24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Competitive Party Game for Teams (Flick Em Up! perhaps?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Allaway
msg tools
Hi

I've looking for a game that can accommodate a large number of people that is quick to play and teach. So far, so party game. However, ideally I'd like the game to have a competitive element that allow some kind of scoring between 2 teams. The session is part of a stag weekend where will be doing lots of Big Men vs Little Men activities you see. So if drinking games can be incorporated (or drinking penalties) even better.

Whilst I have a few party games (Codenames, Spyfall, Telestrations etc.) None really offer what I am looking for.

Initially I thought about Pitchcar, but feel that without numerous expansions, the base set just isn't exciting enough. Plus, I don't know how much I'd play it outside the day to warrant the cost of the base set + 2 expansions.

This has lead me onto Flick Em Up, as it can easily accommodate a team battle with players dipping in and out as and when they like or when they arrive. However, I've been slightly put off by the ratings for large player numbers for the game. Does anyone have experience of the game to comment whether this will be a good choice?

Other options involve co-operative games where each team can take turns to try and complete the task (Escape Curse of the Temple, Fuse etc.) I don't know how these can be 'scored' as such though.

Does anyone else think of any recommendations that might suit?

Note that pretty much all players are not really gamers, so easy learning curve is vital.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
Monikers

You could also use words/names customized for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
Thanks for the recommendation. I've actually played Monikers with a few of them before at a NYE party. Whilst I did consider it, I'm not sure it'll work this time as it involves too much 'investment' due to the structure.

Ideally I need a game that can accommodate people dropping in and out as and when they want to. Plus as everyone will not be arriving at the same time, something that is either quick (so can easily be replayed with a new set of people) or is team based but turns can be taken by anyone (hence why I am thinking of Flick Em Up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Monikers.

I'd also suggest One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Two easily defined teams, and the free app runs all the gameplay. Each round is only 7-10 minutes long, so "penalties" can be applied each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
Do you have any suggestions as to how scoring work for ONUW if players were split into two teams?

Sorry only played it once and my experience was ruined by one player not grasping it AT ALL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tumblin-Dice
Formula D
Codenames: Deep Undercover

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
Thanks for the recommendations. Sadly...

1)I'm afraid to say that Tumblin-Dice just doesn't look like something the group would be interested in. I think it needs a wow-factor of sorts.

2) This looks great, but I fear the game length is too long.

3) I already have Codenames and could be tempted to try playing it with Cards Against Humanity cards to replicate this version. However, my only issue with Codenames is that unless every Spymaster is particularly creative, the game seems to result in a lot of 'Word: 1' clues. Plus, despite that fact that I find the game clever, I've never really found it funny. In truth, I actually think playing Telestrations would probably be the better choice than Codenames. Especially with CAH cards (which btw is brilliant).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
no realy this is blank
badge
HOBBES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Quite work for the two team but Saboteur plays rounds super quick, get people thinking about who is on the other team and scales among the very best up to higher player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Grayslake
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wits & Wagers Party?

If you're looking for a dexterity game WeyKick is what you need!! ...or maybe it's baby brother, KLASK.

I wouldn't play more than 4 player Flick 'em Up due to downtime and if people are popping in and out, lack of continuity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrossTalk

This game has completely replaced Codenames for us. In a nutshell:

2 teams, 1 clue giver (CG) per team. The CGs are trying to get their team to guess the same phrase (single word, person, song title, saying, etc). They each give their team a hidden clue (single word only) - the other team doesn't see it. Then they start giving public clues, one at a time. The catch is that when CG A gives a clue, team B gets a chance to guess. And when CG B gives a clue, team A gets a chance to guess. So the CG wants to be very specific in their hidden clue, and very vague in their public clues but still have those public clues tie into their private clue.

Teams have 3 white boards each to use to write their ideas on, so they don't give anything away to the other team.

It's easy enough for people to pop in and out; it's a quick explanation to get someone new up to speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
Thanks for recommending Crosstalk. It sounds great and reviews of it look good too. I'm not sure it's really what I'm looking for for this particular event, but it's definitely going on the list for the future. Particularly if it gets a wider release here in the UK.

I think that's a game for a dinner party when we have couples over rather than the dozen or so guys I have over as part of the stag do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
@Brian

Yes Wits and Wagers was on the list of possible solutions. The only problem I've read about it the heavy US slant to the questions. I definitely like the idea of betting though. To the extent that if Panic on Wall Street was at all obtainable in the UK, I'd probably go for that.

Will look up videos of Wits and Wagers. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Word on the Street : When a team gets a letter off the board, the other team drinks.

Who's the Dude? : since it is a stag party (I assume that is the UK version of a bachelor party), maybe substitute another type of blow-up doll.. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a drinking game, you could turn a dexterity or speed game into a drinking game pretty easily. Level the playing field with alcohol... ninja

Animal Upon Animal - Successfully place a piece? Have a drink!
Jungle Speed - Win a race/competition/not sure what you call it when two people have the same card up? Have a drink!

And so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
What are big men vs little men activities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb K
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the following suggestions would work:

Get two copies of the same escape room game (Unlock or Exit). See which team can escape the quickest

Magic Maze - break into two smaller groups and see who can complete specific scenario(s) in the shortest time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
Thanks for the additional recommendations all. I can definitely see a few of them working. That said however, I'm still leaning towards a dexterity game the more I think about it, especially given the real lack of options for larger number competitive games. I really like the idea of theming the rest of the elements of the day around Flick Em Up too (tequila for penalty shots, Marty Robbins on the stereo, tex-me food etc.) I'm not sure how many other options can offer this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
One question though... does Magic Maze offer anything over Escape Curse of the Temple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Superficially Flick em Up probably checks the most boxes for your needs but the pacing of that game is awful. It takes a while to setup, there's fiddly turn order and health tracking (the turn order hats were a terrible idea!), the provided scenarios are dull, and the flick to move then flick to shoot is just annoying (the shooting is where the fun is at). The game needs a good variant to streamline it and make it fun.

Depending on what they think of Sci Fi, another one that could work is flip ships bit it's co-op. Maybe if you bought a couple of sets you could do a race to finish and maybe introduce some sort of sabotage element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb

Along the lines of Flick em up but perhaps with more variety. May be hard to find though..

Disc Duelers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb K
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
individyouall wrote:
One question though... does Magic Maze offer anything over Escape Curse of the Temple?

I have not played Escape Curse of the Temple.

Magic Maze has a short play length. It is timed so it plays close to what it says. Although the group does have the ability to reset the timer on occassion. The other thing you need to know is that it mostly played in silence. When resetting the timer, you can briefly strategize, but the rest of the time, the group is relying on other forms of communication. It is a lot fun, can be challenging and their are several different scenarios included in the game.

I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
+1 for Word on the Street
Word Slam
Banned Words

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
Any thoughts on Pit Crew?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
Just to close this thread, I ended up getting Flick 'Em Up! in the end and even though we didn't manage to finish the game with so many players, we had a great time. It's description as a 'beer and pretzel game' is spot on.

Since then, I have played the game with a smaller group (5) and completed a full game. Again, everyone loved it and was surprised by a) how difficult it is when you follow the flicking rules and b) how strategic it is.

The game is without doubt a permanent feature of my collection now and I cannot wait until my daughter grows old enough to challenge me to a battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.