BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Time for a new game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to buy a few new games for the School gaming Club, which will also be played at home !

1. No longer than 45 minutes to play
2. A game with a strong, appealing theme
3. Something a little different
4. Board game as opposed to card game.
5. Easily available in Europe
6. Language independent, so that we can play in Breton

Recent games that we have loved : Potion Explosion, Iquazú

Many thanks! I am rather tempted by Azul and Queendominothe ever popular !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this excellent geek list: 45-Minute Favorites.

A game that may fit your criteria is Alchemist. Mix ingredients to earn victory points and new ingredients to work with. Value and conversion rules are set by the players themselves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Runge
Germany
flag msg tools
Looking through my humble collection I only find one game matching your criteria and that's Forbidden Desert. People seem to like it a lot, although I find it much too easy. Apart from that it's a good game and maybe a cooperative game could be counted as "something a little different".
When I play a cooperative game, I prefer being killed by something like Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, though (which is both language dependent and too long).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bradlee
United States
Bolton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt Express

You and your fellow bandits compete to be the richest outlaw of the Old West as you rob and climb all around a train and avoid the Marshall over the course of five rounds. It supports up to 6 players with the base game, and I find that everyone enjoys playing it regardless of how much money they get (or how many times people shoot them). The game itself is language independent, and it's popular enough that I can only assume it's available in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dyck
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try out King of Tokyo! It’s a bunch of fun! Fairly short and up to 6 players! You’ll wanna play more than one round. Probably about 65% language independent. Give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks ! I have King Of Tokyo and Forbidden desert, so you have all understood what I'm looking for. I am going to look through the list of 45 minute games ...

Colt Express is a game that my sin loves, too !

You're all great, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Imhotep is a different game that is fairly quick to play and we all like it

Imhotep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Flamme Rouge?

It can play upto 8 players with a cyclist each?
Even try four, two player teams?

With the Flamme Rouge: Peloton expansion, you get an extra four cyclists, so you could even play up to twelve players in an "Everyman for himself" race.

There are cards, but it's simultaneous selection and very quick choosing, so gets very exciting watching what everyone plays, plus it's a race!

Nice replayibility with different tracks that can be made each time and grand tours that can be played over several sessions and keep a record of the stages winners etc.

The students could even design their own race track layouts and then the winners or losers get to choose which is the next one to race on?

It could be a great game for a school club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas !

So far I have

Flamme Rouge
Photosynthesis
Azul
Imhotep
Queendomino

On my shortlist !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo meets all your needs.

Edit...DANG! 45 minutes would be pushing it. You can play it in an hour easily after the first game. Probably 45 with experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why; but I have never thought of Rococo ....I ended up being completely influenced by my children. 10 year old has wanted Colt Express for a while, and it was 15 euros on Amazon Germany (about 19 dollars), daughter wanted Kilt castle, she'll easily beat me at that ...and got a serious bargain in a seriously light game, Yeti for 12 Euros ( 15 dollars), normally at least 30 euros here in France.

That's how to buy games that weren't on your list at all. Kids !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D may be a bit longer once player count goes up, but it is pretty inclusive

Castle Panic could be worth a go - essentially board game tower defence

Tsuro will work up to 8 players

Ticket to Ride - either USA or Europe (or both! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy D., how would you rate Castle Panic ? It's quite expensive, so am wondering ....there are also extensions, if I remember correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gobaith wrote:
Andy D., how would you rate Castle Panic ? It's quite expensive, so am wondering ....there are also extensions, if I remember correctly.

I've only played this on my own but the premise is very straight forward and could be picked up at all ages. I mentioned it because Plants vs Zombies and other such games are all over people's smart phones nowadays so it was nice to pick up a cardboard version! Whilst there is a fantasy theme, it doesn't really impact on the game too much. I am looking to take it along to our fantasy board game session rather than with the 'hardcore' fraternity...I've also picked up the Wizard's Tower expansion on Zee Garcia's recommendation in the Dice Tower Top 10 expansion video - I haven't put this into play yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Kessinger
United States
Smiths Grove
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some awesome suggestions here!

I'd add Escape: The Curse of the Temple and Magic Maze.

Escape plays in 10 minutes but they will definitely want to play again (and it should count for cardio with the way it gets your heart racing).

Magic Maze has provided some of the best laughs (especially for a game where you can't speak) at our game nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
Joshua
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
mbmbmbmbmb
gobaith wrote:

Castle Panic is a light cooperative game, but I would not play it without the Wizards Tower expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's it ! The Wizard's tower . I'll look into it. Playing a lot of Truro of the seas at the moment. How I love that game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jamaica
Bomb Squad
Adventure Land
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters
Through the Desert
The Downfall of Pompeii
The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac
Samurai
Pueblo
Sheepland
Zooloretto
Scotland Yard
Top Secret Spies
Inkognito
Clue - numerous versions available
Ricochet Robots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Bailey
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downforce is popular with my 9 and 11 year olds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.