Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Rise And Reverberate
mbmbmbmbmb
A query has come up during play about the Lurching Ghoul chapter card. It says that YOU are so fearstruck that any wisdom you roll has no effect. But what if you have the Rengorn's Rune item card that allows you to change any double roll to any single? Could you change a double to a single wisdom and make it count because technically you didn't roll the wisdom.
I don't think you can but someone else is adamant that you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In these kinds of thematic games, I tend to rule in a way that makes the experience more harrowing or interesting. In this case, I would rule that the ghoul's fear is so intense that it blocks any attempt to use wisdom to overcome the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
In these kinds of thematic games, I tend to rule in a way that makes the experience more harrowing or interesting. In this case, I would rule that the ghoul's fear is so intense that it blocks any attempt to use wisdom to overcome the challenge.

That's the way I would play it too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me at least, the card says any wisdom you roll...seeing as a double might for example is not a wisdom rolled, one could use the rune to change the die to a wisdom. A double wisdom, however, I would think could not be used, following the chapter card of no wisdom "rolled".
This seems to be the best of the two cards, item and chapter.
I often follow the item cards abilities unless specifically stated otherwise.
But I can see how not using any wisdom period would be a bit more thematic to the chapter card.
Themeborne will hopefully clear issues like this up in their FAQ.

Great Game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great question here and interesting discussion.

The intention of this chapter is that the player who is Fearstruck by the touch of the lurching Ghoul has their natural Wisdom (represented by the symbols on their character die) totally removed - their mind is turned to mush by the unexpected emergence of such a horror! Think of it as all Wisdom symbols disappearing from that character's dice until the end of the chapter. It doesn't matter what you do to the dice, it can never been made to display Wisdom. Any Wisdom they roll is considered a blank. If they roll a double Wisdom, that is a double blank (but importantly, since the Shield symbol is discrete, they still BLOCK).

The key interpretation is the word 'rolled'. We consider that '...any Wisdom rolled...' is not restricted to 'natural' rolls but in fact includes modified rolls, re-rolls, multiple rolls etc - essentially 'rolled' means whatever is showing on the character's dice at the moment they choose to apply it. The Rune modifies the character dice, gives the character an opportunity to summon-up their natural wisdom where initially they had failed to do so. However, since in this chapter their natural Wisdom has been totally negated by the touch of the Ghoul, changing the dice to show a single Wisdom would be changing it to show a single blank.

So, we are going to rule with the spirit of the card and say 'No': Rengorn's Rune cannot be used by the Fearstruck player to generate Wisdom here.

This is a good example of the kind of peril that can befall the character chosen to lead the group into the darkness ahead.

Beyond the Rengorn's Rune item, there is actually another question raised by this situation - that of whether the same player could use the Distilled Wisdom potion to "...apply a single Wisdom...". In this case we are ruling YES - the strange liquid of the Potion grants them an unnatural dash of momentary Wisdom from an exterior source, completely separate (and in addition) to what was 'rolled' on their character dice. In other words, keep a potion handy to fend-off Ghouls!

This forum is doing a great job of acting as an unofficial FAQ while we compile rules questions from our Kickstarter backers, and the official FAQ will go live in the next week or so at www.themeborne.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Rise And Reverberate
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit my first thought was that modifying a dice roll still counts as a 'roll' and wouldn't be allowed. However the only reason I was inclined to let it count is the fact that with two characters this game is very hard and anything that gives the players an edge is to be welcomed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Think of it as all Wisdom symbols disappearing from that character's dice until the end of the chapter. It doesn't matter what you do to the dice, it can never been made to display Wisdom. I've added this to my explanation above as I think it helps add clarity to the ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
With this item card (Rengorn's Rune) modifying the dice roll is not like in say D&D where you keep the 'natural' roll and add a +1 or whatever.

This item allows you to physically take up the dice and change it to any single result of your choice, as if you had rolled that result in the first place. Another way of allowing that same effect would be to say, 'Roll the dice repeatedly until you get the result you want.' The end result is the same, and that is why we consider the final result to have been 'rolled' - we just chose the more streamlined method to get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam O'Caoimh
Ireland
Model Farm Road
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, seeing as a wisdom is required to defeat the ghoul, and no dice can be used to hit it. The only way to defeat this is to have a distilled wisdom potion?

If you don't have one you just have to flee and lose 2 HP?

Edit: I noticed the keyword You. So other players/characters can roll wisdom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.