with my children but the game as is wont be suitable for them.

I don't have the game so wondered how much adult content there is. If there are only a few cards I can take out then that would be fine. I'm was intending to make my own rules up so I don't need to use the wizard cards.

Are there any other games that have similar mechanics to this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole game is filled with crass cartoon violence, but you should already realize that if you love the art and think your kids at whatever age they are will too. The whole premise is totally juvenile.

If you are fine with that baseline art than I think you will be fine with the game as a whole, but do go through and check out each card first. And look at all the pics available online before you commit to spending the $$ on it. BGG has a lot of images if it so check them all out.

If you're cool with your kids playing as Pisster the Pissed-off Wizard and Fey Tinkelbottom as they are depicted then you probably will be fine with the whole game.

There is one spell set that could be an issue: Beard o Blasty's Ballsy Testakill which implies violence with testicles. That's about as crass as the game gets and probably the cards you would be most likely to omit. Below includes a pic of the testakil part:

Of course I am not a parent and I'm one of those people who think Americans are totally nuts about exposing kids to violent images while shielding them from sexual ones so take my opinions with a giant chunk of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as an alternate I have no clue. Are you looking for something with similar art style or gameplay?

It is a relatively simple game with random elements that I can really see as kid friendly outside the theme -- just not too young- as there is also the need to read and match some pretty small symbols and it can be mean since you are attacking eachother.

The illustrator hasn't done other games as far as I can tell.

Maybe something like Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot, which also has some fun humor with pop-culture references an involves lots of attacking eachother. It is a great game for kids EXCEPT it can run very long as written so would require solid independent reading skills and enough patience for a 2 hour game. If they can handle playing Monopoly independantly or Risk they can handle Killer Bunnies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She's such a Geek
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There are TONS of unsuitable cards You won't be left with much if you remove them all!

They're such awesome games tho.. Cryptozoic really should make a kid friendly version. ..I don't know if it could reach the same level of awesomeness but I bet it would be rad anyways! $$$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Marshman
msg tools
Thanks for the reply. Good gods! The game is worse than I thought! Looks hilarious to play with adults but if you say I will need to remove a lot I won't consider playing with my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Marshman
msg tools
I just wanted a game where kids can just slap down some cards against a made up enemy in the centre. Something cooperative, crazy and quick to play. I liked the idea of making crazy sounding spells but looks like there is too much adult content there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voltaire Jayme
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marshmandr wrote:
I just wanted a game where kids can just slap down some cards against a made up enemy in the centre. Something cooperative, crazy and quick to play. I liked the idea of making crazy sounding spells but looks like there is too much adult content there.

5 Minute Dungeon fits your criteria of being coop, crazy and quick to play. It's also kid-friendly.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/207830/5-minute-dung...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marshmandr wrote:

Maybe:
Munchkin
Treasures & Traps
Adventurer: Card Game
Dragonwood
Baldrick's Tomb
Adventure Land

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Marshman
msg tools
Strangely I have just picked up a german copy if 5 minute dungeon. My kids will love this. Better brush up on my german though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, as you already know, people
badge
Everything happens so much
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love a version of this game with the crude humour removed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BenDTU wrote:
I'd love a version of this game with the crude humour removed

Thumb down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.