celtic player
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the contest's prize was to publish the scenario by Portal games, but the scenarios suggestions came from outside. There are various threads about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without all of the information it sounds like an overreaction. The slaves may have very little to do with the scenario with the main goal being based around this shaman and the slaves just being some RC Lore thrown in. Without knowing all the "interesting changes/decisions" that occur it could have even involved working together with the slaves. Maybe the shaman made them some type of zombie etc.

Though that's at least how I took it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read the Portal announcement, but if it's as you say I would have to agree. Shall we play a game where each player is a WWII concentration camp commander and the objective is to exterminate the most Jewish prisoners? How about a game based on the Hundred Years War where the objective is to capture Joan of Arc and be the first to burn her at the stake? Or a game (call it "Westward Ho!") where the objective is expand across the North American continent and violently displace indigenous natives? Maybe, hopefully, the idea for a Robinson Crusoe slave-hunting scenario is an error in translation from the original language (I presume Polish). In any case, though, I'm going to hold off judging until I read the final scenario myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They could always make them Fakirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm misreading the announcement, but while the problematic "slave" scenario is highlighted, I don't believe it was a winner and therefore wouldn't be published as a part of this contest at least.

FWIW I wouldn't be comfortable playing it either. There are some other scenarios and cards that actually exist that I'm also removing from the box, namely the "Gimp" card (which was a promo, I believe) and I'm a bit iffy on the Cannibal Island scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuropuppy wrote:
Am I over reacting?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Chan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's just a little bit of over-reaction. Since we don't know that many details from the scenario itself. I would be hesitant to play it, but maybe with a nuanced execution it could be good and acceptable?

And also, that entry didn't win the contest. They were just describing the entries that they got. I think they described all 12 entries. And this is my opinion, but it seems that particular paragraph describing the scenario was less enthusiastic. The other ones got: "OMG", " I loved the concept ", "Extraordinary concept", and so on. This one just got "interesting choice...".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to throw this out there. While it's perfectly fine that you're disturbed by chasing down slaves (I would be too), I can't help but notice you make no mention of the choice you have to make about killing or imprisoning the shaman. That possibly having to choose to kill someone didn't bother you (or if it did you didn't mention it).

I know you mentioned hunting them down and punishing the one who freed them, but your entire post was centered around being bothered by the slaves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Chan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuropuppy wrote:
The thing is, while the submission came from the outside, and didn't win...the announcement put it in the top 5 entries which were essentially gushed about.

That is not even true. They didn't gush about the slave scenario. Just re-read the paragraph and compare it to the other entries.

On top of that, it's not top 5. It's the 4th paragraph in the listing, but that's not the ranking.

The ranking is at the bottom:

"I also give 3 additional awards. In the search for prisoners from Wojtek for its brilliant idea with prisoners shuffled into hunting deck, Us vs Them for achieving impossible and changing Robinson into competitive game and Adventures in the Neverland for showing that Robinson can be an amazing family game (Us vs Them and Adventures in the Neverland were designed by Mariusz)."

So it's actually:
1- Time travel
2- Search of Prisoners by Wojtek (that's not the slave one from Sebastian)
3- Us vs Them
4- Adventures in the Neverland

And it's a top 4.... shake

I understand that Americans are very sensitive about this subject, and it's within reason. But you're over-reacting here, and spreading false info here (Slave scenario is not in Top 5 and definitely not gushed about)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have an opinion about the OP.....

but for someone who knows nothing about these scenarios but would like some Print-n-play scenarios, how do I get them?? Is there a link?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Chan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuropuppy wrote:
The level of need for specifics is astounding. I will admit that I was incorrect that the slaver entry was in the top five, but it still received a special mention. I didn't say the slaver scenario was gushed over directly, however, ALL of the entries were gushed over as a whole...which includes the slaver scenario. It's not as if whoever wrote the article said that it was a messed up submission for their contest...like, hey check out this slaver scenario, it's so out there! It's not as if the submissions was rescuing the slaves from slavers. The idea is that you are a slave ship crew trying to recapture slaves after they escaped, and choosing wether or not to kill the slave shaman who sunk your ship. Yes, in America, slavery is a hot button topic...but should it not be world wide? Slavery still goes on today all over the world. It's sickening that anyone would be ok with a company even toying with or praising such an idea (wether or not it won). No one should look at the concept of playing a slave catching simulation and go "hey, that's pretty interesting".

