14 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: What if they added small expansions of gods with less mythology? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Might be an idea for them to do something with the Roman Pantheon. Something smaller due to the similarities with the Roman one.

Like just a big box and a small expansion to add a few gods, legionaries,gladiators, Romulus and Remus, Spartacus and some creatures from the mythology.

Or the Christian Pantheon. Just one god in that mythology. And there's potential for powers there for stuff like a flood, fire column and a petrify power to turn people into salt pillars.

Jesus could be a support hero with no attack who can heal and resurrect units using art of war cards.
There could also be Samson who is similar to Heracles, David who is good against heroes with his sling and there could be monsters like a dark angel or devil.

Some Persian mythology could also be good for this, it does share some creatures with greek mythology so a full season would probably not work for them either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Piantoni
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Ragnarok and the Norse Pantheon are next and probably will be announced for a new KS in the fall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Delerme
France
paris
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Given the degree of tolerance monotheous religions have in western civilizations (and hindu doesn't seem much more tolerant), I think they'd better stick to mostly dead religions devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delerme wrote:
Given the degree of tolerance monotheous religions have in western civilizations (ans indu doesn't seem much more tolerant), I think they'd better stick to mostly dead religions devil

Sad but true.
Persian, Mesopotamian, Egyptian, that could all be done quite well. Winged Sphinxes FTW. Still: Name three Egyptian "heroes"! Quick! ... ... ... Beep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Egyptian heros would most likely have to be various Pharaohs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I'd like to play with a faction based on Christian mythology, just look at the complaints they got for JoA.

They might do it, being a French company they likely don't have to be truly afraid of the backlash, but whether it's worth it to potentially alienate a significant portion of the US market is hard to tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
As much as I'd like to play with a faction based on Christian mythology, just look at the complaints they got for JoA.

What kind of complaints did they get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The usual nonsense, glorifying and playing the devil, that sort of rubbish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Knowing the US market, I imagine they might even be thrilled that they can beat up other gods with their god considering that most American christians seem to know less about the bible than the average Atheist anyways.
They'd probably complain more about their god not being overpowered compared to the others.

To me it's all mythology though, and the Greek mythology is the most interesting to me followed by the Norse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Mishap wrote:

That was some of it, but it only really started when they added the lamb (because if a representation of a god is a unit in the game, it can be killed/destroyed, which most religions consider a bit of a downer), that really put it over the line for more than the usual "muh devils" crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Major Mishap wrote:

That was some of it, but it only really started when they added the lamb (because if a representation of a god is a unit in the game, it can be killed/destroyed, which most religions consider a bit of a downer), that really put it over the line for more than the usual "muh devils" crowd.

It wasn’t just the Lamb, but also Judgment, who looks an awful lot like that Jesus fella. The idea that you could “kill” Jesus upset some. It was then revealed that Judgment is not actually a killable unit.

There were also the folks that couldn’t wrap their heads around the fact that the game was based around medieval and biblical notions of Christianity. A lot of the depictions were taken from biblical descriptions and medieval art, but it still violated some people’s notions of what these things are. The world view of a Medieval, Christian French or English person was vastly different from Christianity today. Most people know this and were fine with it, but some people wanted things changed to fit their modern idea of Christianity. Thank God Mythic didn’t cave in to these people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:

It wasn’t just the Lamb, but also Judgment, who looks an awful lot like that Jesus fella. The idea that you could “kill” Jesus upset some. It was then revealed that Judgment is not actually a killable unit.

Yeah there was a set of 3 Christian units which were announced together, I didn't remember the names of the other 2. Lamb was one, Judgement the second, and the third didn't make them any happier either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Good thing that the Greeks who still worship their own gods are not so uptight about such things, I bet they would love this game even.

I never understood the double standards though. Personally I show equal respect to all religions wether it's greek, norse, christian, muslim, hindu, etc. But it is all mythology to me. A collection of interesting stories that sometimes have a moral to it and other times its more of a grim fairytale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:
Good thing that the Greeks who still worship their own gods are not so uptight about such things, I bet they would love this game even.

I never understood the double standards though. Personally I show equal respect to all religions wether it's greek, norse, christian, muslim, hindu, etc. But it is all mythology to me. A collection of interesting stories that sometimes have a moral to it and other times its more of a grim fairytale.

Oh I show equal "respect" too (it's just very little), but the reason for the double standard is pretty obvious, isn't it? Religious people think that their religion is right, all others are fairytales. From that point of view there really is no double-standard, it's two different things being treated differently because they ARE different.

I don't agree with it, but it's perfectly consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.