Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ymrde Buno
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
hi guys,

should i buy this nice looking fancy fantasy adventure game when i want it play in 3-4 players?
Or should i better look for something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Four is not favored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Not by a large majority, though. I think 4p works fine, it's just a bit on the longish side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donagh Molloy
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With four you can have two battles running at the same time if you have the extra tokens. It is longer but it's a long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, if you have 4p, better play Runebound on two tables. Unless you're playing coop, there's almost no difference, but it will be twice as fast :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could provide you with a definitive answer but the answer is very subjective. It all depends on the play group.

From my experience, the people I have played with either like this style of game, in which four people and the play time wasn't an issue or someone didn't enjoy the game and it pretty much became an unpleasant experience.

Unfortunately for me, most of the people I play games with are not into a game like Runebound. The bright side is that I think Runebound is one of the best solo games out there so I can still play it regularly and enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 can make the game a tad long, but I think once everyone knows the rules you should be rolling famously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 makes the game longer, sure, but what substantive adventure game doesn't run long with 4 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Pérez Cantalapiedra
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurox wrote:
hi guys,

should i buy this nice looking fancy fantasy adventure game when i want it play in 3-4 players?

Just about the "something else", you could consider Shadows of Malice (although a bit expensive nowadays). I think is a fantastic game for 4 players (much better for this than Runebound IMO).

edit: except if you are looking for a competitive game, in which case SoM just cooperative. Note also than in RB3 there is little direct competitive interaction (i.e. hero vs hero battle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ymrde Buno
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
urkary wrote:
Eurox wrote:
hi guys,

Just about the "something else", you could consider Shadows of Malice (although a bit expensive nowadays). I think is a fantastic game for 4 players (much better for this than Runebound IMO).

edit: except if you are looking for a competitive game, in which case SoM just cooperative. Note also than in RB3 there is little direct competitive interaction (i.e. hero vs hero battle)

Thanks.

I ll check Shadows of Malice.

Of course that we like more competitive games with interaction. Sad that this kind of fantasy theme adventure games with map are mostly coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Pérez Cantalapiedra
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurox wrote:
urkary wrote:
Eurox wrote:
hi guys,

Thanks.

I ll check Shadows of Malice.

Of course that we like more competitive games with interaction. Sad that this kind of fantasy theme adventure games with map are mostly coop.

I think should not be difficult to create competitive scenarios for Shadows of Malice, and fighting to each other must be very fun. Here an example I created inspired by your comment

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1934814/competitive-variant...

Of course, it is untested and you may not understand it without having played Shadows of Malice before. But just as an example of how you could houserule the game to make it competitive.

You could also houserule direct fighting in RB3 I guess, but as far as I know nobody has done it yet¿?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.