Subject: Solo Play : First game impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So as my earlier post suggested, i hadn't yet tackled this as a solo game as i haven't really enjoyed any of my previous solo outings.

So i had a scan over the rules, clarified one and i was off, Mars needed terraforming and i was the corporation to do it.

I randomly picked my corp and ended up with Teractor, cool i thought, i get to start with loads of mega credits, this should make buying and playing cards fairly easy early on....

For the first few generations, i didn't really get the luck of the draw, and ended up buying cards for later in the game, banking them as it is, knowing they would come in handy at a later point in the game.

For the first 3 generations, i don't really remember doing much, my VP was stuck on 14, so my generous amount of cash i started with had rapidly dwindled and income was now a bit of a problem.

My energy and heat productions were looking good though, so the temperature wasn't going to be a problem in the long run, but what about everything else...

So i pushed on, quickly realising how much quicker and smoother the game worked with only one player, you are at the luck of the cards, but that can be said for the multiplayer game also.

Fast forwards to generation 13, i had amassed a lot of cash, my oxygen was looking good as i could increase that once every 2 generations due to me planting greenery and other sources.

I was starting to purchase water without a problem as my starting megacredits each round were now around 45, i didn't really plan on buying or playing any more cards as i really needed the credits to complete the water on the map.

Fast forward to the end of generation 14, all water was on the map, the oxygen was at max....but the temperature, the seemingly easy one that i had dismissed and not took much attention to was stuck on 2, i had neglected it most of the game as in the back of my mind it wouldn't be an issue....well how wrong was i!!!

Overall, what am amazing experience for a solo game and i couldnt recommend it highly enough for anyone who is weary about solo games.

If you enjoy this with multiple people, you owe it to yourself to at least try it solo, im going back for another go as i found it that enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:
For the first few generations, i didn't really get the luck of the draw, and ended up buying cards for later in the game, banking them as it is, knowing they would come in handy at a later point in the game.
Buying a lot of cards isn't a great idea in the solo game. And doing much of anything "for later" is going to hurt you a lot. You need to be doing stuff to increase your income as fast as possible, preferably through TR bumps.

Kingtreelo wrote:
For the first 3 generations, i don't really remember doing much, my VP was stuck on 14, so my generous amount of cash i started with had rapidly dwindled and income was now a bit of a problem.
This is going to kill you. The solo game is a snowball. Once it starts getting rolling it builds up quickly. It often ends up that everything starts kicking in towards the end of the game and I'll have a megaturn on round 14, which will be when I finish all the global parameters. Delaying that snowball means that the big rush at the end of the game may come just a bit too late. If you don't have anything good to do in the early game then the standard project to raise the temperature isn't a bad choice. It'll pay back the investment and gets you 1 step closer to the goal. Of course it's better to have a card that does things more efficiently, but you can't count on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:

I randomly picked my corp and ended up with Teractor, cool i thought, i get to start with loads of mega credits, this should make buying and playing cards fairly easy early on....

You could have dealt your 10 cards out and then randomly picked 2 corps and then, looking at your cards, select your corp. This would be nearer to the multiplayer game. I assume you started with zero production. It certainly is a great puzzle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
therdfamily wrote:
Kingtreelo wrote:

You could have dealt your 10 cards out and then randomly picked 2 corps and then, looking at your cards, select your corp. This would be nearer to the multiplayer game. I assume you started with zero production. It certainly is a great puzzle!

As it was my first solo game, i didnt deal 2 random corps, i just picked one to see how it would turn out.

And yes, i think i have played it 5 times now and have managed to win once solo, fantastic solo game that is a lot different when played with others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Try solo with VN.

I consider it much easier. With the stronger solo corps (e.g. Helion) you max all 4 criteria on generation 13 or sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As an update ot this, i have actually played this 5 times solo now and finally completed it on my 5th go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.