Subject: Eureka Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card, such as Eureka, tells you to ‘search the top three cards of your deck for a card,’ how does this work? Do you look at the top three cards and choose one, or do you declare a card and then look at the top three cards to see if it is there?

I have avoided playing similar effects, and I think the word search is my hang up - search implies you’re looking for something specific. Any help is appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A "search" allows you to look at all the cards and then take any card that matches the restriction on the search effect, but you don't need to declare a specific target up front.

For something like Prepared for the Worst, you look at 9 cards and can pick any single Asset card with the Weapon trait that you find. If you're using the Arcane Initiate, you can take any card of any type with the Spell trait, regardless of type, from amongst the three cards you search. You're also required to find a target if you can, so if the only Spell you find is Dark Memory, then you have to draw that!

In the case of Eureka being played into your test and you succeeding, you can look at the top 3 cards of your deck and pick any one of them, no restrictions whatsoever. Hopefully it's not three weaknesses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Schmidt
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thirteen-time World Champion Green Bay Packers!
badge
The time that we kill keeps us alive
mbmbmbmbmb
SepiaPenguin03 wrote:
you look at the top three cards and choose one

It's really as simple as that.

An added benefit of this mechanic it that it doesn't trigger weakness cards. When a weakness is drawn its Revelation effect is immediately resolved (or, if an enemy, it is spawned). Looking at X cards or searching X cards avoids this pitfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help! I’ll add these cards to my deck with confidence now!

theSlex wrote:
SepiaPenguin03 wrote:
you look at the top three cards and choose one

It's really as simple as that.

An added benefit of this mechanic it that it doesn't trigger weakness cards. When a weakness is drawn its Revelation effect is immediately resolved (or, if an enemy, it is spawned). Looking at X cards or searching X cards avoids this pitfall.

That’s a good point! I believed that is how the cards were intended to work, but I couldn’t figure out why they didn’t just say something like ‘Draw three, pick one’ but that is an excellent reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.