Look. You are implying so much by what's not written in that article. It's NOT WRITTEN anywhere that they find SLAVERY INTERESTING. What's interesting for them is this part:

"As with the first entry, this one also has two different way to end. When players find shaman, they will have to make decision to imprison him or kill and depending on the choice, different things will happen and rules change. Once again, interesting choice for players."

The INTERESTING "praise" is clearly talking about the player choice changing the rules. Listen, the article might not be the best written literature with a clear message. But if you take the time to read it, you can see that it's not finding SLAVERY INTERESTING. It's specifically talking about the game mechanism that allow the player to change the rule by choosing one action vs the other. Albeit a gruesome choice: imprison or killing.

The word interesting is only referred once in that specific part while talking about this scenario.

Also they specifically say: "The mission is called Voodoo Island and has a very dark and disturbing theme". They are not using very dark and disturbing in the Zack Snyder DC universe fuck yeah edgy way. It's literally very dark and disturbing. How is that not the same thing as "messed up" as you're saying yourself.

I think you're so affected by the mention of slavery in general, that your reading comprehension takes a hit.

Yeah ok, you say people defending them are complicit with being ok with slavery. No one is ok here with slavery. All we're saying is that you're over-reacting and putting words in the publisher's mouth. You already conceded the fact that you were wrong and it's not in the top 5. But you're still believing in your own outrage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Ramsdale
United Kingdom
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Woohoo!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Massive over reaction in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
My precious!
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy hell,
I love how you can no longer have anything to do with the darker times of the human race, without offending some white guilt snowflake.
You realized EVERY race in the world had slavery.
It's a part of what we have evolved from.
This game plays in such a time, so get over yourself, put yourself in character of someone during that time, and stop comparing everything to current day values.
Indeed a massive crybaby overreaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sd1612 wrote:
You realized EVERY race in the world had slavery.

Umm... no.

I think it's ok to feel uncomfortable and/or "disturbed" by certain topics. I think it shows that our society has evolved. However, I also don't believe that we should avoid or hide historical subjects because they are considered "disturbing" by today's standards. Don't glorify it, but also don't hide it and pretend it didn't happen. Treat the subject with respect for the sake of the victims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuropuppy wrote:
Right, because we all should just be fine with roleplaying slave times. You sound like you'd enjoy the Concentration Camp commander game a previous poster mentioned. How about a game where you play an agent of King Herod killing Hebrew babies in search of Jesus? It's what they did back then, right? It's one thing to learn about and from history, it's another thing to reenact it in a family friendly format.

Yes, we should be fine with. Or more precisely, WE should be fine with OTHERS playing it. Why should YOU be bothered by someone else enjoying a Concentration Camp game? Or tasteless jokes? Or super-violent movies? If YOU don't like it, fine, stay away from it! You have absolutely no right to take away someone else's fun. (as long as it's not hurting anyone) We're talking about games here, please don't forget that. And why NOT learn about it in a family friendly format? (they'll find out about it on the internet sooner or later anyway) Are you afraid kids will turn into nazis if they learn about WWII? Or serial killers if you play Mr. Jack? Come on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any war game about real world events would have the same connotations of human evil... Bullets ripping though people, events which lead to the end of millions of lives.

But in the form of a game, people look past the horrors and focus on the fun.

You have games with varying degrees of violence in your collection, so you are ok with it to a degree... So is it the simple fact of slavery that makes you feel so violated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Political comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Bigoted comments ARE NOT welcome here and can result in being permanently banned from the site

Thread locked at OP request

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.