Hank Burkhalter
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

While this egregious march is made, the potential victims twiddle
their collective thumbs until they are pinned. For those who do not
think this should happen, these rules are offered.

The potential victims can do a bit more. One is not being a victim at all but the aggressor. The active enemy unit is trying 'run away' and moves from an adjacent hex to a hex two hexes away from your infantry, who then may reaction move forward. Or a cavalry unit from three hexes. So a house rule to this optional rule is the triggering active unit must be moving equidistant or closer to the reacting unit.

A second thing is not worrying about getting 'pinned from the flank', but about any combat at all via the possible multiple backup moves. So to house rule this optional rule, a unit my only react with a hex move Once during an enemy command activation.

Though sometimes only one backup is needed (again, not talking 'pinned from the flank', just flat out combat avoidance). The meanest may be an enemy cavalry with a two hex charge range, which over open ground for a max impact charge is 3 hexes away and a reaction movement trigger hex for cavalry.Say you have your three cavalry units in a line watching the enemy bringing up 5 cavalry units (stacking some) 3 hexes away for a charge, then as the 5th enemy Cavalry takes his spot, which happens to be 3 hexes from all three of your cavalry... all three backup one hex. No charge.

For Mollwitz would suggest no, zero, one hex moves allowed, just formation/facing change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I ask who/what you are quoting at the beginning of your post? I'm trying to understand the context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the intro to the Reaction Rules in the Optional rules supplement from the BAR website. In essence, this is proposing a house rule to the optional rule. I haven't tried the optional Reaction rules myself, just because I haven't really felt like I needed them. I'm also a bit leery that Reaction could open up a big can of worms about moving and sequencing of events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.