Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

John Company» Forums » Rules

Subject: Provincial offices: Taxes, Treasury rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Taxes on the turn a Provincial office is established remain in the treasury until a resident or governor is appointed on the next turn...
(side note: residencies collect taxes?)


When that provincial office is established at the top of the next Company phase, does the money in that treasury get treated like retroactive taxes and thus can go in either that Provincial Office's treasury, that Presidency's treasury, or the coffers of the family that occupies that Provincial office? Or must it stay where it is?

Additionally, I assume money that is allocated by any mechanism, other than Taxation, to the Treasury of a Provincial Office CANNOT be reallocated to the Presidency of that Provincial Office, nor placed in its family's coffers? It is only at the moment of Taxation that only that money can be placed anywhere other than the Treasury of that Provincial office...?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
(side note: residencies collect taxes?)


Yes.

Quote:

When that provincial office is established at the top of the next Company phase, does the money in that treasury get treated like retroactive taxes and thus can go in either that Provincial Office's treasury, that Presidency's treasury, or the coffers of the family that occupies that Provincial office? Or must it stay where it is?


The first set of taxes collected will always go on the treasury because there is no office holder who can redirect it at that time.

Quote:


Additionally, I assume money that is allocated by any mechanism, other than Taxation, to the Treasury of a Provincial Office CANNOT be reallocated to the Presidency of that Provincial Office, nor placed in its family's coffers? It is only at the moment of Taxation that only that money can be placed anywhere other than the Treasury of that Provincial office...?


Correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
aram12 wrote:
(side note: residencies collect taxes?)


Yes.





It was more an invitation to a thematic explanation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:
aram12 wrote:
(side note: residencies collect taxes?)


Yes.



It was more an invitation to a thematic explanation.


Ah, well then, I'm happy to take the bait.

First, I should say a little about the governorships. For a lot of historians, the Company's dominion in India started after Clive's military victories in 1757. The Company had had victories before, why were these special? Welp, Clive framed his intervention on behalf of Mir Jafar and, when he installed Mir Jafar as the new Nawab he received taxation rights to significant portions of Bengal.

Often the Company's military services were subsidized in exactly this way. So, in the game, governorships, won by conquest, often mean tax revenues.

Well, what about residencies? Some regions that saw company interventions couldn't serve as bases for further conquest. This is mostly because the region already had established micro-states that would rebuff any kind of serious occupation. At the same time, some taxing privileges could still be obtained, and, just as critically, these diplomatic postings were still sites of considerable corruption--rent-seeking in the most literal sense.

To capture this difference, I decided to divide provincial offices into two classes: governorships and residencies. Both would collect taxes, but only one could serve as a base for future conquests.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.