Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am about to play for the first time! My friend is gonna teach me the game.

Any advice concerning rules? Anything that people easily mistake on the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlement scoring and import goods scoring come up a lot. (It's not the number of Scotsmeeples/Sheeples/Mooples/Whiskeeples/etc. that you place, but the max number of connected settlements in your largest group.)

You can ONLY place Woodsmen or Miners in your initial placement (no Sheep or Dairies or Bonnie Coos).

Shipping reach doesn't work ALONG rivers, only ACROSS them.

Refined goods spaces can only produce ONE refined good per Production phase and you MUST exchange a basic good in order to do so (e.g., you cannot take 4 Wheat and make 4 Whisky using a single Distillery -- you must have 4 Distilleries in order to do so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neighbourhood bonus is only when you are in the neighbourhood of another players goods production unit (not workers). Neighbourhood = adjacent by LAND only (not across river)

Can only buy up to 3 times of each type of good when doing the neighbourhood bonus. Meaning if you expand next to 2 cows you can only purchase a max of 3 milk using the neighbourhood bonus

Check the rulebook for the clan abilities.

Clan Buchanan (double export clan) has another ability concerning a building bonus where they can look at 6 instead of the normal 3.

Can't buy and sell one type of good in the same round. I.e. can't buy milk then sell it later.

When you gain a building bonus and a neighbourhood bonus, you can choose the order in which to carry out the bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Grogan has an excellent teaching video on this game, might help make the tutorial a little faster (or better yet, give you the ammo to correct your friend who has been playing it wrong ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Callison
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Understand own ability and use it. Look ahead and understand the scoring tiles -- orient to each as they come up each turn. Build income engine (esp. miners/foresters) -- Money is KEY to this game.

I've not been able to really take advantage of the corner port tiles - think I'm missing something. Still, worth looking at their functions in advance and deciding if they are useful.

I usually get only a few orders done. Take them early when they are cheap or pay you money. Later, having to pay $$ to take the order is a bit too expensive in many cases. Paying the order cost is a rule that often gets overlooked, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
I am about to play for the first time! My friend is gonna teach me the game.

Any advice concerning rules? Anything that people easily mistake on the rules?

stress the difference between primary and secondary goods and how their production works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I taught a group once that heard that each merchant allows buying or selling as many as you want of a given good.

In reality, a merchant allows you to sell a single good. Or to buy a single good. If you want to buy 3 breads at once, you can, but it will require you to use 3 merchants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wacco wrote:
Understand own ability and use it. Look ahead and understand the scoring tiles -- orient to each as they come up each turn. Build income engine (esp. miners/foresters) -- Money is KEY to this game.

I've not been able to really take advantage of the corner port tiles - think I'm missing something. Still, worth looking at their functions in advance and deciding if they are useful.

I usually get only a few orders done. Take them early when they are cheap or pay you money. Later, having to pay $$ to take the order is a bit too expensive in many cases. Paying the order cost is a rule that often gets overlooked, I think.

Thank you but no thank you! I am only concerned about rules, and not strategy at this moment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Williams
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:
Paul Grogan has an excellent teaching video on this game, might help make the tutorial a little faster (or better yet, give you the ammo to correct your friend who has been playing it wrong ).

I second this. He's got to have one of the best explanations of this game out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played it!

Wow, amazing game!

I made 145 points and was able to win the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.