Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To all:

Just want to get clarification on this. I own the base game only and in a few adventure cards, even when you defeat the adventure one of the icons indicates adding a doom token to the track. I have read here where one of the expansions changes those cards. So, moving forward should I ignore the adding of a doom token upon successful completion? Has something replaced it? Perhaps down the road I will get Unseen Forces but for now I just want to play it right.

Thanks!

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play by the rules you have. If an expansion changes those rules, it may change other rules to balance it.

As I recall, from playing a few times, those doom tokens on success completion were key factors in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haley
United States
Scappoose
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this forum. It has the answer from the designer on this question.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1913455/using-replacement-o...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
Play by the rules you have. If an expansion changes those rules, it may change other rules to balance it.

As I recall, from playing a few times, those doom tokens on success completion were key factors in the game.

I don't feel like they changed anything but the doom icons in order to balance it. I put my old adventure cards away for the hell of it. When I get home, I'll look to compare but I feel like they mostly just changed the doom symbols with ally card draws.

I'll report later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Clinton. I'll look forward to your response. That other thread noted in another response didn't fully clarify my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
afjb wrote:
To all:

Just want to get clarification on this. I own the base game only and in a few adventure cards, even when you defeat the adventure one of the icons indicates adding a doom token to the track. I have read here where one of the expansions changes those cards. So, moving forward should I ignore the adding of a doom token upon successful completion? Has something replaced it? Perhaps down the road I will get Unseen Forces but for now I just want to play it right.

Thanks!

Tony

Tony,

feel free to ignore those doom icons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Julia. You seem to be very knowledgeable regarding this game. I appreciate your help very much.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
ParanĂ¡
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, i know i can ignore them, but if i do, i will make the game easier, and i don't want that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised, here are the revisions. And for the record, ignoring the doom icons as Julie suggested will not make the game easier. Much the opposite, you'll be missing out on the rewards they turned into on the revised printing.

I have examined all of these cards very carefully to ensure that the trophy value, tasks, and penalties are the same in both printings. Only the rewards have changed.

City of the Great Race. Replaces Doom with 2x Uncommon (3 total)

Great Hall of Celeano. Replaces Doom with Reprieve.

Plateau of Leng. Replaces Doom with Reprieve.

The Abyss. Replaces Doom with Elder Sign (2 total).

The Elder Sign. Replaces Doom with Reprieve.

Note: Reprieve is a new symbol from Unseen Forces that allows you to remove one doom token from the Ancient One's doom track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
...And for the record, ignoring the doom icons as Julie suggested will not make the game easier.

This statement cannot be the case. Less doom tokens on the doom track = easier game, hands down. Not having to avoid certain adventures (which might be the case if you can't afford the reward condition), and thereby opening up options, = easier game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Carcking wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
...And for the record, ignoring the doom icons as Julie suggested will not make the game easier.

This statement cannot be the case. Less doom tokens on the doom track = easier game, hands down. Not having to avoid certain adventures (which might be the case if you can't afford the reward condition), and thereby opening up options, = easier game.

Yep. I couldn't cross-reference cards so that I kinda missed that not only we had the doom icons removed, but we also have extra goodies coming - my apologies to the OP - but yeah, definitely less doom = easier game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, so I guess the "official" answer is to abide by the original adventure cards until I purchase the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afjb wrote:
Thanks everyone, so I guess the "official" answer is to abide by the original adventure cards until I purchase the expansions?

Play the way your group likes. You can make the game harder or easier to taste really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

I meant its not easier than what FFG revised the cards to.

Which of these makes the game easier?

A) Gain an elder sign and doom (but ignore the doom)
B) Gain an elder sign and remove one doom from the doom track

By just ignoring the add doom, you are missing out on the rewards they are supposed to be. Easier than the misprinted cards, yes. Not easier than the corrected cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add a doom token as written on your card when you have not Unseen Forces expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.