Planet Apocalypse» Forums » General

Subject: Do we get trooper models or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I understand it that we'll be getting counters for the troopers... How lame!

You don't need to do millions of trooper figures, not really.

All needed is 3 different sculpts for the troopers:

Level I sculpt: looks like generic police officer

Level II sculpt: looks like generic soldier

Level III sculpt: Special forces guy in tacticool gear

Each country doesn't need their own sculpts. These three types would be sufficient to rep every trooper type in the game, no matter which country they come from...

Counters for troops would be lame when all heroes and demons have sculpts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColHammer wrote:
I understand it that we'll be getting counters for the troopers... How lame!

I doubt language like this will motivate them to make troop minis...
However PG do listen to their backers, so perhaps we will get them as an addon if the campaign does well.

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
At this time we don't have trooper models. The reason isn't actually to "save money". It is for ease of play.

You see, an individual trooper has a lot of information that you need to know. His cost, his absorption, his special ability, his ambush deadliness. And since the troopers can change between games, you won't be able to memorize these facts easily (as you could do, more or less, in Cthulhu Wars, for instance).

Therefore, they are cards so you can see the information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
So all troopers have individual stats and the stat cards go on the map and not on the sideline where the demon stat cards are?

I'm pretty confused now.

But I guess I'll see in monday how things are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Each different type of trooper has its own stats. All troopers of a given type are identical, however.

The unused troopers are kept in 5 stacks at the side of the board, where players have easy access to them.

Troopers in play are either "on patrol" in which case they are sitting next to your hero sheet, accompanying you, or "in ambush", in which case they are on the board.

When enemies walk into an ambush, the troopers fire. If players can't remember what a particular trooper's attack is, they can either look at one of the stacks, or pick up a trooper from the area in question and examine it. Of course, it's also possible to memorize the trooper's stats.

One of my problems with trooper figures is that either they would have to be generic (i.e., all 5-cost elite troopers look the same, whether they are spetsnaz, texas rangers, or navy seals) or else I'd need hundreds of them. My other problem is that it puts me into the business of making little army men, which isn't really Petersen Games' core skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
But the troopers do not have to look exactly like how they look now. It's the apocalypse! Your heroes do not look like what people right now are wearing either...

You have already done how many different cultist figures. Why it is a big deal to come up with 3 soldier sculpts that have nice apocalyptic twist on their look to make them look like they belong to this games unique look?

I feel like if your 3 soldier sculpts look suitably apocalyptic, we don't need a separate sculpt for spetznaz or seal or SAS, just a suitably spec force operator with scarf and cap and sun glasses or nv goggles and lots of tacticool gear that looks like a fighter in a demonic invasion.

But it sounds like you are already made up your mind about this, so I will shut up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played Planet Apocalypse in various incarnations, and therefore being privy to more information than the layperson, there are more than 3 broad categories of Soldiers, and not every type within any given category has the same number of units available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, now I've seen the KS page and I understand it might be impractical to have the troop cards as figures as it would need to have so many extra figures.

I still would like to have those astronauts and cosmonauts as figures in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.